1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Church Management

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by HAMel, Jul 14, 2017.

1. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is to request legitimate insights into the reasoning behind total control over a church exercised by some Pastor's.

I "used" to belong to a church where the Pastor was a fabulous preacher and teacher. I gleaned much from him and really enjoyed attending each service. The issue is that said pastor is a One Man Band. He played the piano for each song; he lead the "9" member choir; he would decide when the membership would gather for meals on the grounds and determine the justification for said gatherings, etc., and in short he made ALL the decisions.

On three separate occasions I approached him asking that I be permitted to participate. On one occasion I offered to even replace the burned out light bulbs in the men's room. Produce a Sunday Bulletin; Build a website for the church; I made it perfectly clear that I did NOT want the pulpit; did NOT want to be in charge of anything..., I just wanted to participate and contribute something for the church at large.

Nothing. Not even a response to any of my suggestions. This not only applied to me but to all the members of the church. There are many who don't want to get involved in anything and here I was desiring to participate and was refused.

The only opportunity to participate was the cleaning of the Kitchen and Fellowship Hall after any given gathering. Over the course of five years I washed a lot of pots and pans.

My request for insights here is about why, or what motivates any leader whether it be the pastor of a church or a local Sewing Bee to refuse it's own members from participating and/or contributing? Is it a fear of losing control? Ego? Self? ...what is it? ...is this kind of attitude healthy? Is there New Testament guidance on the administration of a church to this extent?

I fully understand the need to NOT turn the church over to any and all but for crying out loud..., refusing to let one change the light bulbs?

As my wife and I relinquished our membership I told him that ALL "I" had wanted was to participate and contribute.

2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    and what was the pastors response?

3. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "...and what was the pastors response?"

...nothing. There wasn't a response.

4. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    A better question is "Why did you stay there for so long?"

• Like Like x 1
  5. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The problem is that God works through the congregation (through the body of Christ He has gifted for Kingdom work). The pastor may be a great teacher and preacher, but if he is not allowing the church to function as a church (to build one another up and function as active members of a whole) then he is a poor pastor.

6. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did the church ever have business meetings

7. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Did the church ever have business meetings"

Not really. ...course, I've been in some business meetings in other churches where you had to bring your own helmet but not in this church.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sounds like the pastor was a "do-er," instead of being a "leader."

It happens in many professions.

9. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    aka - micro managment

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

We cannot know his motivation but there are some things we can know.

1. He was not shepherding his people he was controlling them.
    2. He was not discipling his people.
    3. There is no room for spiritual growth in a church where the members cannot and are not serving
    4. The church needs to have a meeting with him and discuss his leadership behavior (for lack of a better word) and work to steer him in a more biblical direction.
    5. It may take the assistance of one or more other pastors in the area to facilitate said meeting.
    If he refuses to make a change then it may be time to find another pastor who actually understand the biblical role of a pastor.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have known a few pastors like this over the years. All of them had a control over a core group that allowed them to get by with anything.
    One of the main reasons I resigned as deacon chair and left a church was because I presented irrefutable evidence the pastor had lied to me, but the majority of other deacons did not want to take any action on the matter.