1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Christian Universalism?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by reformedbeliever, Jul 19, 2006.

1. reformedbeliever

reformedbeliever New Member

Well, it seems this thread is getting off topic, although I love theodicy. Maybe someone should start a theodicy thread? Also, it seems we claim that the Bible is inerrant, and I know that needs to be qualified as "in the original autograph". Inerrancy may be an interesting topic... although i'm sure you could probably give me many previous threads of that topic. Its always good to have some new views however. :)
    This is from an e-mail of a fantastic theologian whom I respect very much. Please give his view of this topic some consideration. Thank you for your replies. I've enjoyed reading them.
    Of course it partly depends on what Bible version you use as to how many times Hell is mentioned. Hell is sometimes used to translate the Hebrew sheol which means the grave world. It was a vague world of shadows because in the Old Testament days there was no clear teaching about the afterlife. There was just an awareness that there was something. The first real idea of an eschatological place of punishment is found in Isaiah 66.24. There the idea was of a great rubbish dump outside Jerusalem on which the bodies of those who had transgressed against God would be cast, a place where the maggots never died and the fire was never quenched (thus guaranteeing the permanence of their destruction). And there their corpses would be an abhorrence to all flesh. There is no thought of conscious suffering. The same idea appears to be repeated in Daniel 12.2 where the unrighteous will suffer 'shame and everlasting contempt'. This is really the same as being an abhorrence to all flesh. Again there is no thought of conscious punishment. But by the time of the New Testament concepts had widened. The idea of an afterlife and the resurrection of the dead had become prevalent. And at the resurrection both the righteous and the unrighteous will be raised (John 5.29). In the New Testament there are two words translated 'Hell' in the AV, Hades and Gehenna. Hades, like Sheol, is the world of the dead. It is therefore the sphere of the intermediate state before the resurrection. That there is some unpleasantness about the experience there for the unrighteous comes out in the story of the rich man and Lazarus (Luke 16.19-31), for the rich man went to Hades. Lazarus went to be with Abraham and to enjoy the conscious presence of God. It is to be with Christ (Philippians 1.21-24). But the main emphasis is on the final resurrection and what follows. And it is then that men are sent to Gehenna. Gehenna is the place of destruction. It is likened to fire because fire is destructive. It is likened to outer darkness because it means being driven away from the light. Men gnash their teeth and wail when they are sent there because of what they have lost. And there also the maggots never die and the fire is not quenched (Mark 9.48). It is an 'another world' rubbish dump. It would appear that there certain levels of conscious punishment are meted out (Luke 12.47-48), but as some only receive a mild beating it is certainly not suffering the torments of everlasting consciousness in everlasting fire. On the whole the fate of the wicked is described as 'destruction', and the word used is the same as that used by Plato to describe annihilation. But if there is final annihilation we cannot avoid the fact that there are certain levels of conscious punishment prior to it. Much then depends on whether we accept the doctrine of the unconditional immortality of the soul. On that theory a soul cannot be destroyed and therefore any punishment must last for ever. But if we accept the idea that nothing is impossible with God, then He can destroy a soul, and that might well be what is in mind. The most vivid descriptions are found in the Book of Revelation. We must not tone them down, but it is noteworthy that the only ones said to suffer for ever and ever are Satan, the Wild Beast and the False Prophet (Revelation 20.10). As spiritual beings of immense power they are not of the norm. Nor incidentally would fire make them suffer. So the Lake of Fire is a concept speaking of some kind of spiritual realities. It is noteworthy that the Beast and the False Prophet are said to be thrown in 'alive' (Revelation 19.20). This is in contrast with human beings who are said to be slain. The latter are raised at the resurrection (Revelation 20.11-15) but they are still spoken of as 'the dead', very much in contrast with the 'aliveness' of the Beast, the False Prophet and Satan. Thus it may be that we are to see the dead as finally 'destroyed'. The only other passage that tells us about their punishment is in Revelation 14.9-11. But it should be noted there that while they are tortured (that is treated as prisoners on trial) it is only the smoke of their torment that goes up for ever and ever. It may therefore be that they themselves are finally destroyed. 'They have no rest day or night' refers to their worship of the Beast. Compare Revelation 4.8 where the living creatures also have no rest day or night from worshiping God. Thus their different treatments. The reference to eternal punishment in 25.46 does not necessarily mean eternal conscious punishment. It is the quality of the punishment that is in mind rather than its length, although it is of course eternal in that there is no way back from it. Compare how eternal judgment does not mean eternally being consciously judged. It refers to the fact that the judgment is of God and will have eternal consequences. Thus eternal punishment will have eternal consequences but will not necessarily be consciously experienced eternally This is a very brief treatment of what is clearly an important subject, but to deal with every relevant verse would take a book.

2. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

Good in this case is to follow God. We look at one word to much and need to look at the word in context. We all do. I as well. Context is king.

Sin is a path away from God.

The 10 commandments maybe better read..the 10 words of God. Do not take me wrong, they are commandments. But they are more then just that. They are words that tell is who God is. Do not lie...for God is truth. Do not murder...love, for God is love. The commandments did not make good. Good was already here, for we had a good God. The commandments show us who God is.

The other side of this. To not follow his commandments, is to take a path away from God. In the OT we followed because of fear. In the NT we follow in love.

Yes is was good. But this was not the making of "good". Creation was good because it came from a good God. God is the essence of good, so good was never made.

It was a good creation from a good God.

3. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

So James;
    In the final Analyzes you final say good was a "good creation from a good God". Like pulling hen teeth. :)

I will leave it there for we are getting off topic of "reformed believer", and I don't want to lead his thread off topic for this is a much deeper subject than just saying good and evil. peace

4. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I didn't go through all the posts so I don't know if the group called the
    Primitive Baptists Universalists (PBU) sometimes called "no-hellers" were mentioned.

As far as I know these are the only Baptists Universalists that I know of. Although I read a preserved article by a universalist in an old Boston paper (1800's) once who claimed to be a Baptist.

Anyway here is a blurb about the PBU:

http://www.universalist.org/sermons/perry_king_sermon_20040215.htm

Quaint and interesting.

HankD

5. drfuss

drfuss New Member

Orginal Posts:
    "My question for all, ( Calvinist or Arminian) is how we can reconcile that God would send anyone to hell for an eternity. If God is all knowing (and He is), why would he allow someone to come into existence knowing that they would never believe? We have the problem of an omni benevolent God allowing such a thing."

Sounds to me like a problem for those who believe in unconditional election.

BTW, the OP refers to a hyper-calvinist. Just what is a hyper-calvinists? A six point Calvinists?

6. reformedbeliever

Pardon me? How is this a problem only for those who believe in unconditional election? I fail to see the connection. I see it as a problem for calvinist or arminian alike... as I said in my OP.
    How do I refer to a hyper-calvinist? I never did so. Show me please. The fact that you asked what a hyper-calvinist is... explains why you think I refer to a "hyper-calvinist". A hyper-calvinist would believe in eternal justification... as some like to pin on calvinist. All calvinist I know never say that one does not have to believe. We know that after one is born again, they then have the ability to believe, and will do so. John 6:37. "All that the Father gives Me will come to Me, and the one who comes to Me I will certainly not cast out. Calvinist believe that one has to hear the Gospel, and respond favorably to it, to be saved. A hyper-calvinist would believe that the elect are saved regardless of whether or not they ever hear the Gospel.

7. drfuss

drfuss New Member

Reformedbelirver writes:
    "How do I refer to a hyper-calvinist? I never did so."

A quote from your first posts:
    "I don’t think there are many universalist among the Baptist. I have read that the General Baptist of England adopted universalism, and the Particular Baptist became hyper Calvinist."

Reformedbeliever writes:
    "Pardon me? How is this a problem only for those who believe in unconditional election? I fail to see the connection. I see it as a problem for calvinist or arminian alike... as I said in my OP."

I did not say it was not a problem for all christians. It is more of a problem for unconditional election than for others.

Unconditional election says only God made the choice of those who end up in hell. Those who were not of God's elect had no opportunity for heaven.

Unlike unconditional election, if you believe man has an input into the decision to accept Christ as savior, then man goes to hell for not accepting Christ as savior. Man at least has an opportunity to go to heaven.

8. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, I have been visiting that website for several years. It is one of my favorites. :thumbs:

Another excellent website is www.auburn.edu/~allenkc/univart.html.

#48 KenH, Jul 22, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2006
  9. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    What is "Christian Universalism"?

What is meant by the term Christian Universalism?

That Christianity is a "Universal Religion," and is for people everywhere and in all times, is a statement that is disputed by very few Christians today. But, the full extent of the truth of its universality is not realized by the majority.

