1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Christ's Death

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by JonC, Mar 3, 2023.

1. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    See my post #92 above.

2. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    for what the law was not able to do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God, His own Son having sent in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, did condemn the sin in the flesh, [dative, if relative] Rom 8:3
    because also Christ once for sin did suffer -- righteous for unrighteous -- that he might lead us to God, having been put to death indeed, in the flesh [dative, if relative], and having been made alive in the spirit, 1 Peter 3:18

I think my question to the OP is Rom 8:3 begins by saying there is condemnation to those in Christ Jesus yet the sin was condemned in the flesh of Christ. Isn't the word condemn penal in nature?

@JonC

3. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The word "condemned" itself is not. The penal part would be the exercise of punitive judgment on the condemned.

One can view the wages of sin being death as a penality. But then again, a penality is not necessarily a punishment.

That said, Scripture says that the consequences (the wages) of sin is death and then the Judgment. At the Judgment the wicked will experience what ai believe to be punishment.

4. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Please answer the following question: What was completed ["were . . . accomplished" "It is finished"] before Christ had phyisically died?

5. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have the understanding Christ's death was two deaths. His soul for our atonement per Isaiah 53:10 and Isaiah 53:12. And His physical death for His resurrection, 1 Corinthians 15:17, Romans 4:25.

6. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Christ's ministry (His obedience to death, even the death on a cross) was accomplished and it was time to commit His Spirit into the hands of the Father.

Scripture tells us this. He was fulfilling the OT (that is why He said "I thirst").

The Atonement (Reconciliation) necessitated Christ's death on a Roman Cross. We do not have a deathless Atonement.