1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Christ Is The Rock

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Dan Edwin, Sep 14, 2008.

1. Dan Edwin

Dan Edwin New Member

And coming into the parts of Caesarea Philippi, Jesus asked His disciples, saying, Who do men say Me to be, the Son of Man? And they said, Some say, John the Baptist; some, Elijah; and others, Jeremiah, or one of the prophets. He said to them, But who do you say I am? And Simon Peter answered and said, You are the Christ, the Son of the living God (Matthew 16:13-16).

Jesus answered and said to him, You are blessed, Simon, son of Jonah, for flesh and blood did not reveal it to you, but My Father in Heaven. And I also say to you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build My church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it (Matthew 16:17-18). The Roman Catholic Church bases the authority of the papacy (Bishop of Rome) over the whole church on Peter being “the rock”.

The following verses show Christ is “the Rock”, not Peter. To see this we first need to understand that the church is the New Jerusalem the Apostle John saw coming down out of heaven from God.
    Then I, John, saw the holy city, New Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband (Revelation 21:2). Then one of the seven angels who had the seven bowls filled with the seven last plagues came to me and talked with me, saying, "Come, I will show you the bride, the Lamb's wife." And he carried me away in the Spirit to a great and high mountain, and showed me the great city, the holy Jerusalem, descending out of heaven from God, (Revelation 21:9-10).
    When we see this, we can see the Disciples of Christ are the twelve foundation blocks which the church is built upon, with the Apostle Peter being one of twelve “stones” or foundation blocks (“rocks”).

The next verse pertains to the Hebrews coming out of Egypt. And all drank the same spiritual drink; for they drank of the spiritual Rock that followed them, and that Rock was Christ (1 Corinthians 10:4). Christ is the Rock, and Peter is one of twelve rocks.

Christ is also referred to as “a Rock” of offense and a stumbling stone to unbelievers. As it is written, "Behold, I lay in Zion a Stumbling-stone and a Rock-of-offense, and everyone believing on Him shall not be put to shame" (Romans 9:33). Christ was a Rock of offense, a stumbling-stone to Israel, so through their unbelief, God has mercy on the Gentiles to save them first, and then all Israel will be saved.

In describing the church, the bride of Christ (New Jerusalem), John refers to Christ as the chief cornerstone. Now therefore you are no longer strangers and foreigners, but fellow citizens with the saints, and of the household of God, and are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ Himself being the chief cornerstone, (Ephesians 2:19-20). Christ is the chief cornerstone.

The Church as the bride of Christ is the city of God (New Jerusalem), the foundation of which is built upon the twelve apostles, with Jesus Christ being the chief cornerstone. The twelve apostles (including Peter) are the foundation (rocks) upon which the church is built. The wall of the city had twelve foundations, and in them were the names of the twelve apostles of the Lamb (Revelation 21:14).
    The whole point of this is that the Apostle Peter was a rock, but not “the Rock” upon which the church is built. As one of the Apostles, Peter was one foundation stone (rock) along with the other eleven Apostles, but he was not “the Rock”. Christ is “the Rock”, the chief cornerstone upon which the church is built.

An additional note: Children of sanctified believers were born of the Spirit and holy by receiving the Spirit when conceived through the seed of either parent with the Spirit (1 Corinthians 7:14). This was similar to the Spirit being passed on by conception through Jacob (Israel) and his offspring. This is why they were holy which qualified them to enter into the Holy City New Jerusalem when saved. This is why the names of the twelve sons of Jacob are on the pearly gates of the Holy City, New Jerusalem. The great multitude, which no one could number, received the Spirit as descendants of the 144,000 servants of God that were saved from the twelve tribes of Israel.

God bless

2. grace56

grace56 New Member

You can copy and paste all you want it still doesn't change real truths.

peace

3. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

That is right grace. And Dan should know that copying and pasting without giving reference is not only against BB rules, it is against copyright rules, it is unethical, and it is called plagiarism. It is actually illegal. One must give credit for posting information that is not his own. Where did the information come from. If it came from a website you must post the URL. If it came from a book you must give the name, author, page #, etc., as you would be required in any properly footnoted quote or in a Bibliography. Give honor where honor is due, credit where credit is due.