Many people today may understand the term "Universalism", as it relates to religion, as a word that designates the belief that "All religions are equally true, good, and that they all equally will lead to heaven, or to God." This definition of "Universalism" could better be described as "Pluralist Universalism" and could be equated with "secular humanism".

This definition of "Universalism" is NOT to be confused with the original meaning of "Universalism" as it related to Christianity. The original meaning of "Universalism", as it relates to Christianity, could now be better described by using the term "Christian Universalism".

Any true definition of Christian Universalism MUST INCLUDE THE BELIEF that God is all Sovereign, loving, powerful, wise, just, and ultimately rules over everything. It MUST ALSO INCLUDE the belief that salvation is only by faith in God and was finalized by Jesus Christ "who gave Himself a ransom for all" (1 Tim 2:6). The definition of Christian Universalism DOES INCLUDE THE BELIEF that God "will have all men to be saved and come to a knowledge of the truth" (1 Tim. 2:4).

- rest at www.auburn.edu/~allenkc/chr-univ.html

10. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I AM A CONVINCED UNIVERSALIST

by William Barclay
    Professor of Divinity and Biblical Criticism at Glasgow University and the author of many Biblical commentaries and books, including a translation of the New Testament, "Barclay New Testament," and "The Daily Study Bible Series."

I am a convinced universalist. I believe that in the end all men will be gathered into the love of God. In the early days Origen was the great name connected with universalism. I would believe with Origen that universalism is no easy thing. Origen believed that after death there were many who would need prolonged instruction, the sternest discipline, even the severest punishment before they were fit for the presence of God. Origen did not eliminate hell; he believed that some people would have to go to heaven via hell. He believed that even at the end of the day there would be some on whom the scars remained. He did not believe in eternal punishment, but he did see the possibility of eternal penalty. And so the choice is whether we accept God's offer and invitation willingly, or take the long and terrible way round through ages of purification.

Gregory of Nyssa offered three reasons why he believed in universalism. First, he believed in it because of the character of God. "Being good, God entertains pity for fallen man; being wise, he is not ignorant of the means for his recovery." Second, he believed in it because of the nature of evil. Evil must in the end be moved out of existence, "so that the absolutely non-existent should cease to be at all." Evil is essentially negative and doomed to non-existence. Third, he believed in it because of the purpose of punishment. The purpose of punishment is always remedial. Its aim is "to get the good separated from the evil and to attract it into the communion of blessedness." Punishment will hurt, but it is like the fire which separates the alloy from the gold; it is like the surgery which removes the diseased thing; it is like the cautery which burns out that which cannot be removed any other way.

But I want to set down not the arguments of others but the thoughts which have persuaded me personally of universal salvation.

First, there is the fact that there are things in the New Testament which more than justify this belief. Jesus said: "I, when I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all men to myself" (John 12:32). Paul writes to the Romans: "God has consigned all men to disobedience that he may have mercy on all" (Rom. 11:32). He writes to the Corinthians: "As in Adam all die, so also in Christ shall all be made alive" (1 Cor. 15:22); and he looks to the final total triumph when God will be everything to everyone (1 Cor. 15:28). In the First Letter to Timothy we read of God "who desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth," and of Christ Jesus "who gave himself as a ransom for all" (1 Tim 2:4-6). The New Testament itself is not in the least afraid of the word all.

Second, one of the key passages is Matthew 25:46 where it is said that the rejected go away to eternal punishment, and the righteous to eternal life. The Greek word for punishment is kolasis, which was not originally an ethical word at all. It originally meant the pruning of trees to make them grow better. I think it is true to say that in all Greek secular literature kolasis is never used of anything but remedial punishment. The word for eternal is aionios. It means more than everlasting, for Plato - who may have invented the word - plainly says that a thing may be everlasting and still not be aionios. The simplest way to out it is that aionios cannot be used properly of anyone but God; it is the word uniquely, as Plato saw it, of God. Eternal punishment is then literally that kind of remedial punishment which it befits God to give and which only God can give.

Third, I believe that it is impossible to set limits to the grace of God. I believe that not only in this world, but in any other world there may be, the grace of God is still effective, still operative, still at work. I do not believe that the operation of the grace of God is limited to this world. I believe that the grace of God is as wide as the universe.

