1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured "Church English"...

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by robycop3, Oct 20, 2021.

1. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    While recently talking face-to-face with a believer of the KJVO myth, he told me the KJV was written in "Church English" & no newer verion was. I explained to him that, years beore the internet came along, I had sent letters to several English professors asking about that very thing, & all who answered assured me THERE'S NO SUCH THING as "Church English". The KJV was written in mostly the same English as was used every day by the British of the time, as were the versions that preceded it.

Wycliffe's version was in the everyday English of the 1380s, as was Tyndale's of the 1530s & so on.

I don't know who invented the "Church English" theory, but it's FALSE.

2. RipponRedeaux

RipponRedeaux Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The KJV was put into antiquated English. Folks in 1611 didn't speak that way. It used language that was about 75 years old. It was not put into the language of the people of the time. The revisers tried to fancy-it-up. The word 'you' had replaced the old-fashioned 'thou' in ordinary conversation. The same thing applied to the older word 'ye.' The th endings had phased out and replaced with the s. So it was no longer 'hath' but 'has.' The word 'thereof' was not in common usage, but 'its' was.
    I compare the KJV to the ESV. Just as the language of the KJV was not the language of early 17th century English --neither is the English of the ESV used by 21st century native English speakers. The ESV came out in the 21st century, but used a form of English that uses an uncommon style. Perhaps no one spoke as the ESV words its translation.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But just as we understand Civil War English, the british of 1611m understood the KJV's English.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. RipponRedeaux

Faith:
    Baptist
    You had said that the KJV used everyday English, and I countered that sentiment with facts.

And to the point of "Church English" the KJV, ESV, NKJ etc. use biblish. And I object to that.

5. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't think there's any such thing. It's simply the way the best translations, in the translators' opinions, come out.

6. Michael Hollner

Michael Hollner Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    'THERE'S NO SUCH THING as "Chur
    'HERE'S NO SUCH THING as "Church English"'

Once again, we agree. The KJV English is very unique and its share verbal effusiveness and its profound emotional expressions make it a Bible like no other. Its effervescence, energetic, and poetic language sounds off as a well-orchestrated symphony.

The King James Bible: The Monarch of all Books! (kjvdebate.com)

Blessings......

7. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thing is, it's not the most-accurate English bible translation. To me, ACCURACY matters more than anything.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    John 6:47 ". . . in Me . . . ." Or omitted.

9. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Most of the above is true, but there was a reason why the translators of the KJV persisted with 'thou' and 'ye' etc. It distinguished between singular and plural, which is actually very helpful when it comes to verses like Luke 22:31 and John 3:7. The KJV was written at a time when literacy rates were lower than they are today and therefore it was made to be read aloud, more than today's versions are, so footnotes were not particularly helpful.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Conan

Conan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Perhaps you should read what the KJV translators said in their preface.

Reasons Moving Us To Set Diversity of Senses in the Margin, where there is Great Probability for Each

The Translators to the Reader

. Therefore as S. Augustine saith, that variety of Translations is profitable for the finding out of the sense of the Scriptures: so diversity of signification and sense in the margin, where the text is no so clear, must needs do good, yea, is necessary, as we are persuaded

11. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The AV 1611 is full of footnotes. They should've been included, along with the preface, in later KJV editions.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. Logos1560

Logos1560 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Instead of engaging in any serious discussion, you provide a link to your unreliable book that advocates human, non-scriptural KJV-only reasoning/teaching.

The KJV is the word of God translated into English in the same sense as the pre-1611 English Bibles of which it was a revision are. It retains much of their 1500's English although it added some Latin-based words borrowed from the 1582 Roman Catholic Rheims New Testament. The KJV is not unique. It is a Bible translation in the same sense as other English Bibles are.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. RipponRedeaux

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here is something that KJVO advocates must come to grips with. It's the King James Version. It is among other versions. It is not The one-of-a-kind, definitive, that settles it, translation that was lowered from the heavens. There was no voice from Heaven saying "This is my beloved. There is no other written translation that can hope to compare with it. I have spoken."

• Winner Winner x 2
  14. Logos1560

Logos1560 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are you sure? Can you provide sound documented evidence for your claim?

How is KJV English unique when most of it was borrowed or kept from 1500's English Bible translations?

Other English Bible translations had the same 1500's English.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The supreme irony to me is that the 1611 Kjv team would have seen seen their finished product as being KJVO!

16. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Kjv itself was just a revision of earlier prior English translation, so were not all of those also to be seen as legit bible versions?

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They also had marginal variants and the Apocrapha!

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They use more formal and theological terms, that is true!

19. RipponRedeaux

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, that's not what I meant by 'biblish.' I've made a number of threads regarding the ESV. It uses a lot of biblish. Ungainly, awkward grammar is used a great deal of the time. A non-biblish translation uses a more natural sounding form of English.

20. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The esv is a good balance between being too formal, and too much "normal english"