1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Christian Schools Sue State University

Discussion in 'Science' started by jcrawford, Aug 31, 2005.

1. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Expressing my FIRST AMENDMENT freedom not to have my faith altered by government institutions is exactly what these 17, 18, & maybe 19 year old young adults are facing. They are not old enough to 'have' to fight for their freedoms.

UC system is not setting reasonable standards.

Believing that you came from a monkey is not a scientific standard. It is a standard of faith.

Excluding students because they studied that you did not come from a monkey, is discrimination based upon the bias that you came from apes.

My bias is not UC's bias. Evidently, your bias is UC's bias.

2. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You either believe what God said, OR what man said.

No compromise.

God said "6 days"; man said "billions of years"

God said "I CREATED man from the dust of the ground--"; man said "You came from (apes, monkeys, amoeba etc etc)"

God said "Rom 1:22-23 Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,
    And changed the glory of the incorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and fourfooted beasts, and creeping things."

So it's your choice, believe either the omnipotent all-powerful Creator of the universe, or some humans "who have professed themselves to be wise"

You know, I've never realized that this passage just hits home to those who insist that man has "evolved" rather than being created. God refers to those animals that we are "evolved" from as being the objects of worship.

Rather ironic, is it not? :rolleyes:

3. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Proving my point that it's not an issue of Amendment I, but an issue of standards.

That's opinion, at best. Objectively, learning the scientific theories of evolution is part of the science class. Teaching theories that have passed the scientific method is not an issue of "belief" here.
    I don't base my faith on UC standards for admission.

4. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

Daisy,

Your remarks to El Guero are condescending. Given that. What is your science background? Why do you feel you are in a position to declare his views wrong and your views right?

5. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

Someone wrote If these courses are teaching something other than the established and accepted scientific theories, then they should not be certified.

To which I say:

1) The establishment of a theory does not make it correct.
    2) The acceptance of a scientific theory does not make it correct.
    3) The greatest advancements in science were made by those who challenged "accepted" and "established" theories.
    4) Teaching opposing theories is not wrong unless a theory has been 100% disproven or another has ceased to be a theory and has been proven a fact. Creationism has not been disproven. Evolution has not been proven.
    5) Even those of you who object to creationism should object to this kind of discrimination. Taking a student who was taught evolution into UC will expose them to evolutionary theories. Refusing to offer them an education will only create a lower class in America - made up of Christians who stood for God over Science.

Mainly: An enlightened mind is not afraid of opposing view points, and explores them without fear.

And last - Whether the theory of creationism is "right" or "wrong" may be debatable, but standing up for Christ is NEVER wrong.

I'm ashamed of people who profess faith in Christ who turn around and put down Christians who risk everything, including a college education, to stand up for Christ.

What if Christ was as quick to take the world's view of things when He walked the earth?

6. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

Johnv,

A significant number of highly respected scientists have pointed out numerous times that evolution has NOT passed the tests of science.

However, the moment they admit this, they are fired, banned, declared crack-pots, etc.. Oddly, their credentials never change, just the way the world talks about them.

7. UTEOTW

UTEOTW New Member

"Next we will be asked to bow down to the Great Monkey god, or else be called what?"

You will not be called anything. Maybe willingly ignorant by some, but we are all ignorant of most things. And I am not quite sure what god you think you will be asked to bow before.

The truth of the matter is that you are completely free to believe whatever you wish, right or wrong. No one is going to compel you to change your opinions. You are not going to be denied housing or employment because of your religious opinions.

But, in relation to the OP, your freedom of belief does not place you above the standards that everyone else lives under. It is not discrimination for a university to require admission standards. You do not think it discrimination if someone is denied entry because of low test scores, do you? Well, in this case, the university has decided that if you wish to gain enrollment vased on your grades, that those grades must have been earned at aschool that meets certain requirements. They have standards that they expect prospective students to have met. One of these is a science requirement. Yet some schools wish to teach something falsely called sceince and get it to count. When the university points out that you cannot teach that the lynchpin of modern biology is false and rightly expect them to allow it to count as biology, they then throw personal responsibility out the window and scream persecution. It, simply, is not.

"No science has shown that God did not create the Heavens and the Earth."

And no one here is claiming such.

"I still practice my CONSTITUTIONAL right to believe that God is GOD!"

Absolutely! We live in a wonderful, free society where anyone can belief anything. But we also must live within the rules of that society.

"Hypothesis will not change my belief in God. We have allowed too many wild ideas become a barrier to Truth."

Unfortunately, the biggest barriers to the truth in this topics seems to be those who subscribe to the YEC and the ID wild ideas which have no basis in fact and which are born from misrepresentation of what the creation shows us.

"I am tired of those that attack believers and ridicule their belief."

Yes, I am tired of those who go around and claim that those who do not interpret just as they do do not believe God and do not believe the Bible. I am tired of those who claim discrimination when they are held to standards. I am tired of those who harshly attack those who dare disagree with them and consider it an attack to point out their errors. I am tired of those who consider it ridicule when asked that there be science in their sceince classes.

"I am tired of the discrimination."

There is no discrimination to be tired of. There is personal responsibility to take.

