1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Christology and Preterism

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by John of Japan, Oct 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    One argument used previously here on the BB for a spiritual coming of Christ in AD 70 was that in Col. 3:5 it says, "5 For though I be absent in the flesh, yet am I with you in the spirit, joying and beholding your order, and the stedfastness of your faith in Christ." So the thought was, "Look, Paul was in their church in his spirit, so this is a real thing."

First of all, the use of "in the spirit" here is an idiom, which is an expression in which the actual meaning of the expression is not the same as the literal meaning. An idiom is commonly accepted among linguists just as I described it, and is not therefore a window into interpreting the Bible literally.

At any rate, this idiom does not mean that Paul wandered over to Colossae in his spirit while his body lingered back home. That would be what the New Agers call an "out of body experience," and is certainly not a Christian concept. Remember again James 2:26, "the body without the spirit is dead." The "out of body" experience is pagan, not Christian. Christ did not come "spiritually" or physically in AD 70.

2. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My dad was Pennsylvania Dutch, and we had an andiron on the wall that said, "We get too soon old, and too late smart." ;)

• Like Like x 2
  3. David Kent

David Kent Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not entirely sure what you believe John, could you enlighten me, please?

4. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    To which do you object?

HankD

5. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's a pretty broad question, but I'll see if I can satisfy you with some broad answers. My background is fundamental independent Baptist. My hermeneutic is grammatical-historical. My theology is revised dispensationalist.

In regards to the OP, I am premil and pretrib, and strongly oppose preterism as being non-orthodox. I oppose less strongly the amil position, and recognize its genesis in allegorical interpretation.

6. David Kent

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Futurist? oh I see another [Name calling edited] interpretation.

#86 David Kent, Oct 19, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2017
  7. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Um, no, not in any way, shape or form. You're still barking up the wrong tree.

8. David Kent

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My first question would be:

In Matthew 23:32
    Jesus said Fill ye up then the measure of your fathers.

Did they?

9. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    They killed Christ. And all of the Twelve save one.

10. David Kent

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Clarence Larkin is beloved by many dispies, The charts in his book Dispesational Truth are often quoted and printed.

I found the book on the Blue Letter Bible

Here is an extract from it which I have emphasised.

The "Futurist School" interprets the language of the Apocalypse "literally," except such symbols as are named as such, and holds that the whole of the Book, from the end of the third chapter, is yet "future" and unfulfilled, and that the greater part of the Book, from the beginning of chapter six to the end of chapter nineteen, describes what shall come to pass during the last week of "Daniel's Seventy Weeks." This view, while it dates in modern times only from the close of the Sixteenth Century, is really the most ancient of the three. It was held in many of its prominent features by the primitive Fathers of the Church, and is one of the early interpretations of scripture truth that sunk into oblivion with the growth of Papacy, and that has been restored to the Church in these last times. In its present form it may be said to have originated at the end of the Sixteenth Century with the Jesuit Ribera, who, actuated by the same motive as the Jesuit Alcazar, sought to rid the Papacy of the stigma of being called the "Antichrist," and so referred the prophecies of the Apocalypse to the distant future. This view was accepted by the Roman Catholic Church and was for a long time confined to it, but, strange to say, it has wonderfully revived since the beginning of the Nineteenth Century, and that among Protestants. It is the most largely accepted of the three views. It has been charged with ignoring the Papal and Mohammedan systems, but this is far from the truth, for it looks upon them as foreshadowed in the scriptures, and sees in them the "Type" of those great "Anti-Types" yet future, the "Beast" and the "False Prophet." The "Futurist" interpretation of scripture is the one employed in this book.

11. David Kent

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is that a YES?

12. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you are talking to me, you realize that's a metaphor, right? And yes they did.

But please don't continue trying to derail the thread.

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. Covenanter

Covenanter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sorry this is off topic - it may need a new thread to develop it further.

The fundamental 5 are stated in Scripture & provable by Scripture. As statements of doctrine, the others are not taught in Scripture & cannot be proved by Scripture.

I have no problem with the KJV, but its language is becoming increasing difficult to the rising generation. Modern translations are easier to read & more likely to be read & understood. We all need help with understanding & interpretation, so finding fault with translation & omissions is unlikely to lead to error.

"Israel and the church are completely separate entities" is a loaded statement that has its raison d'etre in the heretical teaching that God has two separate people, earthly & heavenly, with 2 covenants & 2 futures. It can be argued from Scripture, making the OC prophecy stand apart from NC rather than fulfilled by Christ & the Church, the Church comprise Jew & Gentile as one redeemed people of God.

"The evils of the Pope and Romanism" we would all agree on, but not because it is taught in Scripture, nor because Rome disagrees with the 5 fundamentals - it holds them. The whole RC setup & salvation teaching is contrary to Scripture.

"The dangers of the Charismatic/Latter Rain movements" again are not taught in Scripture. They may hold the 5 fundamental, & may hold 3 of the others. There may be dangers, but what makes them heretical. Many of us have cautious fellowship with such, as long as they do hold the first five.

Many more dangerous heretical sects exist that reject the 5 fundamentals.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    OK generally speaking i would agree that the 5 at the end of the piece are not in the same line of thought as the traditional.
    The KJV IMO is the preserved word of God the same as other English translations e.g. ASV, NIV, RSV...

"Israel and the church are completely separate entities" The most obvious proof is the one you acknowledge - the two covenants. one was for Israel as a nation, the other for ALL the church. the place of worship for Israel was the temple and the synagogue, one no longer exists but the other does. We don't go to a synagogue to worship.

Wrong - the RCC does not hold to the full 5 fundamentals:

The substitutionary, atoning work of Christ on the cross - The RCC adds many personages and elements to the gospel, Mary (co-redemptrix with Christ), the Pope (Vicar of Christ on earth) - deny either (and many other RCC dogma) and you are excommunicated.

The physical resurrection and the personal bodily return of Christ to the earth - as a cradle Catholic - I was NEVER taught this complete doctrine which includes His bodily return, not in Catholic school or catechism. admittedly this was prior to Vatican II.

"The dangers of the Charismatic/Latter Rain movements" - The revelation is complete we need no added scripture (word of Knowledge).

I do agree that these should be distinct from the Traditional 5 Fundamentals.

HankD

• Like Like x 1
  15. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    That depends on which Israel you are talking about.

National (unbelieving) Israel is completely separate from the churches.

Spiritual (believing) Israel is what the churches are engrafted into.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. David Kent

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But there will never be a future for Israel apart from believing Israel.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is why I would rather say they are distinct from one another but not separate.

I had an apple tree in Maine of which someone had grafted a second kind of apple into.

They were distinct bearing their own fruit but not separate.

HankD

• Like Like x 1
  18. David Kent

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think you have just proved my point, They are grafted onto one stock, but the rootstock is different still.

I have a mirabelle that has two varieties One is yellow and the other is red.

You can get a tree with a peach, a nectarine and an apricot all grafted on to one stock.

You can get a "Traffic light" apple tree which is an upright cordon with red at the top, yellow in the centre and green apples at the bottom.

You can also get family apple trees with several varieties on one tree.

But they are all one tree.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Agreed.

But the grafts are distinctly different.

HankD

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.