1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Christ made Sin?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Martin Marprelate, Aug 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    It was a pretty obscure passage in Numbers. God had sent snakes to punish Israel but had Moses make a bronze serpent and any who were not that looked upon the serpent would live.

It is sad you find this so pathetic. Jesus applies this to Himself (I just quoted the verse) saying as Moses lifted up the serpent so also will He be lifted up that all who believe will live.

2. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Six Hour Warning

This thread will be closed sometime after 3 AM Pacific.

3. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is not the text that is pathetic, but your attempt to avoid its rather obvious meaning. Nor is it obscure since the Lord Jesus saw fit to quote it for Nicodemus' benefit and ours. The brazen or fiery serpent is a picture of Christ made sin for us. Everyone who looks to the brazen serpent--that is, who sees Christ made sin for us-- will not perish but have eternal life.

4. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Except when you called my post stating the brazen serpent being lifted up referred to salvation pathetic you also claimed the passage was speaking of Satan and referenced Revelation.

5. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Indeed I did. I think I am allowed to refer to the same thing in two different ways. Perhaps you don't think that Satan is sinful, or that there is a fiery serpent referenced in Revelation 13:3 (cf. v.9)?

6. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    My comment was about the brazen serpent being lifted up representing Christ being lifted up that all who believe will live. The reference provided was John 3. I do not think you are being honest here.

If you believe the "brazen serpent" being lifted up represented the firey serpent referenced in Revelation 13:3 then you are saying that God, in Numbers told Israel to look upon Satan and live. Is that what you believe???

To clarify, here is my post and your response:

#146 JonC, Aug 13, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
  7. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    This thread is closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.