1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Challenging traditional Translation choices.

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Van, Aug 16, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RipponRedeaux

RipponRedeaux Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I understand Van. Simple questions such as the above are too challenging for you. It taxes your limited resources.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Now the poster who only posts "taint so" says "he now knows so!" Give me a break. :)

3. RipponRedeaux

Faith:
    Baptist
    I just broke you.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    On and on, off topic posts of disparagement are allowed. This joker has never even read Romans 12. And if he did, he has no memory of it. And if he does, he has no understanding of it. He calls Romans 12 unbiblical. Go figure!!!

5. RipponRedeaux

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, well. That's quite a bold-faced lie Van. How could you make up such a stupid thing as saying either 1) I have never read Romans 12, or 2) I call Romans 12 unbiblical?
    Where in the world did that come from? I love all of Scripture including the book of Romans, including the twelfth chapter? What triggered you to say such a thing? You know that Calvinists such as myself have a special regard for the book of Romans, don't you?
    Van, I caution you to read verses 1 and 2 of this chapter and apply it to your life :

Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God ---this is your true and proper worship. Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is --his good, pleasing and perfect will. (NIV)

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. George Antonios

George Antonios Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Waste of a thread. Going back to my Bible and saving myself time and effort.
    KJB 1Co 11:3 But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God.
    Carry on.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is at least the second time you have claimed any view that deviates from the deeply flawed KJV is a waste. Give it a rest. If you must post your nonsense, please post it on you own threads. Stop attempting to waste threads discussing how to improve or possibly improve our understanding of God's word!!!

8. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here is an alternate translation of 1 Corinthians 11:3 that is apparently consistent with the Greek grammar of the text:
    Yet I am willing you be aware that the head of every person is the Christ, even so the head of a wife is the husband, as God is the head of Christ.

The Greek word translated person is often translated as "man or husband" but can also be translated as "human" or "person" when the group in view contains both male and female, as in this case.

While each born anew person's head is Christ, the wife models our relationship with God by acting under the authority of her loving husband, as we operate under the authority of our loving God. This helps to imbue our families with an understanding of doing for others based on love. For example, if you love God, you will keep His commandments.

9. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Quote without comment:
    Live in harmony with one another. Do not be proud, but be willing to associate with people of low position. Do not be conceited. Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everyone. If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone.​

10. RipponRedeaux

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not only are you violating Greek grammar, but English grammar as well. I corrected you earlier, but you must have missed my advice. To be a genuine translator you must know the original language(s) and also know the receptor language. In this case, English is problematic for you.

Doesn't it make better grammatical sense to say "I want you to be aware." Or, "I wish that you were aware." Or, "I hope that you are aware." Or, "I want you to understand." Or, "I want you to realize." Or, "I want you to know."

There lots of standard English alternatives.

And of course, the word "person" is completely unacceptable for this verse as I pointed out earlier. Verses 3 to 12 are setting off distinctions between men and women. You have no right to twist Scripture for any reason.

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What are some of the other alternate readings (or understandings) of 1 Corinthians 11:3:

Here are a few:

11:3 But there is one matter I want to remind you about: that a wife is responsible to her husband, her husband is responsible to Christ, and Christ is responsible to God.

11:3 Or to know: The source of every man is Christ, the source of woman is man, and the source of Christ is God.

11:3 Or to know: Every man is responsible to Christ, a woman is responsible to her husband, and Christ is responsible to God.

11:3 But I want you to understand that Christ is the head of every person, and Adam was the head of Eve, and God is the head of the Messiah.

If we put together yet another view, we get:

11:3 I want you to understand that Christ is responsible to God, that every person is responsible to Christ, even so a wife is responsible to her husband.

#31 Van, Aug 19, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2021
  12. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    1 Corinthians 7:3
    The husband must fulfill his duty to his wife, and likewise also the wife to her husband. (To model the relationship between our loving God and obedient believers.)

1 Corinthians 7:4
    The wife does not have authority over her own body, but the husband does; and likewise also the husband does not have authority over his own body, but the wife does. (The modeling is a two way street, both must do their part.)

13. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ephesians 5:23
    For the husband is the head of the wife, as Christ also is the head of the church, He Himself being the Savior of the body.

Here we see the mandate for modeling our relationship with Christ within the roles of husband and wife.

This alternate rendering of 1 Corinthians 11:3 reinforces Paul's consistent message:

Yet I am willing you be aware that the head of every person is the Christ, even so the head of a wife is the husband, as God is the head of Christ.

The Greek word translated person is often translated as "man or husband" but can also be translated as "human" or "person" when the group in view contains both male and female, as in this case.

While each born anew person's head is Christ, the wife models our relationship with God by acting under the authority of her loving husband, as we operate under the authority of our loving God. This helps to imbue our families with an understanding of doing for others based on love. For example, if you love God, you will keep His commandments.

14. RipponRedeaux

Faith:
    Baptist
    The above is from The Hillbilly Bible, Ozark edition.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    One way to look at allowing naysayers to disrupt thread after thread is the naysayers are actually glorifying those they attack. Does not make it right...

16. RipponRedeaux

Faith:
    Baptist
    I glorify no one but God. Shame on you Van.

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The level of ignorance concerning biblical truth is mind-boggling. He seems not to even know how insults glorify believers!!

18. RipponRedeaux

Faith:
    Baptist
    Believers cannot be glorified by anyone, fellow believers or hell-bound ones Van.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ephesians 5:23
    For the husband is the head of the wife, as Christ also is the head of the church, He Himself being the Savior of the body.

Here we see the mandate for modeling our relationship with Christ within the roles of husband and wife.

This alternate rendering of 1 Corinthians 11:3 reinforces Paul's consistent message:

20. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This version of 1 Corinthians 11:3 is apparently consistent with Greek grammar:

Yet I am willing you be aware that the head of every person is the Christ, even so the head of a wife is the husband, as God is the head of Christ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.