1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Christ, Christmas or Easter

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by ShotGunWillie, Aug 22, 2008.

1. ShotGunWillie

ShotGunWillie New Member

This has probably been discussed before, but I am reading a book for one of my classes by Elmer Tonwns and it has me thinking. Which is the most significant event, the Birth of Christ or His Death, Burial, and Resurrection. I have my opinion. But, why is Christmas and the Christmas story of Christ so much more known than the Resurrection. Everyone in the US knows about Christ's birth, but not everyone knows why we celebrate Easter or the Resurrection.

2. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I have to choose the resurrection, and please understand that I don't intend to denigrate the others.

The birth of Jesus was an event of great joy and great importance, since God came to earth as a human being, born of woman just as we are.

When Jesus died on the cross, it was a demonstration of great love toward people who did not deserve that love. It was absolutely necessary if God was going be just in punishing every sin, but extending forgiveness to sinners.

But if Jesus had not risen, his comng and his death would have been meaningless. It would have mean he was no better than we are--that, in fact, he was not God.

Jesus' resurrection was the Father's vindication of all the the Son had done. It was not an after thought. God intended to do this from eternity past.

3. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Christmas is most likely better known because gifts are involved and people get something out of it.

I agree. The resurrection has greater weight.

4. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Can you really have one without the other?? Knowing that Jesus would be born so that he could die..... That is love.

5. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

No you can't

6. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Because a festival of peace and goodwill is easier to secularize than the Passion. Even if you throw out the religious aspects of Christmas, non-Christians can still find something to celebrate.

Aside from chocolate bunnies and the like and new clothing (which you don't really need unless, of course, you're planning to put on your Sunday best for Sunday), there just aren't enough secular accretions for a non-Christian to understand or want to celebrate about Easter. (And some traditions observe a period of deprivation before Easter, such as Lent, and that's not something a non-Christian would necessarily want to embrace.)

7. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, you can't; but you could have had the Incarnation without the Passion. The Passion and Resurrection is the pivot of history and of Christianity.

8. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Because, God sent the angels to announce Christ's coming, but no angels heralded His resurection?

9. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Women told. You would have thought it made it to the evening news. :tonofbricks:

10. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

yes...to all...

but since it has to be one the central distinguishing mark of orthodoxy Christianity is the resurrection of Christ. It is the ultimate event of history past, present, and future. By it we have the opportunity to be saved.
    :)

lots of people are born, just about all people die (with several exceptions), few have resurrected, no one else has ascended. That is the truth and promise of the Gospel.

11. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

Actually, the only people who celebrate His birth are Christians. Everyone else sees Christmas as a time of Santa and reindeer, traveling to see family, Christmas trees, presents, and a big dinner. Most people don't think about Jesus the Messiah being born into the world to save mankind from their sins.

Easter to most people is a time to show off your new clothes at church, or to hunt Easter eggs, and a big dinner. Most people don't think about Jesus the Messiah being crucified and then rising from the tomb so that we can have life eternal.

As to which is more important, I think they're equally important. Without His birth, we couldn't have His death. Without His death and resurrection, we wouldn't have any hope. We would be eternally lost in our sins.

12. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Here are more reasons I go with the resurrection. It is that Jesus' death, burial and resurrection are the gospel. We preach Christ crucified; we preach a risen Christ. If Christ is not risen, I vote to shut down our church, sell the building, split up the proceeds and have a party.

And both of our ordinances are geared around the gospel. Baptism pictures the gospel. The Lord's Supper remembers his death and the atonement, and looks forward to his return.

13. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Eggs-elent answer! :thumbs:

14. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :tongue3: I crack myself up!

Any, as some have intimated, why not Christmas AND Easter? We buy Easter gifts for our kids beside all the candy, and there's have a big family get-together on the eve of Easter.

15. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Is this why angels are almost always protrayed as female in modern works of art/media? :D