4. Dan Edwin

Dan Edwin New Member

These are our own writings prepared over the last eighteen years.

And yes, you are right. THE WORD OF THE LORD ENDURES FOREVER (1 Peter 1:25a).

And may we ask please, what is the "real truth"?

God bless

5. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

The year is 2008.
    Christ died in 29 AD.
    The Bible was complete by 100 AD.
    That leaves 1908 years between now and the end of the entire canon, and more than 2000 years between now and the birth of Christ.

I ask again: What group are you identifying yourself with.
    What are "your own writings from over the last 1800 years."
    Please identify them.
    If not, you still stand in violation of copyright rules, and of BB rules.

6. Dan Edwin

Dan Edwin New Member

The Spirit of the Lord came to us in the year 1991 and asked us to write a book. Our posts are some of the things we have prepared over these last eighteen years. We need to finalize a few more things and put it into a less theological format and into a more practical form others can understand.

Thank you

7. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

"The Spirit of the Lord came to us in the year 1991..."

Who is the "us"? What name have you given yourselves?

Another matter that is troubling is this:

Revelation 22:18-19 For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:
    19 And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.

When John penned these words as written in the last book of the Bible, the Book of Revelation, it was not just for the Book of Revelation, but Revelation being the last book of the Bible, the verses are applicable to the entire Bible.

The canon of Scripture is closed. There is no more revelation to be added after the Book of Revelation. Those that attempt such a thing fall under the curse of God.

Hebrews 1:1 God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets,
    --In the OT God spoke through the prophets. They were the spokesmen for God.

Hebrews 1:2 Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds;
    --In these last days God has spoken to us through his Son.
    His Son is revealed to us through His Word, and only through His Word in these days. God's revelation to mankind is closed. We find Christ through the Word which he has given to us.

8. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

There is no biblical support for such a claim. No one receives the Holy Spirit through conception. Where did you get this idea? The NT shows us that we receive the HS through faith.

9. Dan Edwin

Dan Edwin New Member

But when it pleased God, who separated me from my mother's womb and called me through His grace, to reveal His Son in me, that I might preach Him among the Gentiles, I did not immediately confer with flesh and blood, (Galatians 1:15-16).

Did you ever stop to think and ask yourself, "how could Saul of Tarsus have the Son of God in him when he was out arresting Christians"?

For the unbelieving husband is sanctified by the wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified by the husband; otherwise your children would be unclean, but now they are holy. (1 Corinthians 7:14)

How is a child born of a believer born holy, or how is the mate of a believer sanctified, even though they do not believe?

Referring to the nation of people Israel, "For if the firstfruit is holy, the lump is also holy; and if the root is holy, so are the branches (Romans 11:16)."

There is one body and one Spirit, just as you were called in one hope of your calling; one Lord, one faith, one baptism; one God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all (Ephesians 4:4-6).

And if the Spirit is through all and in all, then the Spirit is within the seed (sperm or egg) too; and within the seed, then in the embroyo conceived of that seed; and if part of the embroyo, then part of the child born of that embroyo.

And the stone that struck the image became a great mountain and filled the whole earth (Daniel 2:35b).

For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ all shall be made alive (1 Corinthians 15:22).

God bless

#9 Dan Edwin, Sep 16, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2008
  10. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Who's 'we' and 'us'? With which group do you identify? Are you actually wanting to discuss anything? Or are you just another troll?

11. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

"Holy" does not mean saved. It means "set apart."

Yes, Jesus was revealed to Paul, but not "in" him before salvation. Jesus spoke to Paul, Paul believed and was saved, and then had the Son. Paul is talking about having Jesus revealed to Him upon salvation.

You are taking some of these verses as though you are a pantheist.