1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Christians Carrying Concealed Weapons - Falwell vs. Piper

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Deacon, Dec 26, 2015.

1. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I'm just curious, who are you hanging out with that you're getting violently attacked by multiple attackers? And, even if armed with a handgun, do you think the vast majority of Americans are well trained to fend them off?

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I understand what you are saying. However, their example can be attributed to any number of things. There is no clear indicator here that it was a biblical command to be a pacifist. I would be careful on trying to insist these passages communicate an absolute command from God. The actual purpose in those passages is not to speak to the issue. They may be a good example but it would do those passages harm to insist they give a clear command on pacifism.

3. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm curious, what type of neighborhood do you live in where you have theft coverage through your homeowner's policy.
    :)

4. preachinjesus

Site Supporter

Apologies, but I don't think I catch the drift here. It is entirely likely that my dunderheadedness is getting in the way.

I've always said anyone who truly needs something from my house need only ask. Forceful taking not necessary. :)

5. preachinjesus

Site Supporter

I agree that radical pacificism is not directly taught in the NT. That said, I believe the model of Scripture is to live at peace as best as possible and that Christians are to champion a total pro-life position. This includes seeking ways to end violence without means of taking life from another. If our prolife position ends with abortion and doesn't extend to all areas of life we seem to have short sold the NT witness. Jesus says blessed are the peacemakers, and our model is to turn the other cheek, go another mile in the oppressor's shoes, etc. and not to be rebellious or reactionary. Perhaps this hermeneutic is short sighted, but I do believe that when Paul grants the power of the sword to the state (Rom 13) it is in direct line with Jesus' teachings and anytime death is inflicted on others that it should grieve the heart of the Church for we stand for the whole life of all until their natural end. If for no other reason than it allows us the time to appeal to their souls for salvation. :)

6. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You asked about the likelihood of encountering multiple violent attackers after I pointed out that stun guns and pepper spray weren't effective against multiple attackers. My response was only meant to show that there are many unlikely events that people still prepare for.

I thought it was a better response than googling up gruesome examples of people being attacked by multiple violent attackers.

7. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You would be surprised at just how many Americans can handle guns of all kinds.

8. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are 22 million veterans, 1 million law enforcement personnel, and 300 million guns in America.

LOTS of people can handle guns in America.

HankD

• Like Like x 1
  9. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    HankD..., I remember a sound bite from Pelosi a few years ago where she claimed that 18 year old "kids" were not responsible enough to have or own weapons. Beside the comment was a picture of a platoon of "kids" armed to the teeth in a rice patty in Vietnam.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Ditto. Gives me an excuse not to have to pack it if I move. :p

11. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Supposing they could get through security, I wonder what would happen if, for example, during the 1 million people plus gathering in Times Square for New Year's , a terrorist strikes and 10,000 armed concealed carry permitted individuals decide to start shooting?

I wonder how many would get killed from the fire of others or from the cops thinking they were a danger? It's just not wise to have everybody playing cop.

12. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Zaac, please go back and edit this. You're smarter than this. Your scenario is stupid. You're using histrionics; you're better than that.

How much space do 10,000 people take up? (1 terrorist with a firearm; unless you can fit all 10,000 into his/her immediate vicinity...only those "within range" will return fire, and that will most likely be in the "12 people" range, not 10,000.)

What weapon is the terrorist using? (If I were so inclined, in an area with 1 million people, I would go for maximum damage--so I wouldn't use a firearm. I'd use the biggest explosive I could muster, with lots of ball bearings and metal bits. This, there'd be no one for your 10,000 to start shooting at.)

Unless you're trying to say that 10,000 people with carry licenses will be attending, just itching to pull the trigger on someone...and that's just as bad as saying all muslims are terrorists.

13. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Pelosi - It figures.

HankD

14. preachinjesus

Site Supporter

I don't believe 22 million veterans, however well trained with rifles and small arms, have ever had to actually kill someone and even less so in close combat. Also, I trust the 1 million properly trained (and I think it is higher than that) law enforcement officers to properly use a handgun.

I do not trust the vast majority of untrained Americans to properly handle a handgun in a moment of extreme physiological terror. With a rifle, from a longer distance, the entire situation is different. With a handgun, the action is on top of each other. You are in close proximity. The amount of adrenaline that is injected into your body training to manage and channel. Firing, precisely, amid a torrent of emotion, psychological energy, physical responses, and nervous system overload is extraordinarily difficult without the proper training.

This is called scotopic vision in technical literature and it takes significant training to harness and use effectively. Someone who is under duress of an attack has to master their physiological response in addition to maintaining focus, narrowing peripheral vision, utilizing proper hand-eye-coordination, ensuring the depth perception stays the same, not fixating on one point and neglecting the field of vision, and channeling their adrenaline to maximize their sensory perception without sudden temporary blindness and/or loss of motor control. And all in a split second.

I do not trust the average American to accomplish this successfully with a handgun.

Police officers, psychologists, security experts, and medical professionals all warn against the dangers of untrained civilians believing they can fire for effect in crucial moments of close range. With the proper training someone can indeed overcome the physiological responses and be effective, but the vast majority of Americans do not have that training.

Lots of people can carry handguns in the United States. Few people can properly handle them in crucial moments of need. This isn't the movies. This isn't tv. There are extraordinary psychological, emotional, and physical challenges to ending someone's life...even for law enforcement.

15. preachinjesus

Site Supporter

I respectfully disagree in heightened moments of having to shoot someone to end their life. Many Americans can handle single shot rifles or shotguns when hunting, but that is entirely different than close quarters combat which the vast majority of handgun incidents are. This isn't the movies. Bullets don't fly around people, and shooters don't have amazing aim (unless you're a storm trooper and then you'll miss everything.)

16. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Does that mean that they should be denied their chance?

If I was in a plane and all of the pilots died, I would still get behind the stick, even if I doubted my ability to accomplish a landing successfully.

Likewise, if an American is confronted with armed assailants wishing to take his or her life, I would not deny them their chance at defending themselves, just because I doubted their abilities.

17. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

No. I'm envisioning something of a domino effect. If one person fires, then someone else might react to that fire and fire. And that might cause some other folks who are near and see someone with a gun to fire.

There's nothing any more histrionic about this scenario than 10,000 Syrian refugees deciding to blow us up.

In my scenario, a gun was being used so what you would do, even though more effective in a crowd, doesn't have anything to do with my scenario.

That's not what I said. Again, I think the country is so on edge, that if in a crowd of people, someone starts to shoot and you've got permitted people in the crowd who react, they might end up shot too because someone thinks they are the original shooter.

18. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then you don't believe the US Census Bureau.

http://www.usnews.com/news/blogs/data-mine/2014/11/10/veterans-day-data-boot-camp

Every veteran (at least when I was in the military) has to qualify in the field of firearms. My last 3 years in the USAF I qualified as Marksman, Sharpshooter and then Expert before my tour of duty was up.

OK so the Second Amendment was not needed? The founding fathers thought so. Let everyone join the NRA and learn.

Well call it what you will, analyze it and dissect it.
    It's the second Amendment part of the Bill of Rights and as much as you dislike it you have to live with it.

HankD

19. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well I trust them. I certainly trust them more than I trust the government for anything.

20. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    However, they are trained under stressful conditions to defend against enemies. They and their training are well worth all trust.