1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Christology and Preterism Part 2

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by prophecy70, Oct 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. prophecy70

prophecy70 Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I have not heard good arguments in favor of something else, You probably could Teach me a wealth of information that I do not know, This is do not doubt.

2. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Possible places in Matthew alone include: 3:7 (definitely, in light of v. 9), 12:34 & 41-42, 23:33 & 36, and of course 24:34.

The disciples of Jesus, of course.
    Disciples in the Tribulation period. Obviously you've never lived in the mountains. Ancient times or modern times, there are many more places to hide than on the plain.

Why in the world would it not matter? I don't see a difference here either between modern and ancient times. And you must have never lived in a cold place. The cold makes it difficult to flee in times ancient and modern.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Covenanter

Covenanter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you. I understand perfectly now. Translation is a matter of rendering the original language into English in accordance with the meaning we want to convey, according to the translator's interpretation of the context.

I used to think translation was rendering the original language into sensible English before interpretation. That, of course, is why we have discussion about interpretation.

I'm happy to have helped you in guiding you to the actual Greek word we've been discussing. I'd hate you to have gone on thinking "genos has been wrongly translated as generation."

4. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, most times interpretation through exegesis must be part of the translation effort. If the translator doesn't understand the passage, how can he translate it correctly? It is a myth that translation can take place without interpretation. For just one example of many, exegeting John 1:1 correctly according to the original grammar gives us the correct translation as opposed to the Watchtower version.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The trick is to interpret any scripture well enough to give across what the original and intended meaning, but without adding that that ones own understanding in addition!

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. prophecy70

prophecy70 Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
  7. prophecy70

prophecy70 Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    How could you escape the second coming and why would anyone want to?

This is clearly a reference to the destruction of Jerusalem, Im not fleeing to Judea anytime soon.

Live somewhere cold? I live in upstate NY, average 5-6 feet snow a year! :Biggrin

• Like Like x 1
  8. prophecy70

prophecy70 Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Matthew 3:7 Doesn't have the word Genea in it .
    Neither does 12:34
    nor 23:33

And I don't see how anything other then the present generation is implied in the other verses.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, you are right, the word in those verses is gennema, from the same root. Mea culpa. I think I can blame it on my search engine. Confused

As for the other verses, give me reasons for your disagreement. In particular, it is very clear to me that 12:41-42 is talking about race in the genea sense, for which we have not complete equivalence English word. The Jews and Ninevites and Ethiopians were different races, period and end of story.

#149 John of Japan, Oct 26, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
  10. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, the context is clearly the abomination of desolation, which the Antichrist will accomplish. You are entirely free to disagree about the Antichrist, but what you can't do is fault me for my interpretation, which is literal. To deny the coming of the Antichrist, you must interpret allegorically.
    Then you should know what it's like to flee in winter. As for us, we're in WI, but we lived in Asahikawa, Hokkaido, Japan, for many years. Our town got about 20 feet of snow a year. NY is wimpy. :rolleyes:

#150 John of Japan, Oct 26, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
  11. prophecy70

prophecy70 Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    To deny is the antichrist is a more natural interpretation. You need to add a 2000 year gap in a prophecy of 490 years. And then, bring that into Matthew 24 ignoring the parallel chapter in Luke.

Jerusalem surrounded by armies.

Matthew 12:41
    "The men of Nineveh will stand up with this generation at the judgment, and will condemn it because they repented at the preaching of Jonah; and behold, something greater than Jonah is here.

The men of Nineveh will stand up with "Current Generation" Because the People at Nineveh repented Over Jonah And the Current Generation "Then some of the scribes and Pharisees said to Him......(Matthew 12:38) does not repent over something greater then Jonah (Christ)

Same with Verse 42.

The whole point here is the current generation, not some timeless meaning of the "Race of jews" rejecting Christ.

Only ONE generation rejected the actual living Christ. The generation he came to earth to!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. prophecy70

prophecy70 Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Give me one literal verse, of a future antichrist sitting in a rebuilt temple for 7 years.

whats more literal?

daniel 9:24
    "Seventy 'sevens' are decreed for your people and your holy city to finish transgression, to put an end to sin, to atone for wickedness, to bring in everlasting righteousness, to seal up vision and prophecy and to anoint the Most Holy Place.

490 years or 2490++++++ years.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Six Hour Warning
    This thread will be closed sometime after 1:30 AM Pacific.

14. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The "you" is whoever sees or is part of those events. remember, when speaking those words, Jesus said, "LET THE READER UNDERSTAND".

It still matters quite a bit, even today. Case in point: The "island-hopping" campaign of WW2. The Allies bypassed many enemy outposts they didn't consider it essential to neutralize. Same for the recent wars. While Mosul was conquered, several nearby towns were untouched as, while being occupied by the enemy, no hostile activity was coming from them.

And remember, activity in the Jewish-controlled areas of Jerusalem is greatly restricted on the Sabbath.

15. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rev. 13:5 And he was given a mouth speaking great things and blasphemies, and he was given authority to continue for forty-two months.

16. prophecy70

prophecy70 Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    In no way what so ever is that a literal verse. Try again.

17. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    This thread is closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.