1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

*Christian* Hard Rock Experiment

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Gina B, Dec 12, 2002.

1. JonathanDT

JonathanDT New Member

Well, they don't really decide that people will mosh, people just do it on their own. The Bible tells us to dance, but it's pretty much impossible to when you have such a crowded group of people, so moshing is the only alternative. Guess you've never been in a pit before? You do know what I'm talking about, right?

2. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

Mosh pits don't usually form at the direction of the band.

3. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Ok, let me get this straight.
    They're not a Christian band, they're a band made up of Christians. Yet the band is their ministry. At their concerts they dance to this not Christian music performed by Christians, dancing for God because he "commanded" them in the bible to do so, so desperate to obey God's commands they'll dance however they can. The group says they're music is not for Christians, it's directed to non-Christians, so it amazes me how strongly they want to follow biblical commands. LOL!
    Going to the bar to witness a little further I have no problem with. Good for them if that's what they were doing.
    I'd still like to hear a salvation testimony from one of them, and learn what denominational affiliations with Christianity they may have. Anyone got links on that?
    Gina

4. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

Right.

Right.

Reminds me of Ricky Skaggs. his band isn't a Christian band, although several of it's members are Christians. Even so, he's referred to it as his ministry and nobody seems to have a problem with him doing it.

I've never been to one of their shows, but I don't think they dance.

Why should that amaze you? I know you only consider them "pseudo-Christians" and not "real" Christians but even "pseudo-Christians" should want to follow Biblical commands.

[ December 27, 2002, 05:54 PM: Message edited by: Mike McK ]

5. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Word doesn't have "missionary" anywhere in it...

The word "missionary" is a Latin translation of the word "apostle."

St. Paul asked, Are all apostles? the implied answer being no, though all were Christians.

So my question still stands. You accused Gina of judging these kids, but are you not also judging them? You are saying they have the qualifications of an apostle. Now, back that up with a little more than the Baptist mantra.

6. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

Aaron said:

Punk styles are not what is being referred to here, and certainly one cannot be poor and maintain a Punk lifestyle.

In context, James is saying not to show favouritism based on appearances.

7. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, in context James is saying not to be a respecter of persons by preferring the rich above the poor.

He is saying nothing about appearances except that a rich man and a poor man are eminently recognized by their garb.

[ December 20, 2002, 06:08 PM: Message edited by: Aaron ]

8. JonathanDT

JonathanDT New Member

Correct. They're not a Christian band because they don't want that label, people hear "Christian music" and walls automatically fly up. Also because they don't pander(not the right word, but I think you get the idea) to the Christian "mini-world" that most other bands play specifically for. By not being labeled Christian, they have more opportunties outside the Christian world, and isn't that were we should really be doing our witnessing?
    I think you got the wrong impression(I have a feeling not by accident). They don't do a lot of dancing, Sonny just does a little bit when he's not singing. And it's not chereographed or anything. Whoever said they did it because God commanded it? I'm assuming Sonny does it just because the type of music they play is infectious, it makes you want to dance. It just so happens that God also told us to dance.
    Actually, they said that their music is for anyone that will listen, but lets not let the facts interfere with a good story. ;)
    IF the bar story is true, I doubt it was to witness. Probably just to hang out, unwind. They were probably on the road, and it would be late at night if it's after a concert. I don't know, if I was away from home and wanted a place to just hang out with some friends, I might just choose a bar too, it's not like there are a lot of places open around midnight. But hey, if your looking for reasons to hate POD, then rumours like this are pretty much all you have.
    I've heard Sonny's testimony, but I don't have a link for it. If you want it, try doing a search for it on google.com, but I'm sure your not really that interested. As for denomination, as far as I know they're nondenom, but I really don't have the slightest clue. I know they have a "road pastor" that travels with them, and they'll often have meetings with pastors on the road. I believe someone mentions this in the interviews I posted.

Ahhh. Thanks for clearing that up. Since that's the case, I guess most what we call "missionaries" aren't really missionaries then, since apostles is a fairly elect group. So if that is the case, then I misspoke and apologize. So what would you call the people we send to foreign countries to share God's love with the unsaved? I want to know your viewpoint so I know exactly how to answer your question.

God bless,
    ~JD

9. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My point is that a missionary holds an office. How do these performers meet the standards of a minister of God?

10. Travelsong

Travelsong Guest

While I think most of what you say contains enough false teaching and obfuscation to start a cult ;) this is an excellent question. One can only be for the world or against it, and to be against it means using your God given talents to reach the unsaved and minister to those in need. I don't see any evidence of that in today's "Christian" pop culture.

11. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Funny, that was my very opinion of your statements. :D

12. JonathanDT

JonathanDT New Member

Well you didn't answer my question, but that's ok, I understand why.
    When I said missionaries, I wasn't taking the literal translation that you do. As far as I know, NO missionaries today are Apostles, since I believe to be an Apostle one must have seen the risen Lord. So really the problem is our usage of the word missionary. In the way I meant it, I was correct in saying Missionary, since it isn't a specific office. Now it CAN be, for instance many missionaries might hold the office of pastor. However, I believe that all Christians who are trying to reach the world for Christ would be considered missionaries, and from what I've posted POD claims to be trying to do that. I believe them, if you don't, oh well. But don't criticize them when you haven't heard their music, seen any of their concerts, read their lyrics, seen their lives, or researched anything beyond what they look like.
    God bles,

~JD

13. JonathanDT

JonathanDT New Member

While I think most of what you say contains enough false teaching and obfuscation to start a cult ;) this is an excellent question. One can only be for the world or against it, and to be against it means using your God given talents to reach the unsaved and minister to those in need. I don't see any evidence of that in today's "Christian" pop culture.</font>[/QUOTE]I have. I personally know someone who was saved because of this "Christian pop culture." I also work at a Christian music festival called Creation, and I've seen the fruits that have come from it. I've also attended events like Fallout seen the kids step up to accept Christ.
    Anyway, POD isn't a part of this Christian mini-culture, and they don't want to be. That's why they don't like being called a "Christian band."

14. TheTravelingMinstrel

I only read the original post slamming AA's "Get Down"

1. "Get Down" is not hard rock
    2. The song is about humility, "To live you life, you got to lose it, and all the losers get a crown, I get down, He lifts me back up again."
    God will exalt the humble.

Comeon, they are kids, they don't actually listen to the words, all they hear is "Get Down" and they do a dance based on that.

It sounds like a reciever problem here, not a sender.

I don't think that's a good reason to slam the song, calling it garbage.

[ January 12, 2003, 10:33 AM: Message edited by: TheTravelingMinstrel ]

15. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

16. redwhitenblue

redwhitenblue New Member

I'll have to actually listen to the song myself to make any opinion on it. Honestly though, I personally listen to AA and love them to pieces...and as for "music to make you go crazy" I also love Miss Angie and that my friend is crazy stuff....but she has 100% excellent messages to her music. Anyway, I will listen to AA's song and then give thought to it...however, no matter what the song is like I will always dispute that unless the lyrics are literally unhealthy and harmful (not just fun with no godly meaning) it isn't garbage.

Karen

17. Elvish_musician

Elvish_musician New Member

have you heard the rest of their music?? i fell in love w/ the Christian Rock group when my friend brought it to my house....Get Down was the 1st song i heard...then the others...i loved it SO much i went out and bought the cd..in fact some youth at our church used THAt song for their theme song on a Mission Trip....and played it IN a church service...the song is talking about how....when you get down....GOD lifts you RIGHT back up and he is ALWAYS there..
    there song "mighty good leader" yup..talkin about Jesus..may i quote the chorus
    "a mighty good leader is on the way..." its talkin about Jesus Christ.....their song Hands and Feet...talking about how they want God to use them....#7 on the same album...the song name is "Jesus Movement" "everywhere i go i see im not the only one movin..moving to Jesus" this song is saying that they go all around and their is always Christians w/ open arms. i love the cd!

let me quote 2 more.....#8 -Do you know and #11-It Is Well w/ my soul (yep the hymn!!)) well...number 8-"do you know where you're gonna go..straight to heaven or down the hole" the reason they say hole instead of hell..is so not even a shread of possible cussin would be in the cd....so no blame would be on them...well i look here..and even though they try their hardest ..guess what??? people are still tearing them down and all they wanted to do is Praise God in their own way!! I feel really sorry for the guys in AA.

18. Elvish_musician

Elvish_musician New Member

have you heard the rest of their music?? i fell in love w/ the Christian Rock group when my friend brought it to my house....Get Down was the 1st song i heard...then the others...i loved it SO much i went out and bought the cd..in fact some youth at our church used THAt song for their theme song on a Mission Trip....and played it IN a church service...the song is talking about how....when you get down....GOD lifts you RIGHT back up and he is ALWAYS there..
    there song "mighty good leader" yup..talkin about Jesus..may i quote the chorus
    "a mighty good leader is on the way..." its talkin about Jesus Christ.....their song Hands and Feet...talking about how they want God to use them....#7 on the same album...the song name is "Jesus Movement" "everywhere i go i see im not the only one movin..moving to Jesus" this song is saying that they go all around and their is always Christians w/ open arms. i love the cd!

let me quote 2 more.....#8 -Do you know and #11-It Is Well w/ my soul (yep the hymn!!)) well...number 8-"do you know where you're gonna go..straight to heaven or down the hole" the reason they say hole instead of hell..is so not even a shread of possible cussin would be in the cd....so no blame would be on them...well i look here..and even though they try their hardest ..guess what??? people are still tearing them down and all they wanted to do is Praise God in their own way!! I feel really sorry for the guys in AA.

19. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

I think I'm going to see them on Sept 13. I'll let you know what happens.

20. Sherrie

Sherrie New Member

Jonathan Said
    Amen!

Mike wish I could go.

Sherrie [​IMG]