1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Church dogmas, church doctines

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Linda Davis, Apr 29, 2017.

1. Linda Davis

Linda Davis New Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Have you ever felt when caught up in discussions of church dogmas and doctrine that we have reverted back to the tabernacle dynamic where man is separated from the God and only the high priest can draw near to the God of the universe?
    As we read the Word of God it is exciting to understand that the New Testament church is invited to enter into a new and living way a relationship where we can enter into His presence with thanksgiving and praise and worship because Jesus has fulfilled his promises.

2. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, I haven't. If you have, perhaps you should find another church?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Linda Davis

Linda Davis New Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I really wasn't referring to a church. I was speaking of general conversation.
    I certainly wouldn't attend that was fixated on doctrine and dogma.

4. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I prefer a church that has a strong emphasis on doctrine (teaching) and practice (putting teaching in action). I have been a member of church that emphasized teaching with little application and it made the church arrogant and cold. I have been a member of a church that was all about practice and didn't put much emphasis on teaching, so we did a lot of things rather aimlessly and ineffectively.

It's often hard to find the balance.

Back to your original comment, there are plenty of churches where leadership exercises authority as if they are the mediators of God's grace and favor, instead of that grace and favor coming from Christ. In Baptist churches, the membership is a priesthood of persons accountable to God and each other for ministry, not just to priests or pastors.

It sounds like you have the right perspective on that aspect of Christian life.

5. Linda Davis

Linda Davis New Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you for your kind comment about my perspective.

I pray that God keep my focus on Jesus as I try to follow his example. His teachings were not filled with church dogma or laden with cumbersome doctrines but brought life, love, and the forgiveness we all needed.

6. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

7. Linda Davis

Linda Davis New Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I guess it depends on your definition of church doctrine.

8. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Hello Linda,
    God has given pastors and teachers to the church....this implies, teaching or doctrine;
    11 And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;

12 For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:

13 Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:

14 That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;

15 But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ:

Doctrine protects the saints, we are on the same page...we agree so the shepherd can watch out for false teachers trying to come in.
    We are called for a purpose...God's purpose.
    And to make all men see what is the fellowship of the mystery, which from the beginning of the world hath been hid in God, who created all things by Jesus Christ:

10 To the intent that now unto the principalities and powers in heavenly places might be known by the church the manifold wisdom of God,

11 According to the eternal purpose which he purposed in Christ Jesus our Lord:

9. Linda Davis

Linda Davis New Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The truth Paul was talking about was Bible doctrine not church doctrine. Many churches adhere to Bible doctrine alone. While many other churches establish church doctrines that are not biblical. This is what I mean when I refer to church doctrine that is unbiblical.

10. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just curious. How do you mean "unbiblical" church doctrine Linda?

Being Baptists we all (presumably) believe the doctrine of the Trinity which apart from 1 John 5:7 (a disputed passage) and Matthew 28:19 is not found in the bible as a singular subject and must be distilled from the overall text itself.

It was after several centuries of dispute before the acceptance of the doctrine of the Trinity and even then it was not "universally" accepted. Athanasius (an Alexandrian; AD296-AD373) was the champion of Trinitarianism. Other related dogma; the Hypostatic Union, the Kenosis...

Can you give a n example of an unbiblical church doctrine?

HankD

11. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think it depends on the doctrine and dogma (the teachings) as it is through doctrine that we know God. In other words, when our relationship with Jesus departs from God as He has revealed Himself in Scripture (doctrine) then our relationship is really with a god of our making.

But I have seen people caught up in dogma to the point that don’t seem to realize the difference between knowing about Jesus and knowing Him.

12. Linda Davis

Linda Davis New Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Many, even baptists, are unaware that unbiblical doctrine even exists. I was basically referring to any denomination that follows unbiblical doctrine. i.e.: transubstantiation, canonizing saints, Mary and Saint worship just to name a few. There are certainly many more examples.

13. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    and even within Baptist circles - there are disagreements - closed communion -, Calvinist vs Arminian,
    Tithing vs grace giving, Some will say that CCM is of the Devil, some believe in total Pastoral control, Urgency of baptism -

Just look at the discussions here on Baptist Board...... When there are ten Baptists- you have at least a dozen opinions.

14. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you for that clarification Linda.

Being a former cradle Catholic I wholeheartedly agree that Church Tradition dogma is to be avoided.

HankD

15. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I disagree, in my opinion when there are 10 Baptists there are at least15 opinions :Roflmao.

HankD

• Like Like x 1
  16. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree and I disagree. So there are my two opinions! :Biggrin

17. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith: