1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Changing doctrine:

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Salty, Mar 29, 2022.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Found this on a FB page:

Well this should be interesting, an SBC pastor in my area met with his church council to let them know he has come to the conviction that they should start baptizing babies. For them to do this, would require a change in their Constitution and bylaws. The council has agreed to allow him to preach a series on why he has come to this conviction. At the end, they will either ask for his resignation or change the constitution.
    Do any of you know of any SBC that does baby baptisms? (This is not like a dedication service)

So what would be your answer:

• Like Like x 1
  2. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don’t know any other SBC church to baptize infants. That’s sort of a big thing in baptists circles.

I do think Martin Luther had a really good argument for infant baptism (though I don’t agree)

Since salvation is of God Holy Spirit, perhaps babies can communicate (spiritually) with God Holy Spirit in a way He understands but we do not.

That gives me some reassurance for my belief all infants that die go to heaven.

peace to you

• Like Like x 1
  3. alexander284

alexander284 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'd say he should find himself a PCA church to preach in.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That SBC church should have called for his immediate resignation or fired him.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Correct.
    The normative argument for infant baptism is a slippery slope that can easily be compromised into baptismal regeneration. It is a distinction of baptists that we hold to a regulative principle on baptism which keeps us from baptizing anyone who cannot confess their faith.

6. Bible Thumpin n Gun Totin

Bible Thumpin n Gun Totin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    By the sound of it the Church Council seems willing to hear him out. If I had a pastor that served my Church for a long time I'd be willing to let him state his beliefs in a sermon, so long as he's not preaching blasphemy. And while I don't agree with infant baptism, I don't think it's anywhere near blasphemy. I probably wouldn't want a sermon "series" though.

If the Church already leans reformed it's only a small leap from Reformed Baptist to baptizing babies. That's one of the reasons Reformed Baptists and Presbyterians get along so well. Even Non-Reformed Baptists get along pretty good with Presbyterians usually.

7. atpollard

atpollard Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    no.
    In for a penny, In for a pound ...
    ... They should PRAY to the Blessed Virgin for Guidance and seek reconciliation to the Holy Father in Rome. (They have the SWAG to do Baby Baptisms right)!

... OR reread the Baptist Faith and Message and kick him to the curb.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

He should resign from that church, and seek ordination in a Presbyterian church!

His new conviction regarding water baptism is not Baptist!

9. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yea, nip it in the bud and can him now before it takes root and grows. 'Baptismal regeneration' advocates Alexander Campbell and 'Raccoon' John Smith ripped the Old Baptists apart right here in the Bluegrass early 1800s, and spawned the Church Of Christ denomination, Arminian to the hilt.

Right here in my county there are large 'Christian' denomination* churches that first began as Baptist.

* 'new school' Church Of Christ

#9 kyredneck, Mar 30, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2022
  10. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Baptist?

11. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, but some baby dedications border on the Catholic sprinkling.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Should just go ahead and fire him.

13. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    For A Baptist to properly Baptize a Baby, the baby would have to be completely immersed. Might drown a few that way.

14. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Orthodox Church does that. So far, no drownings.
    When my children were first year infants, I would bring them to the pool and dunk them. They all have a natural reflex to stop breathing under water. No big deal with dunking.
    The issue comes in how one would define covenant people and how these people are identified. There is a biblical argument for children being a part of the covenant, even before having faith. Is it set in a regulative principle? No. But, there is a normative principle that allows for infant baptism.
    As a baptist, I follow the regulative principle and thus do not promote infant baptism.
    However, to play a bit of a devil's advocate, many baptist churches have infant dedication services. There is no regulative principle for this being done. Instead, it is inferred through a few select verses. Infant baptism is also inferred by a few select verses.

• Like Like x 1
  15. atpollard

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hah ... wait til it comes time to explain why the Baptized Babies cannot become Voting Members!
    (per the by-laws ... I mean if he was baptized then the infant must have made a credible confession of faith, so what blocks his full membership - he is growing every day!)

16. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Greek Orthodox immerse babies.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. atpollard

Faith:
    Baptist
    In one video I saw, a better description would be "Greek Orthodox spin babies like a baton, sheer terror written large across infant faces, as they are repeatedly plunged into a dunking tank." :)

"There are no atheists in foxholes" was the thought that crossed my mind watching it ... I believe THAT baby met God!

[EDIT] found it:

#17 atpollard, Mar 30, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2022
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. Bible Thumpin n Gun Totin

Bible Thumpin n Gun Totin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, that wouldn't be good.

I don't ever want to have to do chest compressions on a child. Immersing babies is good way to cause it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    All of you are missing the sarcasm. We dunk folks right. Deep and hold them a while.

20. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would privately counsel this confused brother, but NEVER allow him near the pulpit again. If he is so twisted into false teaching, why would a church council allow him the authority to teach this error to the body?

The area churches might ask for a time of prayer/instruction with this weak "board" that has decided to no longer defend the faith.

Or change the church name to the "Depends Church" since it seems they are no longer Baptist and probably need those undergarments.

• Funny Funny x 1