1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Church Doesn't want to use the word Decon

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by hawg_427, Sep 18, 2006.

1. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just what is the function of a deacon according to Scripture?
    The Scripture give the qualifications for a deacon but not the function! (1 Timothy 3:8-13)

IMHO there is great latitude as to the role of a deacon.

Deacons can humbly serve the church as waiters (or ushers)
    ...or they can serve the church body as managers of others (as a board member).

Each church body should use deacons as they deem fit.

I do not understand why some churches would eliminate the position.

Rob

2. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I prefer pastor and deacon as well.

As I expressed before, I think terms like these should be treated consistently.
    If you use the latin-derived deacon, use the similarly derived pastor, presbyter, and bishop.
    If you use the common English word servant, use the common shepherd, elder, and overseer.

Overseer, unfortunately has bad connotations as well from its use in slavery.

When other churches misuse biblical terms, rather than abandoning those terms, we should expose the error and insist on proper use.

3. Bro. James Reed

Bro. James Reed New Member

You got that right!

It seems that many people in Baptist circles dropped the term "Elder" in favor of "Reverend". I'll never understand why men would drop a biblical term for the ministry and replace it with a word that is used in the bible solely as a term for God.

As far as Primitives go, we have Elders and Deacons. An Elder is any brother who preaches tha gospel and has had hands laid on him by a presbytery. A Deacon is any brother who has been set aside by the church, is fulfilling the duties as a servant of the church, and has had hands laid on him by a presbytery.

We also, typically, make a minor distinction between Elders and Pastors. While all Elders fit the description I gave above, the Pastor is an Elder who acts as the Moderator of the church and is, basically, the lead Elder. Many churches have several Elders in the congregation, but they have one serve as Pastor, or two as co-pastors, or one and Pastor and one as Assistant Pastor, and so forth. We have 2 Elders in our church membership. One is the Pastor.

I am a little puzzled why a church would want to shy away from biblical terms such as these. We have a Board of Trustees, but our Rules of Decorum call for the Deacons to act as the Trustees.