1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Christ our Prophet, Priest, King: Hebrews 1:3

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by asterisktom, Feb 6, 2010.

1. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

SS is for the saved to be discipled. Although the lost or seeking are certainly welcome to attend, they usually won't.

I've never heard of SS existing for the purpose of evangelizing.

As far as deep teaching goes, there should be classes for the more mature Christians, but there should also be classes for new Christians and all ranges of people who are at a different places in their spiritual growth.

#21 Amy.G, Feb 7, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2010
  2. Allan

Allan Active Member

:) Actually that was PART of it's intent when it was first incorporated,

It WAS for discipleship but was ALSO geared more so toward an evangelistic aspect. This in relation to the group reaching out, using their class as the outreach tool, out to bring in and help 'other' people understand the scriptures in a relaxed and open atmostphere compared to the typical dictorial type of teaching environment most were used to.

Actually, it is through this ministry I have used to explode my youth groups, and am currently helping to incorporate it into this church, as well as a means in reaching out to others. It this 'already established ministry' that I have typically used to help grow a church and one of the aspects in maturing it's current membership.

#22 Allan, Feb 7, 2010
  3. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Sunday School does not have as its primary purpose discipleship. That is for "Discipleship" training. Sunday School is the door way into the life of the church. Very few ever get saved as a direct result of the worship service or a discipleship class. Most likely, someone, somewhere, has been working with that person, outside of the worship service. Generally it's the pastor. I am leading my church to become a Sunday School church where more and more are saved as a direct result of Sunday School classes that focus outward rather than inward. I'm only one man and can impact so few people. But, imagine each of my six adult classes becoming evangelistic in thier overall ministry. Pretty soon there will be more than six classes. More will come into a saving knowledge of the Lord because evangelism is no longer the sole responsibility of the pastor but a responsibility that the entire congregation, through the Sunday School, has embraced. Now, that's what Sunday School is intended to be. Has no here ever heard of "Flake's Formula." Has no one read any of Ken Hemphill's books on Sunday School? Has Thom Rainer's studies of growing chruches fallen on deaf ears? Is no one listening? Most(not all) SBC churches and non-SBC churches that are reaching and keeping people have at the core of thier effectiveness an evangelistic Sunday School ministry.

#23 sag38, Feb 7, 2010
  4. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Amy, I'd be interested to know what your pastor thinks. I would imagine there is a disconnect there. In fact, I would be willing to say that he thinks the same way I do. I could be wrong and if so I'll eat my hat (not really). But, I'll stand corrected.

5. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

You have a real problem reading what isn't written. No where did I say we didn't have a concern for the lost, nor did I tell anyone they are not welcome. I just don't think that everything in bible study has to revolve around the basics, even Paul, in Hebrews, talks about moving on to the meat of the Word. I guess you don't think Paul has a concern for the lost either.

6. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Active Member
    Site Supporter

#26 Grasshopper, Feb 7, 2010
  7. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Ok Grasshopper, you can stick to your sarcasim and I'll do what I believe is right. Have fun!!

8. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Sag, I'll talk to my pastor about this tonight if I get a chance. But I don't know anything about SS being the evangelical arm of the church. If it was originally designed to do that, it was before I became active in church life.

The Bible says that God gave some to be teachers. If we are depend on ourselves to go deep into God's word, why do we need teachers? And I don't know anything about "discipleship teaching". When do you do that?

But I do know that we cannot possibly be good evangelizers if we are not grounded in God's word. There are too many people who are biblically illiterate in this day and age and witnessing for these people is nearly impossible because the unchurched many times knows more scripture than those who attend church each week.

9. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Not neglected by me or my pastor!

It's my favorite NT book, and I wrote a paper on Hebrews for my NT2 course last summer.

And my pastor is starting a whole series on Hebrews and my SS class is as well.

10. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I disagree that SS should be mainly for the lost. Discipleship and good Bible study is sorely missing at many churches. I think the church is for believers, to equip people they send out to evangelize.

However, I do think the church needs to aware of lost people or new believers who come to the services or SS class. We can teach and disciple believers while at the same time paying attention to others. For example, churches could have a new believers class or a "basics of the Christian faith" type class. Our church has a doctrines of the faith class for seekers, new believers, and any others; we make sure that these people have some contact and options.

11. sag38

sag38 Active Member

If you disagree then you disagree. But, I will say, in my opinion, that it is sad that the greatest tool a church could have for reaching the lost and growing a church is so neglected and misunderstood.

You have a real problem reading what isn't written
    I'm not saying your class is cold hearted. Rather, because the focus is strictly on Bible study and fellowship there is little concern for reaching the lost.

#31 sag38, Feb 7, 2010
  12. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Exactly how do you use the SS class for evangelism?