1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Changing Name to Witness

Discussion in 'Evangelism, Missions & Witnessing' started by Christenstein, Aug 23, 2007.

1. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

Sorry, but Christenstein does not mean what you say. "Stein" means stone in German, and Christen...well, I don't know. If you want a German made up name like that, it would sound more like Christianwerk. Jusy my 2 cents.

love,

Sopranette

2. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

Relax. He's just teasing you. He's not trying to be mean. Personally, being a huge "Young Frankenstein" fan, I thought it was kind of funny.

Now, if you'll please walk this way...

Seriously, though, I can't imagine why you would need a new name to witness, unless, I don't know, God calls you to go to Israel and your last name's Hitler or something like that.

As long as it doesn't take the focus off of Christ, I'm really much more concerned that somebody's name is in the Lamb's Book of Life than the name on their driver's license.

3. Janet1983

Janet1983 New Member

That's a good one! I mean if he'd continued as Saul people wouldn't have listened, because he said sth else before and he was actually hunting them down. In that case it's brilliant.
    By the way here is the meaning of the names:
    Saul From the Hebrew name שָׁאוּל (Sha'ul) which meant "asked for" or "prayed for".
    Paul From the Roman family name Paulus, which meant "small" or "humble" in Latin.
    The point is that "Paul" means small or humble. I think this does say something as well. He was one of the worst persecutors and that name did remind him of that. He gives himself the worst describtions in his letters. I guess that name was a pretty steady reminder and as a roman citizen he was capable of Latin... It is just as if he was being named "Small one".
    In that context a name change makes sense. In most other cases I don't think so... why should one change the name? It's not your name that makes you a good christian.