1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Christianity and Paganism - What is the Truth?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Adonia, Apr 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jason1

Jason1 Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    No, you're making lies up about me time after time. It is quite sad

2. MennoSota

MennoSota Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You deny Yeshua is YHWH himself. This is not a lie. You attempt to hit the mark by your own efforts. This is not a lie. You have missed the mark and are dead in your trespasses and sins. This is not a lie. You need to be made alive in Christ so that you might hit the mark. This is not a lie.

3. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    So do the Orthodox.

Yet it is true that the patriarchic churches of the East generally acknowledged the primacy of Rome, though not necessarily in the juridicial exercise of authority — unless, of course, it was to their advantage. An example is the battle of the iconoclastic Byzantine emperors against the Byzantine patriarchs. The patriarchs were eager to enlist the help of Rome in that circumstance because it strengthened their hand.

#63 rsr, Apr 24, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
  4. Jason1

Jason1 Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I've explained many times yet you must not read it. I never denied him and i've always stated we needed him. In fact I state we need Him even more because He is the word. You even posted false links.

Your discredit campaign is over.

5. MennoSota

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Is Yeshua, Jesus, YHWH himself? Yes or no

6. Jason1

Jason1 Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    This has already been answered in another thread. How soon you forget.

7. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    I will bow out of this conversation because it it no longer about he OP but about "Hebrew roots."

It's a shame, really, because I think the documentary evidence is against Peter as the first bishop of Rome (based on Latin Rite documents).

#67 rsr, Apr 24, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. MennoSota

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You refuse to say Yes, Jason. Your trespasses and sins remain and you are dead in sin.

9. Jason1

Jason1 Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Rsr, the hebrew roots is all about coming out of paganism. Its only the Word stealer who keeps trying to stifle the truth.

And you're right, Peter was not the first pope. If it was a peter, it would more be peter magnus

10. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But you do not believe Him Jason. M keeps telling you who He is but you refuse Him.
    Believe on Him and live forever.

John 8:24 I said therefore unto you, that ye shall die in your sins: for if ye believe not that I AM ye shall die in your sins.

John 11:26 And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this?

HankD

• Like Like x 1
  11. MennoSota

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Correct, the evidence does not support Peter as bishop, let alone the Pope. This being said, we are indebted to the churches who copied and kept the writings of the Apostles and early church leaders while they suffered persecution.

• Like Like x 1
  12. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jason, I don't know what your pre-HRM background was but here is an article which points also to other articles concerning what HRM is all about compared to orthodox Christianity.

The biggest disagreement being that HRM denies the Trinity, denies the deity of Christ, denies that salvation comes by grace through faith in Jesus Christ plus nothing else (Torah keeping in particular).

I doubt that you will read it/them but here it is.

Torah Observance – Opposing God, Following Blind Men

HankD

13. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    From vitriol central: Amazing! Some one made the observation that Christendom is polluted by paganism. So, let's make another golden calf and keep on trucking.

One major counter point: God has had and continues to have a remnant in every generation those who have not bowed to Baal. See: Great Flood, Sodom and Gomorrah, and Exodus from Egypt. This remnant has never been in charge of governments nor have they forced their beliefs on anyone. They have been a witness to the Truth even through today.

Jesus gave His authority to His Church, not to a man or group of men. He also gave The Holy Spirit to lead, guide and direct in all Truth. Jesus also promised to never leave nor forsake his little flock. To say that everyone has apostasized is to say Jesus has not kept His promises.

These are all signs of the end of the age. Are we ready? Will your religion get you too heaven? Are you sure?

Even so, come, Lord Jesus.

Bro. James

14. Jason1

Jason1 Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Hank,

That article is written by someone who has absolutely no idea what they're talking about. It is not representative AT ALL. I find it really sad that people try to discredit obeying the Father (another bird of the air trying to steal the word that was sown).

This is what most christians say or think: "We obey, we just don't obey too much". I call that utter foolishness with a little retard thrown in for good measure!

Maybe you and mennosota should write a hit piece together because you both fail to grasp what scripture really says about obedience. In fact, if you actually read scripture, it talks about it about every other verse.

15. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are wrong Jason.
    The HRM came to our church last year and captivated one of our church members who then tried to take other members along with him.

I confronted him publicly and privately.

