1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Christians trying to bind the hurricane

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by JimboJones, Sep 6, 2004.

1. Michael52

Michael52 Member

JimboJones

I pray Diane won't mind if I respond to this. I know exactly what you mean. I was saved at 12 years old. I was saved by God's grace and not necessarily because I had read the Bible much. As I became an adult, I drifted away and got out of Church, as many do. Though, through the years I would watch TV preachers. Many were the ordinary (ie "boring") type with which I mostly agreed. Some were the "word of faith" type which are obviously more exciting and "scary". They scared me because the things they preached, I really had a hard time believing. I wondered whether I disagreed because of my religious upbringing or my "secular" education. Or, was it simply because I was lost and had no faith? In any case I was a bit confused, to say the least.

The Holy Spirit led me to want to read the Bible for myself. My personal motivation was to prove any of those "religious nuts" wrong, of whatever type they were.

Well I started reading the Bible. It was amazing. Rather than being a lot of silliness, it made a lot of sense. I learned that much of the "secular" wisdom that I had learned over the years, was really God's wisdom and it came from the Bible. The more I read, studied and prayed, the more I realized the "boring" preachers were right (not so boring after all), the others much less correct.

My advice is to stay in Church, read the Bible and pray. The Holy Spirit will, maybe slowly, but surely open your mind and heart to the truth. Those word-of-faith preachers are successful because they only preach from a small portion of the scripture. If you doubt this, pay attention to there limited vocabulary. About every third word is "seed", "harvest", or "anointing". This is successful because it speaks to what people "itch" to hear. Pray that their hearts and minds will be opened to the truth.

We ALL fall short and need God's wisdom.

2. Johnv

Johnv New Member

One of the biggest misconceptions is when people pray expecting to change things, but not change themselves. I've long since discovered that prayer doesn't change things. Prayer changes me for things. And, if by me changing, outside things get changed, then all the better.

We're so important on trying to get the mountain to move, that we neglect trying to have faith of a mustard seed.

3. askM

askM New Member

Yes, you are right.
    They confused me big time! :(
    I don't even know how to pray anymore. I feel like I don't have enough faith cause I cannot pray like them. I mean I cannot pray for something and know that God will really give it to me, I mean it's up to God and not to me. :/
    </font>[/QUOTE]I agree with other posts, that you should get into a good church. The problem is, most of the time it's hard to find a good biblically sound church. I'm no bible scholar, but there are some online resources that I personally have found to be very biblical and interesting to listen to. THE most important thing is to read your bible. Some of it may get confusing at times if you are new in Christ, so just pray over it and check out the resources I'll give you to help. I hope I can do that here= I'm a little new to the site. It doesn't matter what words you use when you pray, God knows when we speak from the Heart and a sincere prayer is always better than some rehearsed jargon. Anyone who loves the Lord and is saved knows how to pray ;) Here are my favorites, please listen and I hope you enjoy:

Adrian Rogers
    http://www.lwf.org/CC_Content_Page/0,,PTID319326|CHID629268|CIID,00.html

Greg Laurie
    http://www.harvest.org/radio/index.php/8.html

Charles Stanley
    http://www.intouch.org/intouch/site.show_page?p_id=77395

Let me know if something goes wrong with the links. I will be praying for you! Praise the Lord that you have turned to him! Understanding and wisdom will come in time...keep seeking and you will find [​IMG]

4. JimboJones

JimboJones New Member

5. JimboJones

JimboJones New Member

Thank you all for your answers, I don't have time right now but I'll read them later. [​IMG]

6. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

I don't know of the group, but have no problem with someone praying for a hurricane to stop. They're deadly, and I don't think anyone would have a problem with praying for a murderer to quit coming toward them.
    The comment about Satan made me think a bit. We pray all the time for strength to not give in to temptation, or influences that are Satanic (ie wrong), but how often do we pray that Satanic influence not happen in the first place, that it be removed from us?
    It's not silly. Things happen when we pray with faith and a pure heart.
    Gina

7. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Uhhh, you need to educate yourself on hurricanes, dude. This is not uncommon when a hurricane travels into an area where envorinmental temperatures and pressures differ. Also note the quote from the story: "Generally when a storm like that is sitting in one place it loses its intensity, and then going over land further weakens it".

Also, the story in the link is from the 4th, two days BEFORE you posted the opening post. Not so "freaky" after all. Methinks you're looking for something that doesn't exist.