"I am tired of being asked to worship a fake god: 'the Piltdown Man god'."

No one is asking you to worship any fake god, though you yourself choose to believe a false idea. And I am quite unsure who it is that you think worships a hoax from early last century.

"I will support these young men and women as they fight a CORRUPT system."

Good to know that when someone sets standards and sticks to them that they get labeled as corrupt. You would have thought that would be a good thing. Must not be the case if you are trying to get credit for something you did not do successfully.

"Further, I am ashamed that my country now requires Christians to deny their faith in Genesis in order to go to college."

Nope. But they actually required to have studied what they claim to have studied if they want to get in on their grades. If they wish to study a pseudoscience and call it biology, then they must use one of the other admission avenues provided to them. That way they can take the science falsely called so and still get into college. No opportunities are being denied, but they are blocking themselves from one path to get there.

"No wonder there are so many Christian professors that fear telling what they believe."

Is this more than anecdotal? Why should I bother asking? You do not have dialogue with those who disagree and you have previously shown an unwillingness to answer questions that go to the heart of your assertions.

8. UTEOTW

UTEOTW New Member

This is probably a waste of time, but...

DO you care to provide some support for this allegation by presenting just how evolution fails as science? Please, I am dying to hear all the better explanations for all the data that has been collected. We have threads og genetics and whales and humans and all sorts of things. Please feel free to present the better explanations for the data.

9. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Most often, those claims are made based on the issue of "observation", selectively claiming that past evolution cannot be "observed". However, they disregard the fact that observations in the fossil record qualfy as observation. Theories on plate tectonics are similar, yet few argue that plate techtonics is not science (likely since plate tectonics doesn't appear to disagree with religious views).

Theories regarding past evolutionary processes have been reviewed over and over again, updated, revised, etc, just like most scientific theories have and are.

However, the fact remains that evolution is generally accepted in the scientific community. Hence, it should be taught in related science courses. So should plate tectonics, btw.

Further there is no violation of any constitutional rights here, nor is there any attempt to get anyone to "change" their religious beliefs.

On a personal note, the only two groups of folks who have tried to get me to change my religious beliefs have been KJVOists and YEC hyperliteralists.

10. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

TS

God? I guess, God is not better when you place your faith in the theories of mere men.

But, what a day that will be! Can you imagine? I bet NO ONE asks Him to explain it.

11. Johnv

Johnv New Member

EG, I guarantee you, that if that day comes, someone somewhere is going to insist that we wear headcoverings, that our women not wear pants, and that we only carry a KJV.

12. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

TS

It amazes me how they can label me and not even understand what I believe. I have chosen to believe what God wrote. And I found science to be full of approximations that are constantly "updated". Why would I want to stand before the Creator and wait for an update on my faith? NOPE, I will just stand on what He wrote.

13. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Back to the OP ...

Discriminating against students that study the Creation is discrimination. Discrimination should be stopped.

14. Johnv

Johnv New Member

No disrespected, EG.

The very nature of scientific discovery is that theories are consistently revised and updated as time goes along, as new discoveries are made, and new findings amassed. This doesn't shake my faith at all.

15. Johnv

Johnv New Member

There is no discrimination of such students. The discrimination is upon certain classes that don't meet UC standards. Schools are free to teach creation in addition to the required UC coursework.

If not accepting creation coursework is discrimination, then should students who learn other creation stories be also allowed in lieu of UC requirement? Such as the Hawaiian creation story, which states that earth began in Hawaii? Or the Aztec cretion story, which traces the origin of the earrth to a ball of feathers? Or the Chiese creation story, which traces the origin of the earth to a black egg? Or India creation story, which say the earth started in the shape of a wheel, and the first human begat from frogs? Why does our own creation story get sole exception to qualifying as a replacement for UC requirements?

16. jcrawford

jcrawford New Member

We already have that right and can enforce it in the courts now, as the Christian schools and students are doing with their civil rights lawsuit against UC now. Don't worry, El_Guero, UC will back off once they are informed that religious discrimination based on neo-Darwinst racism is as bad as any other kind of racism in public institutions.

17. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

I do not know about the policy being racism, but I do know that it is discriminatory against Christians ...

18. Johnv

Johnv New Member

No one's answered my previous inquiry. Which of the aforementioned creation topics should be considered sufficient to meet the UC's requisites? The Hawaiian creation story, which states that earth began in Hawaii? Or the Aztec creation story, which traces the origin of the earrth to a ball of feathers? Or the Chinese creation story, which traces the origin of the earth to a black egg? Or India creation story, which say the earth started in the shape of a wheel, and the first human begat from frogs? Or does our own creation story get sole exception to qualifying as a replacement for UC requirements?

19. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Well, does this mean that you might believe OUR GENESIS?

I thank God that these young men and women are challenging this EVIL discrimination.

20. jcrawford

jcrawford New Member

Since these students have taken and passed state-accredited and approved regents exams in higher math, physics, chemistry and biology, which just happen to include a few texts by Christian creationists in addition to standard science textbooks, there is no logical reason for UC to disqualify and discredit creationist teachings other than to suppress creationist charges of scientific racism inherent in all neo-Darwinst theories and teachings of human evolution in and out of Africa.