I rescued 2 other members from his error which he tried to disseminate in our local church.
    He impacted several others in our local church and community.
    He went on to Facebook and I confronted him again in his heresy.
    He of course unfriended me but I still had to clean up the error in our local church and area.

You and he are "two peas in a pod" in your teaching.
    That is why I knew immediately that you are associated with HRM.
    The site I gave is VERY accurate concerning the error of the HRM.
    In fact I wondered if you ARE GM (his initials)?

IMO You are attempting to deceive the folks here at the BB.
    The HRM is the remnant/offshoot of Herbert Armstrong's The Worldwide Church of God.

Here is a propaganda site.
    Sacred Name/Hebrew Roots

Here is your core belief.

You do not accept the Trinity.
    You do not accept the Bible fact that Jesus Christ is God come in the flesh.
    You do not accept salvation by grace through faith in Jesus Christ plus nothing.
    You do not accept the second birth of the children of God.

There are many other doctrine which are covered in the writings I gave and I am willing to discuss any of them publicly.

Here is an exhaustive expose of HRM teachings.
    Hebrew Roots Movement | Apologetics Index

John 8:24 I said therefore unto you, that ye shall die in your sins: for if ye believe not that I AM, ye shall die in your sins.

John 8:58 Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I AM.

John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I AM the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

HankD

#75 HankD, Apr 25, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
  16. Jason1

Jason1 Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Lies again. I don't support Trinity but the rest I do. Have said so many times. Don't lie false accuser.

17. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    OK we will take them one by one.
    You admit you do not support Trinity belief.

Is Jesus Christ God come in the Flesh?

HankD

18. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The church of Rome on that agrees with the Mormons/Jw as they also claim to be infallible, so whose view is correct? Hint, NONE!

19. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you see jesus as being very God?

20. mastrhiram

mastrhiram New Member

The weary old theory that Christianity is just paganism warmed up always circulates around this time of year.

Armchair atheists like to point out the similarity between the word “Easter” and the Near Eastern goddess “Ishtar”. The problem is, the myth of Ishtar had nothing to do with resurrection from the dead. She was the goddess of fertility, and went down into the underworld, but that’s about the extent of the similarity between the myth of Ishtar and the story of Jesus Christ. From Wikipedia, here is the story of Ishtar. See how similar it feels to the gospel account of Jesus’ death and resurrection:

One of the most famous myths[6] about Ishtar describes her descent to the underworld. In this myth, Ishtar approaches the gates of the underworld and demands that the gatekeeper open them:

If thou openest not the gate to let me enter,
    I will break the door, I will wrench the lock,
    I will smash the door-posts, I will force the doors.
    I will bring up the dead to eat the living.
    And the dead will outnumber the living.

The gatekeeper hurried to tell Ereshkigal, the Queen of the Underworld. Ereshkigal told the gatekeeper to let Ishtar enter, but “according to the ancient decree”.

The gatekeeper let Ishtar into the underworld, opening one gate at a time. At each gate, Ishtar had to shed one article of clothing. When she finally passed the seventh gate, she was naked. In a rage, Ishtar threw herself at Ereshkigal, but Ereshkigal ordered her servant Namtar to imprison Ishtar and unleash sixty diseases against her.

After Ishtar descended to the underworld, all sexual activity ceased on earth. The god Papsukal reported the situation to Ea, the king of the gods. Ea created an intersex being called Asu-shu-namir and sent them to Ereshkigal, telling them to invoke “the name of the great gods” against her and to ask for the bag containing the waters of life. Ereshkigal was enraged when she heard Asu-shu-namir’s demand, but she had to give them the water of life. Asu-shu-namir sprinkled Ishtar with this water, reviving her. Then, Ishtar passed back through the seven gates, getting one article of clothing back at each gate, and was fully clothed as she exited the last gate.

Most ludicrous is the supposition that because the word “Ishtar” sounds like “Easter” they must be linked.

In fact “Ishtar” is of Akkadian origin and Easter comes from Anglo Saxon. Thinking they are linked is kind of like saying “Elvis” must be linked to the resurrection because it is an anagram of “Lives”.

Early Christians didn't hi-jack pagan myths and lay a heavy layer of mythology over the simple Jesus story. Do a little more research before posting falsehood.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.