1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Champions of moderation- not abstinence

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Luke2427, Jun 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Winman

Winman Active Member

I am asking you how your wife feels about your drinking? Is she fine with it? Does it ever bother her? If so, why does it bother her?

I personally don't drink, so I can't answer a question like this.

2. Inspector Javert

Inspector Javert Active Member

Personally......I was able to do this about 3 days ago. My neighbor was laboring in the hot summer sun mowing his lawn with his $200 Craftsman push-mower.

I jumped on my $2,500 40" zero-turn Ariens commercial mower with a cold Yuengling and polished off his lawn in about 5 mins.......and then rode up to the sweat-soaked young man with an ice-cold refreshing brew.

I'm white and he is black....and his reaction was such that, after jawing about the "Gators" and the "Jaguars" a bit...he opened-up, and I could share Christ with him and hand him a gospel tract. (A KJV one of course :laugh:). Anyone who thinks that it "hurts your witness" to give a sweat-soaked young man a refreshing cold beer...............has never tried to witness to such an individual after handing him one. It works! :thumbs:

3. Winman

Winman Active Member

I wasn't implying anything, simply curious. We all have to stand before God and give account for ourselves someday, but we have to stand before our wives NOW. :laugh:

4. Inspector Javert

Inspector Javert Active Member

O.K........"teetotaler-speak" grates on my nerves to no end sometimes. I usually avoid these kinds of threads (I usually simply refuse to read them)....because most teetotalers speak nothing but nonsense. I got my dander up and got defensive :mad:

Sorry if I jumped to conclusions about your intent :eek:

5. Winman

Winman Active Member

That's ok. It was a very cruel question, I freely admit that. :thumbs:

I would still be interested in how Luke and others would answer this.

6. michael-acts17:11

Site Supporter

:thumbsup::thumbsup::applause::thumbsup:

7. Herald

Herald New Member

The most important thing in this whole discussion is not to call your brother's liberty evil. Likewise your brother is not to call your voluntary limit on liberty (commonly referred to as a scruple) evil. Both sides need to consider how their view of Christian liberty can effect others and take strides to eliminate or lessen any negative perceptions. After all we are our brother's keeper.

8. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Fried chicken..southern thing not Baptist thing. Up in Yankee land its baked ziti.

9. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yingling...An American made lager! :thumbs:

10. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My wife, being a recovering alcoholic, knows full well the difference between a drunk and a non drunk. She is fine with my drinking cause I'm not an abuser.

11. michael-acts17:11

Site Supporter

Christ made fermented wine for those who were already intoxicated. If you don't think the wine was fermented, or that the drinkers were already intoxicated, you could be a (1) a fundamentalist, (2) don't have access to a concordance, or (3) have no desire to look up the original meanings of the words of Scripture; just to continue believing what you have been taught.

"And the third day there was a marriage in Cana of Galilee; and the mother of Jesus was there: And both Jesus was called, and his disciples, to the marriage. And when they wanted wine, the mother of Jesus saith unto him, They have no wine. Jesus saith unto her, Woman, what have I to do with thee? mine hour is not yet come. His mother saith unto the servants, Whatsoever he saith unto you, do it. And there were set there six waterpots of stone, after the manner of the purifying of the Jews, containing two or three firkins apiece. Jesus saith unto them, Fill the waterpots with water. And they filled them up to the brim. And he saith unto them, Draw out now, and bear unto the governor of the feast. And they bare it. When the ruler of the feast had tasted the water that was made wine, and knew not whence it was: (but the servants which drew the water knew;) the governor of the feast called the bridegroom, And saith unto him, Every man at the beginning doth set forth good wine; and when men have well drunk(to drink to intoxication), then that which is worse: but thou hast kept the good wine until now. This beginning of miracles did Jesus in Cana of Galilee, and manifested forth his glory; and his disciples believed on him" (John 2:1-11)

12. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Amen!

Christians the world over win souls to Christ over a beer.

It is just in this country where we still have so many very backwoods, hayseed IFB type Christians that it is taboo. But numbers of such people are are rapidly diminishing... And I can't wait to see the last one go.

I honestly believe revival will come to this country when we finally shake off the vestiges of fundy thought.

13. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Here is one that preached against it just last Sunday.

[​IMG]

14. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I hear you can spot them a mile away. They just got a certain look about them.

[​IMG]

15. HisWitness

HisWitness New Member

and that nasty PIG that YAH said NOT to consume--:smilewinkgrin:

16. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

I don't understand.

17. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Luke,

This is a well thought out post. Perhaps reading Desiring God by John Piper has helped you, as Piper does not argue we cannot enjoy life, but that we can! Christian Heidionism means we can enjoy life and be glad, but be glad in God for He brings us delight!

18. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No one wants to get drunk. There is nothing wrong with having a Mikes Lemonade while I eat my chicken while I watch TV, or read. This is not sin, so stop trying to turn it into a sin.

19. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would not take it that far Luke. People have the right to choose not to drink or to drink. Its not wise to condemn those that choose to abstain from alcoholic beverages. Have you read the Meat and vegetables chapter in Romans? Luke we need to not do anything that would cause another brother to stumble and that includes drinking if it does. However if it does not we have the freedom to drink if we do mot get drunk and sin.

20. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Who said they don't have a right to abstain?

What I am saying is that they should not preach against moderation.

In the Kingdom, they do NOT have the right to impugne Christian liberty.
    They do not have the right to condemn what God commends.
    They do not have the right to spread ignorance.

I don't think we ought to play patty-cake with such people.
    They are a hindrance to Kingdom work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.