1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Children

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by iasusxrist, Sep 7, 2009.

1. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Christianity grows by the second birth, not the first birth (John 3).

2. iasusxrist

iasusxrist Guest

Be fruitful and multiply:
    If it was 'not' a command to Adam specifically, but to mankind: Could Adam have Rightly stayed single (1Co 7) and not had children, without breaking this command?

The only question is, was Adam already "married" when this command came about?

3. Johnv

Johnv New Member

To the question, "Could Adam have Rightly stayed single (1Co 7) and not had children, without breaking this command?", first of all, 1Cor 7 did not yet exist. Second, if there were other members of humanity that were procreating, then it did not fall to Adam alone. Since, however, the narrative has Adam and Eve being the lone members of humanity, it's a given that they would have had to procreate in order for the command to be in effect.

To the question, "was Adam already 'married' when this command came about?" Dunno, and it's not important either way.

4. iasusxrist

iasusxrist Guest

What other members were there, John? Has not all mankind come through Adam, even before noah - hence the curse on all men?

5. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I didn't say there were other members. I said "if" there were others, "then" it wouldn't fall to Adam.

6. iasusxrist

iasusxrist Guest

I see.

How is it not important that Adam was married or not?

One of two things happens:
    Either singleness was allowed before 1Co 7, and his marriage "could" mean that all 'married' people are commanded to multiply, and it applied both directly to Adam because he was married, and to all peoples.

Or, that command was to all of mankind, and no longer is to all of mankind - because 1Co 7 clearly states that singleness is allowed.

7. Johnv

Johnv New Member

The reason it doesn't matter is because by the time Adam and Eve had children there's a clear presuption that they were married.

8. Repent-or-Burn

Repent-or-Burn New Member

Adam and Eve were married when the command was given, I think. 'Flesh of my flesh.' This "may" not mean One Flesh.. thoughts?
    PS 127 cannot be countered by the adoption argument, for it is "the fruit of the womb." I would take this to mean Her womb, not someone else's.

I am now convinced that we Are required to have children, if possible - and if married.
    Be fruitful, and multiply... 'Replenish the earth.'
    It would have been an impossibility for Adam to do this, and the same command was given to Noah - with the, subdue the earth, part removed. Thus, that has been accomplished. We cannot see this is the goal of multiplication. The goal is to replenish the earth.

The only argument that I myself can see, is as to what replenish means... .. Possibly, the part on being single in 1co 7 - but that seems weak at best. Adam and Eve "were already married when" this command was given.

Thoughts?

#48 Repent-or-Burn, Sep 21, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2009
  9. sag38

sag38 Active Member

If you are personally convinced of this then I hope you are trying to have children. But, I think you are taking the scripture to far to demand that married people have children.

10. Repent-or-Burn

Sag,

Would you care to address my last post, and show me how it is being taken too far? :)

11. Johnv

Johnv New Member

"Flesh of my flesh" referrs to Eve being an equal to Adam. It is not a reference to whether or not they were married.

Now, in regards to "be fruitful and multiply", I've previously noted that this is a command given to peoples as a whole, not to individuals as a married couple. It is not a commandment telling every couple to have at lest x number of children. Note that individuals cannot have enough children to replenish the earth.

There is no scriptural command that requires a married person or persons to have children as a matter of obedience. Choosing to have children, and choosing how many children to have, is entirely between a couple and God, and does not involve anyone else.

12. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

I thought it was a statement made by Adam becasue Eve was created by God using Adam's flesh, a rib. Therefore he called her "woman" "from-man" and said she was flesh of his flesh, and bone of his bone.

And in this is a great mystery according the Scripture, found in Ephesians speaking of Christ and His Church. We are flesh of His flesh, and bone of His bone.

13. Repent-or-Burn

14. Repent-or-Burn

Reformed Baptist,

Eph 5:29 For no man ever yet hated his own flesh; but nourisheth and cherisheth it, even as the Lord the church:
    Eph 5:30 For we are members of his body, of his flesh, and of his bones.
    Eph 5:31 For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and shall be joined unto his wife, and they two shall be one flesh.

It seems to be saying exactly that they 'are' one flesh in, in the marriage context???