1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

church on Sunday

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Dianna, Oct 13, 2006.

1. Dianna

Dianna New Member

Ok I just head something I had not ever heard before about why Christians attend church on Sunday mornings...This person said it was b/c Sunday use to be the first day of the work week, so Christians wanted to show they were putting God first so decided to start worshiping at church on Sunday morning. I have never heard this before, I thought it had to do something with the day of Pentecost. Can someone clear this up for me please. (sorry if this in the wrong borad)

Dianna

2. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

My understanding is that it's because the Lord rose on the first day of the week.
    Blessings

3. Not_hard_to_find

Site Supporter

4. Dianna

Dianna New Member

Thank you. I will check out both those links :)

Dianna

5. PASTOR MHG

PASTOR MHG New Member

It could be that this is a pattern seen developing in the scripture...

1Co 16:1
    Now concerning the collection for the saints, as I have given order to the churches of Galatia, even so do ye.
    1Co 16:2 Upon the first day of the week let every one of you lay by him in store, as God hath prospered him, that there be no gatherings when I come.

Act 20:7 And upon the first day of the week, when the disciples came together to break bread, Paul preached unto them, ready to depart on the morrow; and continued his speech until midnight.

However, I know that the early church met daily. That being said, there is know Scriptural support for a mandatory Sunday worship service... In fact, I have missionary friends in communist China, that purposely do not meet on Sunday as to not draw attention to their "illegal" meetings. A Sunday meeting would be a flag they do not need to wave.

JMO

Max