1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Church directory issue escalates in Texas

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Revmitchell, Feb 15, 2008.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    FORT WORTH, Texas (BP)--Ongoing conflict in Broadway Baptist Church in Fort Worth, Texas, has intensified, with 162 church members petitioning the congregation's deacon board for a meeting to vote on terminating senior minister Brett Younger.

http://www.bpnews.net/BPnews.asp?ID=27428

2. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How disappointing that it has come to this. This church would be much better off if they'd simply respect the (only) biblical stance...that the homosexual lifestyle is sinful and is not acceptable for the Christian.

3. dan e.

dan e. New Member

I agree. It is completely unbiblical to accept any homosexuals that are actively engaged in their lifestyle as members. I understand wanting to reach them, and welcome them, in order to help them turn from sin, just as you would any other sinner. However, this is crossing the line.

Yet, I think just as big an issue as this...WHO THE HECK USES DIRECTORIES ANYMORE?!

4. BroTom64

BroTom64 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Welcoming verses Affirming

http://www.bpnews.net/BPnews.asp?ID=27428
    From the Article: "Broadway Baptist Church had maintained an uneasy truce on the issue of homosexuality by "welcoming" gays into membership and even leadership roles, without "affirming" homosexuality as an acceptable lifestyle, according to news reports. Younger's critics feel he is moving the church toward an "affirming" position on homosexuality and take issue with his inviting liberal theologian Marcus Borg to preach at the church."

Maybe it's just me, but welcoming all people to attend, hear and respond to the Gospel is one thing. Accepting non-repentant sinners as Members and into Leadership positions to me is equal to affirming the sin. We need to remember, Jesus' first sermon was Repent.

Mark 1:14 ΒΆ Now after that John was put in prison, Jesus came into Galilee, preaching the gospel of the kingdom of God,
    15 And saying, The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand: repent ye, and believe the gospel.

Tom

5. Joseph M. Smith

Joseph M. Smith New Member

There is much more to this story than the church directory question and whether gays are welcomed, etc. This is about pastoral style, to a degree, but more about concepts of power and entitlement that people bring to church with them.

I cannot see anything good coming from this, other than that Pastor Younger, by all accounts an engaging preacher and writer, may be picked up by some other church where power plays are not part of its history.

6. donnA

donnA Active Member

Accepting homosexual members is affriming homosexuality.

7. donnA

donnA Active Member

Or a church who welcomes homosexuality and sinful lifestyles.

8. rbell

rbell Active Member

Wow. I guess I saw this coming a looooooong time ago...

Back in the dark ages when I was a seminary student in Fort Worth, the mission church I was a member of (and on staff, though volunteer) had some serious run-ins with Broadway. (It was not on issues of sexuality...but rather of control, and of attitude). It escalated into a pretty humiliating encounter when a professor (a member at that church) publicly berated my church, me, and that church's pastor...in front of the class. (I was proud of myself...I didn't lower my self to Dr. shall-be-unnamed's level, but it was tough! :saint: :laugh: ). Let's just say I wouldn't be a member there. Ever...even if they were fully Biblical on the gay issue.

But hey...if they took a biblical stand on homosexuality, they wouldn't have the world-class pipe organ they have. 'nuff said.

9. Justlittleoldme

Justlittleoldme New Member

????

The article said,
    "Broadway Baptist Church had maintained an uneasy truce on the issue of homosexuality by "welcoming" gays into membership and even leadership roles, without "affirming" homosexuality as an acceptable lifestyle, according to news reports."

Where were these 170 something people when THIS was going on?
    Would they have allowed a an active prostitute, a drunkard, or a drug addict into membership and leadership roles too? So they don't want their picture in the directory because.....It might remind them of the sin they have turned a blind eye to????

10. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What sayeth the Scripture?

1 Corinthians 5:11 But now I have written unto you not to keep company, if any man that is called a brother be a fornicator, or covetous, or an idolater, or a railer, or a drunkard, or an extortioner; with such an one no not to eat.

11. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Huh, their name pretty much says it all. Broad Way.

For broad is the way that leads unto destruction.

Some folks just don't read real well. :(

12. rbell

rbell Active Member

Broadway Baptist is known for more than anything else, its world-class pipe organ. Internationally renowned pianist Van Cliburn pretty much bankrolled the multi-million dollar instrument (that took TWO YEARS to build). The organ is named after Cliburn's mother.

And (drum roll)....Cliburn is, well, not straight.

So you see they've put themselves in this mess for a while....

13. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

Well, at least this discussion has led us all to agree that repentance and a changed life style is necessary for salvation. Right?

14. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Broadway is the name of the street where the church meets.

15. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A transformed lifestyle is evidence of salvation. How can one truly have an experience with God and the indwelling of the Holy Spirit without at least the desire to live a transformed life?

16. spiersdodgerblue

spiersdodgerblue New Member

I think the whole thing is sad and sick as sin is, and I would personally not stay in this church. I would find a bible believing church for my family to make a home in.

17. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Let's keep in mind that the church hasn't made a decision either way yet. They're still working out the issue and may eventually do the right thing in the end. I'm no fan of Broadway, but I do know a number of current and former members there and a number of them are good people who are walking a tightrope when it comes to ministering to the rejected people in our community. I can't fault their desire to love and minister to homosexuals, but I think some folks are stepping over the line in their desire to receive sinners like Jesus did.

#17 Baptist Believer, Feb 16, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2008
  18. Joseph M. Smith

Joseph M. Smith New Member

I have to say again that the present issue, as I read about it and hear about it from contacts within Broadway church, is much larger than the church directory and even whether the church has taken the right stance toward homosexuality. Like many of you, I could not in good conscience be a part of an "affirming" approach, if that means, as it seems to, condoning and even elevating such a lifestyle. But, one more time, there are many things involved here.

Have we not all learned that nothing is quite as simple or direct as the press reports it to be?

19. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's an easy trap to fall into, if you aren't careful. It's easy to get wrapped up in the truth that God loves us in our present state (Rom. 5:8), neglecting the other truth that he loves us too much to leave us that way (1 Cor. 6).

20. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Well amen to that Brother Smith!

And it is certainly easy for those of us outside a ministry to pick it apart. I'm sure this ministry has problems because all of our ministries do. Please note that I am in no way condoning homosexuality or the bringing of homosexuals into the church to enter leadership positions. BUT there are legitimate ministries out there focused on various lifestyles that some of us wouldn't touch with a ten-foot pole. Any church entering into one of those ministries has immediately opened themselves up to all kinds of trouble just because of the nature of the kind of people they are reaching for Jesus. I don't know if this is any part of the case here. I do know that the larger the church, the bigger the personality of the preacher, the more problems seem to occur naturally.