1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Church leaving Episcopal Diocese

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Salty, Jun 9, 2011.

1. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    Depends on whose Encyclopaedia one uses. Anabaptist is a catch-all term of derision given to most any group not bowing to Rome--and later Wittenburg and Geneva, probably Canterbury is in there too. There was a church on the Mayflower, 1620, fleeing Canterbury(the King in KJV), the pilgrims having found little respite in Holland. Curiously, these folk had Geneva Bibles. Very interesting.

This is about a faith and practice which precedes Jude 3 all the way back to the shores of Galilee. "Come, follow me; I will make you fishers of men"; also,"I will never leave you nor forsake you".

Jesus has kept His promises.

What have we done with His Assembly?

Even so come Lord Jesus.

Peace,

Bro. James

#21 Bro. James, Jun 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2011
  2. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Depends whether you take church history seriously or not.

3. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not sure you made a valid point, Matthew.

This is from another thread--the one called: Church Budget Unavailable. Please describe the British equivalent of the USAs-- LLC, Limited Liability Company.

Thank-you,

Bro. James

#23 Bro. James, Jun 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2011
  4. Matt Black

Site Supporter

Sorry, I have no idea what you're talking about; what is the relevance of the other thread?

5. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

I wondered the same thing, Matt. The only thing that comes to mind by way of possible explaination is that because you and I are both in the UK, Bro. James was confusing you with me. On the other thread, he had mentioned churches slipping away from Jesus Christ and becoming LLCs, and I questioned this, not least because I didn't know what an LLC was.

6. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

I'm no expert on UK company law, but I would think the equivalent here is called a Limited Company. You will often see company names such as Hill & Smith Ltd., where Ltd stands for "Limited".

But perhaps any further discussion on this matter belongs on the other thread.

7. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

Except that Anabaptist theology was almost completely the opposite of Zwinglian state-churchism. Anabaptist spirituality had more in common with eastern Christianity than either Romanism or Magisterial Protestantism.

8. Matt Black

Site Supporter

Certainly the ecclesiology of the Radical Reformation was very different from that of the Magisterial. I'm intrigued by your comment though that their spirituality had much in common with the Orthodox - care to elaborate?

9. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes...a matter for lawyers & tax accountants.

10. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I never saw that from the Mennonites in my area. They follow the Roman Calendar & Menno Simons was a Roman Catholic Priest during the Roman Empire. Russian & Greek Orthodox (I have family in those churches from Slovakia) are very High Church & mystical in their presentations & church services. While RC's (I was one for 32 years) have High Masses, Incense & some things very much like their Eastern Orthodox Counterparts there are subtle differences. East is east & West is west. You almost have to come from it to understand the subtleties.

11. Matt Black

Site Supporter

Small point - I think Menno Simons post-dates the Roman Empire by over 1000 years.

#31 Matt Black, Jun 17, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2011
  12. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Big point if Father Simons modeled the structure after the RC's. My point is there is a decidedly Catholic approach to services in the local Mennonite church near me vs a puritanical approach of a Presbyterian or Baptist

OK .... Holy Roman Empire (Middle Ages)

#32 Earth Wind and Fire, Jun 17, 2011
  13. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Yes this is true. Though in my study of the Ana-Baptist I see no correlation with Eastern Orthodoxy save for Anti-Romanism.

14. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree....I see them doing their own thing today....Im just referring to evolution. The Mennonites are also a little less strict I think than the Strict Amish out in Harrisburg Im thinking though I am not an expert. I would imagine today their all anti roman.

15. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    To hear them speak they're anti-English. They speak about the English like the Jew do about the Gentiles. The Amish that is. Though the mennonites in some respects are very like the Baptist. Except I find it interesting that their off shoot the Bretheren aren't as dogmatic.

#35 Thinkingstuff, Jun 17, 2011
  16. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here is what bothers me about the Amish in particular. The spend a lot of time telling you & I that their worldview is about being plain but then when they start businesses for the "English" outside world they become very worldly. Take for example this Hand Built Shed/Barn/ swing set stuff they petal to people out here in New Jersey. They all carry cellphones to manage the business but could not give a phone to a school teacher educating their kids in a schoolhouse. What if a kid has an asthma attack or needs immediate medical attention. Then its verboten to have one....what hypocrites.

17. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Hahahahaha! Very like the Jews that way! I was traveling up through the State College Area and went into a Burger King to get some coffee and every booth was filled by these Amish guys eating their breakfast before going to work for the English most likely. Not one buggy was tied up outside so their "English" Friends must have drove them there. My friend said "I thought their wives got the eggs from the Hen house and slaughtered the pig for breakfast. I had no idea." LOL!

18. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yea their good to animals as well(sarcasm). My wife's involved with taking care of homeless & abused animals (from dogs, to mules, horses etc) ....worst abuse is among the Amish. Since the animal has no soul it's OK to beat, starve & otherwise abuse them (they just exist for profit)!

But come to the Kutztown Festival (June 2 to 10) and see them live & in person...LOL Maybe buy a handmade quilt..... more phony nonsense.

19. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

Well, first I should say that I don't restrict "eastern Christianity" to the Orthodox Church.

But to directly address your question: I find that in their views on God, man, human freedom, the atonement, sin, and other basic doctrines, the Anabaptists were closer to eastern Christianity than to the RCC or the Magisterial reformers. For instance, the Anabaptists didn't hold to the Lutheran/Calvinist/Augustinian concept of original sin and total depravity, and they didn't accept RCC or Protestant views of the atonement based on Anselm's Satisfaction theory.

Certainly their ecclesiology and view of the sacraments was different from the RCC, Orthodoxy, and the Magisterial Protestant reformers.

20. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member