1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Christian Flag above the American Flag?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Bible Thumpin n Gun Totin, Oct 11, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bible Thumpin n Gun Totin

Bible Thumpin n Gun Totin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We have several Christian organizations and folks in our county that have begun to fly the Christian Flag above the American Flag as the U.S slowly collapses under God's judgement and becomes morally indefensible. My county is in the rural Appalachian mountains, I.E the Spine of the Bible Belt.

For those that don't know, the American Flag Code says that the American Flag must always be flown highest, so these Christians are knowingly violating that.

Would you fly the Christian Flag above the American Flag? What are other Baptists' thoughts?

For my part, I have plans to get a flag pole in a few years. I will be flying the Christian Flag, North Carolina State Flag and then the American Flag in that order.

2. Bible Thumpin n Gun Totin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This sparked a conversation in our local online group. Here is one of the responses for some cultural background:

“A couple takes here, because a lot of folks are new to the area and some forget where they are.
    This is--technically improper display of the American flag is to have it as the highest flag being flown.
    However! And this is where we get regional/cultural.
    You're in Appalachia- this is the Afghanistan of America. It is both unconquerable and of its own culture. People are well-armed, they are quite pious and they are historically hostile/leery of outside influence. Rebellion/Disobedience is not an act of desperation, it's a normal rite of passage.

You're gonna see stuff that doesn't seem normal. If you can't hack it, you should probably go elsewhere, because this region will outlive the country itself.
    You're gonna notice that overall Faith> family> region > state> country> world, in that order.
    Also, churches around NC are doing this, not just one or two here. It's a form of protest, sending the message that God's kingdom/law is to be held higher than the laws and governments of man. Does this contradict some scripture? Sure, but it also jibes with some. Religion is confusing.

Now, some of this might seem wrong to you, it may seem right. Let me make this clear: I DO NOT CARE, don't @ me. I'm simply relaying the historical and cultural norms of this region, backed up extensively in scholarly works from Woodard to Webb, all the way back to de Tocqueville.
    What are the positives of this, historically speaking?

We breed notoriously good warriors, and are neck deep in Medal of Honor citations. We breed hearty people who can deal with the hardest of hardships. Traditionally speaking, this area is nearly impossible to occupy- the only real method that has proven to work is gradual replacement of people from outside and taking over the institutions (education/govt/media, etc).

Either way, I hope this is helpful, and gives you an idea of why you may see something like this. Love it or hate it, I sincerely would not advise taking it into your own hands and messing with it.
    However, free speech is free speech, so by all means, do tell us how you feel. By oath, I have to defend that.”

• Like Like x 1
  3. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Our church flys the Christian flag over the American Flag.
    I could not care less about American Flag code. It's a suggestion, not a law.
    Christianity is of more importance than Americanism.

• Like Like x 2
  4. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I wouldn't (just protocol....military guy). I'm not really sure I would fly a Christian flag (not sure about Christendom and the Federal Council of Churches idea). But I don't fly any flags. No flag pole.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I follow the Naval tradition of flying the Church pennant above the national colors.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Marooncat79

Marooncat79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not believe that any flags should be flown inside nor outside of any church

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    But isnt that tradition only when chapel services are being held on board?

IMHO - The Christian Flag and the USA flag should be flown at the same height.
    Not only that, but I would also fly my State/Commonwealth flag at the same height as the USA flag.
    I liken that to what the Free Will Baptist Treatise states in Chapter III - Section IIA1: "Each of the levels is said to be the broader or larger (not "higher") than the former.
    The levels are 1) District Assoc, 2) State Assoc 3) National Association

and likewise the Federal Govt is not higher than the State/Commonwealth - just broader.

8. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    https://thechaplainkit.com/history/navy-chaplaincy/navy-chaplaincy/when-the-flag-must-yield/
    U.S.C. Title 4 - FLAG AND SEAL, SEAT OF GOVERNMENT, AND THE STATES

"(c) No other flag or pennant should be placed above or, if on the same level, to the right of the flag of the United States of America, except during church services conducted by naval chaplains at sea, when the church pennant may be flown above the flag during church services for the personnel of the Navy. No person shall display the flag of the United Nations or any other national or international flag equal, above, or in a position of superior prominence or honor to, or in place of, the flag of the United States at any place within the United States or any Territory or possession thereof: Provided, That nothing in this section shall make unlawful the continuance of the practice heretofore followed of displaying the flag of the United Nations in a position of superior prominence or honor, and other national flags in positions of equal prominence or honor, with that of the flag of the United States at the headquarters of the United Nations."

#8 Dave G, Oct 11, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2021
  9. Mikey

Mikey Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    What does the "christian flag" look like?

10. Bible Thumpin n Gun Totin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    IMHO the American Flag, the Christian Flag as well as all (USA) State/Commonwealth flags should fly at the same height! Though I do understand and fully accept the policies of the US Navy during Chapel service.

12. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Flying the American flag on top is a reference to flags representing states or countries. It has no bearing on where the Christian flag should be flown.

13. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Churches shouldn't be flying any flags. I seriously doubt that that first century churches displayed the Roman Standard. There is certainly no Biblical thing as a "Christian" flag.

14. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amen!

15. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So what is the problem with a flag?

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    John 18:36 Jesus answered, “My kingdom is not of this world. If My kingdom were of this world, My servants would fight, so that I should not be delivered to the Jews; but now My kingdom is not from here.”

17. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ok you are going to have to break down your application of that passage for me to understand your point. I don’t see it as applicable

18. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The church belongs to Christ, not any human government.

19. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    who is saying the church belongs to a human government?

20. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    They why fly the flag of a human government on church property?

• Winner Winner x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.