1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Church planting and "house church"

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Berean, Feb 17, 2009.

1. Berean

Berean Member
    Site Supporter

At the suggestion of a fellow church member i have been reading some of Frank Violas material especially Pagan Christianity. I have found some interesting observations and although I agree with him on some things there are also some things that I don't. I cant find any information on his background. Could someone suggest a web-site where I might find more information or a bio.

2. Pastor David

Pastor David Member
    Site Supporter

I don't know where to find info about him. But I am familiar with some of Mr. Viola's teachings. I find myself disagreeing with him in some central areas as well - especially regarding church polity. Just bear in mind this distinction - there is a large difference between a church that is meeting in a house and what is commonly understood as a "house church". We're currently meeting in homes, but I make it perfectly clear to visitors that we're not affliated with any "house church movement".

3. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The house church movement is born out of rebellion against God ordained preaching and authority. They use pejoratives like "pulpiteering" and "monologueing" to describe biblical preaching. They insist that scripture can only be understood in the setting of a consensus and that no man has any business telling everyone else what scripture says.

It is very reminiscent of :

Num 16:3 And they gathered themselves together against Moses and against Aaron, and said unto them, Ye take too much upon you, seeing all the congregation are holy, every one of them, and the LORD is among them: wherefore then lift ye up yourselves above the congregation of the LORD?

4. thegospelgeek

thegospelgeek New Member

I have heard the term "House Church" and always assumed it was just a group having church in their house. Your post indicates that this is not the case. What is the distiction between the two?

5. Pastor David

Pastor David Member
    Site Supporter

Many people begin a church from their home. Christians from all cross-sections of denominations, theology, etc. may begin with a church in their home and eventaully move once the need arises into a building. In other words, their meeting in a home is a matter of expeidency.

But there is also a philosophy of church that teaches that church should be conducted in houses and along with this movement is a whole host of theological distinctives. Frank Viola's teaching falls into this category.

6. thegospelgeek

thegospelgeek New Member

Like I said I am not familiar with this at all. I guess I need to do some research.

7. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I never heard of Mr. Viola, but I went to his website.

I've developed a natural skepticism about people who use "reimagining" in a theological or ecclesiological context.