1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Christology and Preterism Part 2

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by prophecy70, Oct 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why don'tcha simply answer his question?

2. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your imagination works overtime. This is the simple hermeneutic I'm referring to, no "slavish translation" involved, only scripture interpreting itself. And, there is a lot of CONTEXT CONTEXT CONTEXT involved (you know, you preach CONTEXT CONTEXT CONTEXT)

Does your great learning, or your slavish adherence to futurist eschatology, blind you to the synonomy of 'His coming' and 'the coming of the kingdom'?:

28 Verily I say unto you, there are some of them that stand here, who shall in no wise taste of death, till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom. Mt 16
    1 And he said unto them, Verily I say unto you, There are some here of them that stand by, who shall in no wise taste of death, till they see the kingdom of God come with power. Mk 9
    27 But I tell you of a truth, There are some of them that stand here, who shall in no wise taste of death, till they see the kingdom of God. Lk 9

31 Even so ye also, when ye see these things coming to pass, know ye that the kingdom of God is nigh.
    32 Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass away, till all things be accomplished. Lk 21
    33 even so ye also, when ye see all these things, know ye that he is nigh, even at the doors.
    34 Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass away, till all these things be accomplished. Mt 24
    29 even so ye also, when ye see these things coming to pass, know ye that he is nigh, even at the doors.
    30 Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass away, until all these things be accomplished. Mk 9

Does your great learning, or your slavish adherence to futurist eschatology, blind you to the synonomy of 'some will not taste of death' and 'this generation will not pass away'?:

28 Verily I say unto you, there are some of them that stand here, who shall in no wise taste of death, till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom. Mt 16
    1 And he said unto them, Verily I say unto you, There are some here of them that stand by, who shall in no wise taste of death, till they see the kingdom of God come with power. Mk 9
    27 But I tell you of a truth, There are some of them that stand here, who shall in no wise taste of death, till they see the kingdom of God. Lk 9

31 Even so ye also, when ye see these things coming to pass, know ye that the kingdom of God is nigh.
    32 Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass away, till all things be accomplished. Lk 21
    33 even so ye also, when ye see all these things, know ye that he is nigh, even at the doors.
    34 Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass away, till all these things be accomplished. Mt 24
    29 even so ye also, when ye see these things coming to pass, know ye that he is nigh, even at the doors.
    30 Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass away, until all these things be accomplished. Mk 9

If learning Greek causes one to act juvenile I want nothing to do with it.

#42 kyredneck, Oct 23, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hadrian's dispersion didn't occur til 135-136 AD, which was at least 2 generations removed from those tho whom Jesus spoke. And that was some of their punishment for rejecting and murdering Him. This punishment began to abate only when the nazis fell.

4. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You have a big, big prob with "this generation" - they DIDN'T see those events because THEY HAVEN'T HAPPENED YET!

And some of the disciples saw Him coming in His kingdom when they saw Him transfigured.

Right now, we are citizens-elect of His kingdom, which He isn't yet ruling.

Disagree with that explanation because you're in thrall to preterism? Remember what the functioning kingdom will be - on the millenial earth, with Jesus ruling from Jerusalem, while Satan is exiled to "the abyss". Obviously, that hasn't happened yet, so you either must accept my explanation, or invent a better one.

5. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    <Sigh> Once again you display an alarming lack of ability to follow the conversation. I was given a list of verses and challenged to translate them all as "race" or "people" which is, on the very surface, absurd.

Please. Try to follow the discussion. Having to take time to explain simple concepts to you detracts from the thread.

6. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As I said. Juvenile.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Where exactly did P70 call Fausett a liar. I looked, couldn't find it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, he'd rather falsely accuse you. It's called argumentum ad hominem. Nearly his whole participation on this thread reeks with it.

#48 kyredneck, Oct 23, 2017
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
  10. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What part of, "Where exactly did P70 call Fausett a liar", do you not comprehend? Or is this just another dodge?

Answer the question.

Where exactly did P70 call Fausett a liar?

• Like Like x 1
  11. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good post. He needs to be called down about this sort of behavior. We wouldn't want folks to lose respect for BB Admin/Moderation, would we?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Please try to stay on topic.

13. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Please stop dodging.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Stay on topic or I will as the Admin Council to close the thread.

15. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    K. Back to topic. The question in the OP:

The very simple hermeneutic of comparing scriptures plainly shows the synonomy of 'His coming,' and, 'the coming of the kingdom':

The very simple hermeneutic of comparing scriptures also plainly shows the synonomy of 'some will not taste of death', and, 'this generation will not pass away' ....:

...and removes all doubt that "this generation" are those contemporary to Christ in the 1st century .

#55 kyredneck, Oct 23, 2017
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Covenanter

Covenanter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for the link - Fausset seems rather superficial compared with his contemporary Strong in that he gives opinion rather than the information for a careful study.

You quoted:
    In Matthew 24:34 "this generation shall not pass (namely, the Jewish race, of which the generation in Christ's days was a sample in character; compare Christ's address to the generation, Matthew 23:35-36, in proof that generation means at times the whole Jewish race) until all these things be fulfilled," a prophecy that the Jews shall be a distinct people still when He shall come again. ​

That is clearly his highly questionable opinion rather than a reasoned Scriptural explanation. His 'proof' is Jesus specific denunciation of you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites. The Jewish race was NOT guilty of killing Abel, nor the crimes of the antediluvians He's NOT addressing the Jewish race. He is addressing you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites who were guilty of rejecting & crucifying their Messiah, their only Saviour.

Further they rejected the Gospel messengers Jesus sent to them - see Acts - and they were declared uncircumcised.

Sorry - Fausset is wrong.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Excellent! But the righteous blood of all those slain on the earth came upon 'that generation' contemporary with Christ and the Apostles:

51 Ye stiffnecked and uncircumcised in heart and ears, ye do always resist the Holy Spirit: as your fathers did, so do ye.
    52 Which of the prophets did not your fathers persecute? and they killed them that showed before of the coming of the Righteous One; of whom ye have now become betrayers and murderers; Acts 7

#57 kyredneck, Oct 23, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. prophecy70

prophecy70 Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I condemn my phone sometimes.

19. prophecy70

prophecy70 Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    There goes that word again "liar" You implied this once before, Now you you are saying we called Fausset a Liar?

So His Co-author David Brown is wrong?

Why would anyone write a co author a commentary and disagree with it?

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. prophecy70

prophecy70 Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

I wonder if there is any Greek speaking Catholics in the world. Must not be, because one they get that degree in Greek, should all be clear.

I wonder if there is any Hebrew Speaking Jews around as well, because knowing the language of the OT, should point them right to Christ.

You seem to have quite a bit of pet peeves. :)

#60 prophecy70, Oct 23, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.