Fourth, I believe implicitly in the ultimate and complete triumph of God, the time when all things will be subject to him, and when God will be everything to everyone (1 Cor. 15:24-28). For me this has certain consequences. If one man remains outside the love of God at the end of time, it means that that one man has defeated the love of God - and that is impossible. Further, there is only one way in which we can think of the triumph of God. If God was no more than a King or Judge, then it would be possible to speak of his triumph, if his enemies were agonizing in hell or were totally and completely obliterated and wiped out. But God is not only King and Judge, God is Father - he is indeed Father more than anything else. No father could be happy while there were members of his family for ever in agony. No father would count it a triumph to obliterate the disobedient members of his family. The only triumph a father can know is to have all his family back home. The only victory love can enjoy is the day when its offer of love is answered by the return of love. The only possible final triumph is a universe loved by and in love with God.
    [Quoted from William Barclay: A Spiritual Autobiography, pg 65-67, William B Eerdmans Publishing Company, Grand Rapids, 1977.]​

- www.auburn.edu/~allenkc/barclay1.html

#50 KenH, Jul 22, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2006
  11. The Archangel

The Archangel Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    to all,

Simply put, if the above post is saying "All men (and women) are saved, even if they do not believe in Christ, it is a heresy pure and simple.

If all are saved, as I think the above post is arguing for, then there is no need for a separation of “Sheep” and “Goats” and that contradicts Scripture.

There are SO many things wrong with “Universalism” even the heresy of so-called “Christian Universalism.” I won’t go into them at this time.

Blessings, and avoid this heresy!

The Archangel

12. reformedbeliever

Drfuss, I appologize... but that reference was only to the Baptist forefathers and where their theology lead them. You are right however... I did refer to them. :laugh: Calvinist do not believe that God predestines anyone to hell. We do beleive they go there because they reject Jesus as Lord and Savior. Not any different than an Arminian. We beleive that the elect are predestined to salvation. We believe that the non-elect are offered salvation like anyone else... it is just that God does not change their nature to be inclined toward Jesus in Faith. They go to hell because they choose to not believe. This is where a lot of Arminians falsely say that we do not think that the elect have to believe. Some truly know what we believe, but dishonestly accuse us of the idea that a person does not have to believe. Then again, there are some who are just too dense to grasp what we beleive, I suppose. I'm not accusing you of that at all... as you seem to have honestly asked what a hyper-calvinist believes. A hyper-calvinist would not think that missions or the great commission is necessary, as God will save whom He will, whether we share the Gospel or not. That is disobeying what we were told in Matt. 28:19-20. We are obedient to God and the great commission, and feel privileged to be tools with which God is pleased to use to accomplish His purposes. His purposes are to bring the Gospel to the elect and the non-elect alike. The ones who reject the Gospel choose their just reward. The elect deserve damnation, it is only by God's grace that we are saved.

13. reformedbeliever

Thank you Ken H. I look forward to reading these links as soon as I have time. My wife has me involved in honey-dos at the moment... and I better get them done. I'm alergic to ignoring my wife's honey-dos... it causes bumps to break out all over my head.:tongue3: God bless you brother.

14. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is exactly what it is saying except that one day they beyond this life they WILL believe in Christ.
    However I don't believe anyone posting here believes even that (unless there are "no-hellers" here). The O/P wanted to know about Universalism. What you are seeing and reading are quotes from articles and books from those who do (even some Baptists).

HankD

15. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not sure what you mean by "that" but I do believe that God's love will eventually overcome even the hardest heart and Hell, while being an awful place that no one should want to go to, will be a temporary abode when looked at from the standpoint of eternity.

16. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

They just believe that God creates them sinful and gives them a choice that don't include anything except hell, with the exception of the "elect".

17. reformedbeliever

BB. This is exactly the dishonesty I was speaking of. You take your pick. You are either too dense to understand plain english, or you are dishonest. Which is it? Now go spew your hatred somewhere else. Shame on you!

18. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Does the truth hurt or what. Tell me what is wrong with it. Calvinist do believe that you have a choice but you cannot choose "saved". You tell me where that is wrong.

#58 Brother Bob, Jul 22, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2006
  19. reformedbeliever

BB. God did not create man sinful. They choose to be... The choices they are given include the choice of believing unto salvation. That is against their nature however. Now, as I've said before... either you [personal attack deleted]. Take your pick.

#59 reformedbeliever, Jul 22, 2006
  20. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

So, now you are saying when they are born they are not sinners? But they choose to go out in sin? When you say it is against their nature you are saying they cannot choose salvation because of a nature that God give them. You speak both ways. Either choose one or the other you can't both. Please quit accusing me of anything. Just use Scriptures perferrably.

#60 Brother Bob, Jul 22, 2006