1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Christian Music Classification

Discussion in 'Music Ministry' started by WHYME, Dec 17, 2005.

1. WHYME

WHYME New Member

Music not only can be "Soothing to the savage beast", but also disruptive and divisive in relation to worship or church services. This is my opinion (as 99% of the posts on this forum are).
    I divide music into four (4) groups; Worship, Praise, Inspirational and Entertaining. The rub comes when we interchange them,for example, "When I Survey the Wonderous Cross" is a great number prior the the Sunday morning message but I think "When they baptised Jessee Taylor in Gator Creek Last Sunday" would be a little out of place. (although it would probably produce a lot of foot stomping and applause).
    Incidently I enjoy most all types of music (I am not ready for "RAP", although it is being used in our childrens music program.)
    I would be interested in other view points on this.

2. bubba jimmy

bubba jimmy New Member

Everyone's point of view is valid, and it is wise to let God guide your music choices. Having said that, I'd like to share some of my experiences since I'm an official "old guy".

When I was a teen (1968 and onward) , the pastor and deacons in my church railed against modern-sounding music. The only "Godly" spiritual musice they would approve of that was written in that generation was gospel bluegrass. If it had any kind of other beat or a drum or sounded like anything Maranatha might put out, it was of the devil masquerading as Christian music.

What they were teaching as "Godly" was, in my opinion, only a reflection of their personal tastes. They were from North Carolina, Kentucky, and West Virginia. They were middle-aged or older. They did not relate to younger people, or eve try to. Anything that wasn't appealing to them was said to "stir the flesh" in some way.

I love the old hymns, but I love modern Christian music too. Just yesterday on the radio I heard Wendy Whitehead's rendition of "The Lord is Gracious and Compassionate" and it sent chills up my spine, especially the line that says "As far as the east is from the west... that's how far... he has removed our transgressions from us".

My heart leaps in praise and worship when I hear that song. The pastor of my youth would say it was of the devil. What are we to do with that kind of thing?

3. Brother Ian

Brother Ian Active Member

Everyone has a personal preference for musical style. Some may be more appropriate for certain things than others, but again, personal preference.

4. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    God has 3 categories

1. humnos (hymns) = worship and praise of God, to His glory alone
    Examples: "Immortal, Invisible", "Holy, Holy, Holy"

2. psalmos (psalms) = putting Scripture to music
    Examples: "The Lord's My Shepherd", "Seek Ye First"

3. pneumata odia (spiritual songs) = testimony, common songs but with holy words
    Examples: "Love Lifted Me", "Blessed Assurance"

5. Eric Pement

Eric Pement New Member

That should be "breast", not "beast". The full quote is, "Music hath charms to soothe the savage breast, to soften rocks, or bend a knotted oak." It is credited to the 18th century playwright William Congreve, from "The Mourning Bride," Act 1, Scene 1 [source].

A significant percentage of the Psalms---I don't recall how many---are psalms of lament. Categories for understanding Christian music need to include some term that covers these forms or styles, also. Just my two cents.

6. Guitar25

Guitar25 New Member

I'm going to agree with Dr. Bob on this, to an extent. He's quoting from one of my favorite verses Ephesians 5:19 but I look at it in a different way

1.Hymns: Songs you sing in church, depending on the church you go to. If it's like mine the you do. Songs such as "Holy, Holy, Holy" and "Peace Be Still"

2.Psalms: These are more like hymnals with biblical context or reference like "Seek Ye First" as Dr. Bob said.

now here is where the difference in opinion lies.

3.Spiritual Songs: To me, these are songs that express a different kind of worship. They can be any form of Christian Music such as Rock, or Contemporary, or Acoustic, or Ballad, or Choir, or whatever the case may be. It is such if it expresses love for Jesus, or a testimony, or worship. Songs such as "Worth It All" By Disciple, "You Are My Hope" By Skillet or "The Power Of God" By Living Sacrifice.

I think our biggest difference of opinion, and not just between myself and Dr. Bob, but by alot of us is our definition of what is spiritual and glorifying and what isn't. And most of the time our opinions are clouded or distorted by like or dislike of genres or styles. I think we need to throw all of that aside and focus on what the song is about and what it is trying to get across, what it's point, focus and goal is rather than out own bias against the sound.

Myself in particular, i despise the sound of country and most all southern bluegrass style but groups like the Gaithers and others such as them, I respect immensly what they do and why they do it.

7. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ding-ding-ding-ding-ding-ding-ding! We have a winner, folks! [​IMG] This is not only the biggest difference, but THE difference. This is what the whole debate is about.

And most of the time our opinions are clouded or distorted by like or dislike of genres or styles. I think we need to throw all of that aside...

This fella is on a roll! [​IMG]

...and focus on what the song is about and what it is trying to get across, what it's point, focus and goal is rather than out own bias against the sound.

And the message is more than simply the words, but how it's framed.

8. superdave

superdave New Member

Agreed, as I have yet to see anyone's position disagree with scripture on this particular issue. Its all about how we apply it in our individual cultural setting.

And if you think cultural setting has nothing to do with it. Go to churches like mine here in the tradition of the Old Northern Baptist Convention, and than visit a couple of the smaller General Baptist, Southern Baptist, or Freewill Missionary Baptist Churches mainly composed of transplanted folks from West Virginia and Kentucky whose families moved here to the promised land to work for one of the Big 3. They both preach the same thing about music, but the style and selection of music is totally different.

Plus, I have noticed (experiential anecdote warning) that some of the hardest preaching churches around here about the evils of Rock and Roll, use music that is directly descended from the Nashville Country Scene. At least the Rock artists use Metaphor!!!

9. I'm4Given

I'm4Given New Member

We just hired a new Music Minister. He likes to do medley's, it's working out very well, a little something for everyone while glorifing and praising our Lord at the same time. I'm in the choir and enjoy having a fresh approach at praise and worship while still singing the classic hymns as well. Man, I'm ready to go church, glad it's Wed.

PTL!