1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

CHURCH SICKNESS #1: ATTITUDINAL ANGST

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by Revmitchell, Mar 28, 2018.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Attitudinal Angst is when members are more interested in having their own desires and preferences met rather than being a serving member of the body of Christ.

Some highlights from today’s Rainer Report:

• Do your church members want things the way they’ve always been more than they want to reach new people?
    • Most short term pastors leave because church members want things their way instead of wanting to follow the leadership of the pastor.
    • A unified church in God’s power cannot be stopped.
    • Me-focused churches are rarely Great Commission or Great Commandment churches.

2. PastoralMusings

PastoralMusings Active Member

I have dealt with that much over the years. I'm in my thirteenth year at my present pastorate and have had a rough few months due to this.
    Thankfully we are seeing the changing of the guard, and I expect to see a more godly, outwardly focused church in a few years.

3. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And it only took 13 years to get there. What has the church been doing, Kingdom wise, during the last 13 years? Just curious.

4. PastoralMusings

PastoralMusings Active Member

Coasting and allowing a couple of generations of their own families to slip away.
    Sad
    I think a few more years holds potential for us to be vibrant and presenting a godly witness. God has graciously preserved a remnant.

5. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I must admit that at the moment I have attitudinal angst. I had surgery and was not at church for 4 weeks. When I went back 5 Sundays later, the pastor said "I thought about calling you." I said "don't bother."