1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Christ wanted to be a friend not a master

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Revmitchell, Oct 15, 2013.

1. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

2. quantumfaith

3. quantumfaith

4. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

You all accuse me of claiming that "personal attack" when someone disagrees with my views...Here is a prime example of personal attack. I agree with someone and you attack me as playing politics and attempting to gain supporters. Has it occurred to you that I actually AGREE with what he said? Isn't it okay to say you agree when you agree?

Maybe I should start accusing you of trying to offend everyone and become the most despised person on this board...as that COULD be what some interpret by your manner, right? Why not just be KIND to each other as Christ tells us to do? Why does being KIND automatically get the accusation of "being fake" and "politicking" by you? Have you just never been genuinely nice to others simply because you are a nice person?

5. Skandelon

Wow....just wow.

6. Skandelon

Actually you are right about this. You have only addressed my views, not me personally. I wrongly mixed your comments in with those who are in agreement with you.

You are incorrect about this. You have not addressed my actual view. You have set up a strawman and attacked it while virtually ignoring my clarifying comments throughout this thread. You plucked statement from its context and misrepresented my actual views on this subject. That leads me to believe you aren't willingly to have an objective and profitable discussion about this topic. I could be wrong, and I hope I am.

7. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Because it is obvious you are clamoring for affirmation.

But if you want to try the nice thing again, I'll go along, again. But you swill likely slip back into to snottiness again and I will get tired of it again and put you in your place again.

But if you want to continue the cycle... I'm game.

8. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

HAHAHAHAHA!

Extraordinary argument!!

HAHAHAHAHA!

9. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you

I have not set up a strawman. The problem is that your original statement cannot find a context to justify it. Jesus, does in fact, want to be master. Now if your original statement could have been better said then I understand. But I have not seen any clarifying statements just statements give to justify. Those are two different things.

But the original statement is very problematic.

10. Skandelon

Understood...maybe a better statement would be that Jesus wants to be MORE than a master...because a servant does not know his master's business. Instead, he wants to be our friends, because he has made known to us his business and has included us in on it. Friendship, like fatherhood, is a higher, or better, or more mature relationship than a master/servant relationship. One is based in law and the other in unconditional love (grace). That is the distinction I was attempting to draw all along.

I think if you read back through this thread you will find that I have clarified this point of view consistently.

Can we now agree on this point?

11. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No I don't agree but neither do I find that statement all that problematic. I believe you are taking that analogy to far.

12. Skandelon

So, then may we all conclude you are clamoring for refutation? If what I wrote seemed 'agreeable' then what you wrote must seem to be equally un-agreeable. Are you canidating to be the most despised on this board? You must be? Maybe it makes you feel like the martyr? Is that it?

13. Skandelon

What specifically do you not agree with about my statement?

What specifically did I take 'too far?'

14. Skandelon

I just read this again...I'm confused.

How do you conclude that my statement isn't problematic, and yet not agree with it? Either it is agreeable or it isn't, right? If it isn't agreeable then can you specifically point out why?

15. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have made bold the error.

A real life example of the early 1800's - Thomas Jefferson and Sally Hemings.

She was a lot closer than a friend and he was her "master."

16. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is no reason for the believer not to be the friend, the servant, and the slave.

Each title is not exclusive in relation to the others.

Some would hold the view that slave means some mindless drone of deficit relationship, and friend has the opposite meaning of one with an intimate fulfilling relationship.

But such thinking is neither biblical nor practically historical of humankind.

If one is to consider each title as more than a mere relationship but of also follow-ship, then there is no specific conflict of the believer stating they are the servant, friend and slave of the Lord Jesus Christ all at the same time.

17. Skandelon

Nothing? Okay...

18. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    People, like yourself, are always wanting to emphasize one aspect of God over another. As if any of his character and traits are more important than the rest. This is no where told to us in scripture. And I find it very bold of anyone to try to suggest that they know such a thing to be true.

God is love and God is just, as far as I know those characteristics of God are equal none being more important than the other.

In the same way it is not necessary to suggest that God desires to be a friend more than He does a master. Neither is more important than the other. Scripture does not tell us it is and there is no reason to impose that on God. Such eisegetical bias is only based on what some want to be true rather than from clear exegesis from scripture. And trying to take the analogy of the master to the point where you use every minute aspect of what a master is in order to create doctrine and support your rather bold and incorrect theology is absurd.

Honestly, I do not mean to be rude but the whole thing is just dumb.

#58 Revmitchell, Oct 30, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2013
  19. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

I wouldn't call it bold, it's more like incognizant...but I agree with the premise.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

20. Skandelon

Quote where I did so and let's discuss rationally like adults, okay?

If you recall, you plucked my 'friend of God' comment out of its context, which was about female submission and Christ's headship being more in line with one who treats those he leads as 'friends' rather than 'slaves.' I'm not sure how that conversation would fit this accusation, but maybe you can explain? Or, maybe you can quote other examples?

OR...maybe this was a blanket unfounded accusation? We will see based on your response...

I couldn't agree more.

Jesus, NOT ME, said, "I no longer call you slaves, but friends..." What point would you suggest he is attempting to make if not the one I've expounded upon throughout this thread? Could it not be the shift from a law (master/servant) based relationship to a grace (father/son/friend) type relationship? After all, one of the major points of the New Testament is "you are no longer under law but under grace," right? I'm not sure why we are arguing this point? Maybe you can explain.

Again, you never explained what specifically you disagreed with about my statement. And you never explained why you didn't find what I said problematic, but yet you still didn't agree?

Maybe you were just feeling disagreeable that day?

#60 Skandelon, Oct 30, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2013