1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Christ made Sin?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Martin Marprelate, Feb 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Archangel

The Archangel Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The word should be translated "sin," because that's what Paul wrote. Logos, it should be translated "Word," because that's how logos translates into English. Again (and again), the task of determining "what does the text say" is different from "what does the text mean."

But it does seem that's Paul's point, though--that Christ became sin (that which He never has a part of).

Is "sin offering" inside the range of semantic meaning? Perhaps. But, even if it is (which it might be in certain grammatical and contextual situations) the key is trying to figure out what Paul is meaning here. Does Paul mean to say that Jesus simply became the "bearer of sin?" His use of the word hamartia seem to go beyond that--even the construction of the sentence (word order, etc.) suggests that.

@Martin Marprelate has argued his points quite well. It is not an issue whether I agree with him or not. The issue is whether you can adequately articulate why you disagree with him. For myself, I have found many of your arguments lacking.

The bolded text above is very telling. Obviously you cannot come to the table to have a legitimate discussion with Martin Marprelate or myself if you think this. You have already determined--a priori--that any argument from us is to be discarded, not based on the merits or lack thereof, but on who is making the argument. Anyone in the "camp" need not apply.

The Archangel

#121 The Archangel, Feb 11, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  2. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Worse yet, those who seem to be able to understand better what Jesus and Paul really meant to say then they did themselves!

3. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The problem is that some bring to the text what they assume that it must mean, or in this case, what it cannot mean, as to them Jesus never could have been made sin....

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. The Archangel

Faith:
    Baptist
    Correction? Surely you must be joking. I know quite well what a word-for-word equivalent is. I too prefer them. However, the "dynamic equivalency" of, say, the NIV, while helpful for understanding, goes beyond the text itself and ventures into paraphrase. Some dynamic equivalents venture further than others. It does not mean they are not helpful, it does mean, however, that they may not accurately represent the original text. (Disclosure: Though I use the ESV daily, I am a big fan of the NLT for new believers, etc.).

Actually "sin offering" would not be legitimate in every place because the grammatical construction wouldn't be support the idea.

Also, there is a difference in using two or three words in a translation to translate one word from the original and making a paraphrase. For instance: in French potato is pomme de terre. When we translate pomme de terre we use one word--Potato. We do not use "Apple of Earth." Engaging in translation, though, doesn't mean we've paraphrased. Paraphrase, for lack of a better description, means making exegetical decisions for the reader. The best translations do not do so, though some bias does appear in every translation.

You're coming to your conclusion about "wait...Jesus was without sin but made sin...."sin" can't mean the same thing each time unless we are saying Jesus was made a sinner, which contradicts Scripture" based on your own theological pre-committments. Rather than saying "Paul can't mean Jesus became sin," you should be asking "in what way does mean that Jesus became sin?"

Of course, Paul is not saying Jesus was made to sin or became Himself a sinner (that would also require a different part of speech than an accusative noun). But, what is Paul saying by telling us that "God made Jesus [to be] sin?" That's the task, not to find which translations in the semantic range doesn't offend your delicate sensibilities.

The Archangel

5. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He became the accursed one of God, the sin bearer, the One who propiated the very wrath of God, and yet all the time remained the Sinless Son of God!

6. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Double Imputation was happening at that Cross....

7. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Paul seems to be indicating that Jesus was made sin was a fact, and while we cannot fully grasp what exactly was meant, that would be true!

8. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe both of them are not saying there can be a range of meanings, but that the way the Greek construction was written there by Paul, can ONLY mean what they see it as meaning!

9. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, brother. Paul wrote ἁμαρτία. "Sin" is an English word that represents one meaning of ἁμαρτία. That said, I prefer it be rendered "sin" because it forces the astute reader to look into this passage and the context of the passage. If they do this they cannot walk away believing the word is "sin" as in the first ἁμαρτία (unless they add to it a theory explaining away God becoming evil).

