1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Christian women w/ Authority over men

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by donnA, Feb 10, 2005.

1. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

There is nothing worse than a leader who will not lead or a 'sympathy' leader...

2. jim62

jim62 New Member

3. PastorGreg

PastorGreg Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Which has absolutely nothing to do with the discussion of this thread.

4. donnA

donnA Active Member

I've seen plenty of men who didn't want to lead a family, wanted nothing to do with family. Had nothing to do with his wife either. Maybe it's just where I live that I've seen it, most people never meet these types of peoples in their lives.

5. PastorGreg

PastorGreg Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think we've probably all seen them, Donna, and all would agree that the behavior of such a man is reprehensible.

6. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What is a born-again wife to do about a born-again husband who is sincerely wrong about spiritual matters? Does she follow him into the ditch?

Selah,

Bro. James

7. I Am Blessed 24

I've heard one is supposed to Bro. James, but I don't agree with that (especially when children are involved).

Someone has to teach them values...

8. PastorGreg

PastorGreg Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    To follow a leader who is mistaken is not necessarily the same as following into the error. e.g. If he is a theistic evolutionist, she can honor him, follow him, etc. without having to adopt his belief.

If he's only a 20% godly leader, she is to follow him 100% in that 20%. Obviously, relationship is vital so that she feels comfortable asking questions and expressing her viewpoint.

9. I Am Blessed 24

So is she to allow him to teach the children this mistaken theology or should she go against him and teach them the right theology behind his back?

This subject is a lot more complicated than some would have us to believe...

Sometimes (at least to me) it's not as simple as "the man is the leader of the home".

10. PastorGreg

PastorGreg Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Absolutely correct, but she can teach them values without rebelling against her husband or showing disrespect toward him, thus instilling disrespect for him in them. There is a huge difference between, "Kids, here's what the Bible teaches and what God wants us to do" and, "Kids, I know your dad doesn't believe this, but...."

11. PastorGreg

PastorGreg Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    [/QUOTE]So is she to allow him to teach the children this mistaken theology or should she go against him and teach them the right theology behind his back?

This subject is a lot more complicated than some would have us to believe...

Sometimes (at least to me) it's not as simple as "the man is the leader of the home". [/QB][/QUOTE]

She doesn't "allow" him to do anything. He outranks her. yes, in most cases, it is as simple as that.

12. I Am Blessed 24

And what happens when one of the kids says, "But Daddy doesn't believe that."?

13. PastorGreg

PastorGreg Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    She must always remember what GOD says. In all of these threads there is a lot of humanistic philosophy. God says her husband is her head. God says she is to submit to him (which is a military term meaning that he outranks her.) God says that she is to obey her husband. God says that she is to respect him. God says that if he is disobedient to Scripture she will not win him with her words but with her life of loving obedience.

With all of that in mind, she must trust God. She must pray for her husband, believing that God can change his heart. She must ask God for wisdom, James 1:5. In so many of these discussions, those arguing for the woman's right to disobey her husband seem to forget that God is still alive and powerful and able to change hearts.

So, in answering the above question she must be careful to obey GOD and respond graciously to her children, seeking to elevate her husband in their eyes. This God honors. The specific answer would depend on the age/spiritual understanding of the child. If they are old enough, probably something like, "God made Daddy our leader and we must never argue with Him, but show him the love of Jesus. If we think Daddy is wrong we can pray and ask God to help him see the truth."

I really believe that God will give the woman with a proper spirit the wisdom to respond right without compromising God's truth.

14. Pastor_Bob

Pastor_Bob Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    My two favorite verses on this topic are Ephesians 5:25 and I Peter 3:1.

I've never personally met a husband who does his best to love his wife as Christ loved the church who didn't have a wife that responded to him properly and submit to her God-given role in the home.

For those who may have lost or backslidden husbands, I Peter 3:1 very clearly teaches that it is by your submission and reverence to him that will win him; even without preaching to him.

Eph 5:25 Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it; (KJV)

1 Peter 3:1 Likewise, ye wives, be in subjection to your own husbands; that, if any obey not the word, they also may without the word be won by the conversation of the wives; (KJV)

15. LRL71

LRL71 New Member

Amen Pastor_Bob! [​IMG]

Now that I've been married for just under three months, your remarks above are heartily received in the grace that you have stated them. No wonder you're a pastor!! [​IMG]

16. donnA

donnA Active Member

Yes it is, it makes us sick to see it. A woman who doesn't want her husbands position in the family and a husband who won't take it. According to my husband, 'he needs to get up off his lazy ****'

17. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Exactly, Pastor Bob.