1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Christian Books on Church and State .

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Mikey, Feb 25, 2021.

1. Mikey

Mikey Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    What books would yoou recommend on the subject of Church and State, Christian duties towards the state.

Recommendations from different perspectives are welcome.

Thanks

2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
  3. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I thought First Freedom: The Beginning and End of Religious Liberty by Jason G. Duesing, Thomas White, and Malcolm B. Yarnell III (Editors) looked good and I have purchased it. However, I have not yet read it, so can't make an actual recommendation. Here is a blurb at Amazon:

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    anything by Francis Schaeffer top notch, as while a premil, did advocate being godly influences into culture and society!

5. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Pick up "THEM" by Ben Sasse.

6. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Revolution Within the Revolution: The First Amendment in Historical Context, 1612-1789
    This is an outstanding book, easy to read and gives clear history and has lots of footnotes so you can check things out for yourself. This comes from a Baptist perspective, unlike some of the others mentioned here.

Liberty of Conscience: Roger Williams in America
    I read the original version of this biography and analysis in the early 1990s. I have not read the 1999 edition, but the original was a page-turner. The legacy of Roger Williams led to the creation of the First Amendment in the United States. This is critical background knowledge.

Separation of Church and State: Founding Principle of Religious Liberty
    I haven't read this one, but it is on my wish list. It has excellent reviews and may be helpful as you engage in reading from other perspectives.

7. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mikey, If I am not mistaken - I believe you are a citizen of the United Kingdom. If so - that could be a great difference. Here in the USA - There is supposed to be a "separation of Church and State" Now, many people think that means the church is to stay out of the business of the State - However, the purpose was to keep the Govt out of the business of the church.

I will mention this - Churches are not subject to taxation (there is at least one execption - based on how you look at it) An employer must pay into a Govt program for retirement - the social security program - and this includes churches (other than pastors). In addition churches are subject to health inspections of kitchens, fire safety, ect - those of those inspections are fee based. - This past year - during the Chinesee virus - the govt ordered churches to close down - some said that was exceeding the arm of the govt. -- Otherwise - the govt does pertty much stay out of the business of the church. The phrase "Seperation of Church and State was first used by Thomas Jefferson in an 1802 letter to the Danbury Baptist Association in Connecticut. The Real Meaning of the Separation of Church and State

This is all based on the First Amendment of the US Constitution. Now, I am not famillar with the law of the UK - other than somewhat of Common law. So what is apparent in the USA may not carry any weight in the UK.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oops, yes, the books I suggested don't necessarily apply to Mikey's situation, although the biography of Roger Williams would be extremely relevant to Baptist views and the struggle during the colonial era for Williams to obtain a charter from the King of England to "establish" the colony of Rhode Island, even though he has purchased the land from the Native Americans (the only colony established by agreement with Native Americans).

It should be noted that Thomas Jefferson was actually referencing Roger Williams, when Williams wrote in 1644 about a "hedge" of separation between church and state. He knew the Danbury Baptists would understand the reference. Moore's brief article is excellent, BTW.

9. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    • Winner Winner x 1