Since we both agree on the range of meaning for
    ἁμαρτία, we could discuss interpretation (we agree on translation). But @Martin Marprelate cannot because the possible range of meanings escape him - his proof (as with "forsaken") is that it dictates his interpretation.

I did not think there was any question in regard to the bold text. When I complained of @Martin Marprelate 's repeated representation of my interpretation (he accused me of denying Scripture because ἁμαρτία can't mean "sin-offering") did you step in to mediate or did you take offence that I pointed out his reply was not honest? I do not expect you to change.

I am not rejecting your interpretation. I am rejecting @Martin Marprelate 's right to have one. As long as one cannot grasp the range of a word that one cannot offer anything of value in terms of interpretation. He believes his "interpretation" is essentially dictated - no other real interpretation can exist. That is foolish and I believe you know it.

10. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The truth is that he view of it fits what Paul was saying to use though better than sin offering or some other English wording than just "sin"

11. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree insofar as "word for word". Your ad hominem adide, I already agreed the translation should be "sin". I am not offended by those who believe this literally means "sin...or evil" (altjough it is offensive, I suppose). I am not even ashamed for the ignorant who believe those who prefer their language follow the rules of grammer delicate. Quite simply, it does not take a rocket scientist (or a linguist) to recognize the English word "sin" does not quite work. It does, perhaps, take one at least mildly versed in his or her own language.

12. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you believe God literally made Jesus to become evil? If not, then reexamine your words more carefully.

13. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe that God made Him who knew no sin to become sin on our behalf!

14. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do too. I believe this means Hod made Christ who knew no sin (evil, immoral act) to become sin (a sin-offering) for us.

But given the range of meanings are you going to stick with Jecus actually becoming evil?

15. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, that he became sin for us!

16. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    As already noted, the word tranlated "sin" has a range of meanings. Is it the English meaning that Jesus became "an immoral act"? Or is it ine of the other possibilities ("sin-offering", "expiatory sacrifice", ect.)....or do you simply have no clue?

17. The Archangel

Faith:
    Baptist
    By the same token, if you insist that the meaning (note: not the translation) of he second "sin" is "sin-bearer" (or similar), then by your own rule stated above you have to translate the first "sin" as "sin-bearer." Since "sin bearer" cannot work for the first; it cannot work for the second.

Furthermore, saying Christ "was made sin" by God does not have to mean that "God becomes evil." You assume it does, but those are your philosophical pre-committments, not a fair reading of the text.

Why would you expect me to "jump in" in a conversation between you and Martin if I choose not do do so? Are you prepared to make blatant what you are implying here: Only those who defend you are worthy of you? That is preposterously arrogant is that is what you are meaning to say. In any case, I'm unworthy because I don't defend you??? Seriously?!

By this criteria you would have to reject your own right to any interpretation since you cannot and do not grasp the range of all the words of scripture. If the threshold is "grasping the range" of a word, then none of us--even you--can meet the (somewhat arbitrary) requirement to have and voice an interpretation. But, it would seem, you feel quite comfortable to define for the rest of us among the great unwashed which words we need to understand (and to what extent) to even have the right to an opinion. Rarely have I seen something so arrogant expressed here.

The Archangel

18. The Archangel

Faith:
    Baptist
    Seriously, you need to learn what an ad hominem is. Saying "you must be joking" is not an ad hominem.

19. The Archangel

Faith:
    Baptist
    If "sin" does not work in the second instance, then it does not work in the first--seeing that they are the same word and the same form.

The Archangel

20. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    No. "Sin" works for the first, just not the second. They are not even the same type.

God made Him who knew no "sin" (immoral act, evil, wickedness) become "sin" (Sin-offering, Propitiation) for us.

NOT God made Him who knew no immoral act become an immoral act. This does not work. "Sinner" (another meaning in range) does not work either because He did not become a sinner.

I think your best meaning here would be "imputed sin" (again, linking back to the Hebrew, this is within range....even though I don't accept the i interpretation).

Put yer thinkin cap on, bruther Archangel. :Wink

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.