1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Church Translation

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by alexander284, Apr 18, 2005.

1. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I got the ESV when it first came out and as far as I know, I am the only one in my church that uses it. Most use the NIV.

We do not have pew Bibles, but if we did it would probably be the NIV since that is what most of the people like best.

2. alexander284

alexander284 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wow! Other than staff, no one wears ties to church in Central California. :D

3. Keith M

Keith M New Member

Our church has no pew Bibles, and the pastor is decidedly KJVO, but he isn't militant about it. I occasionally carry another Bible version to church, but I find it is easier to follow what the pastor is reading when you use the same version he uses.

BTW, what is a tie?

4. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My church is very relaxed and "country." There are no pew Bibles, and each person uses which Bible he or she chooses. I usually preach from the NIV or the NASB, though.

5. alexander284

Faith:
    Baptist
    It certainly is easier to read OT passages in the NIV, isn't it? [​IMG]

6. mioque

mioque New Member

My church does have pew Bibles, we just recently decided to swap to a new translation. The old one having gone out of print recently after 50+ years.

7. BruceB

BruceB New Member

Our church has pew Bibles and they range from the KJV (majority), to RSV (a few), to GNT (a few)! Over the years when church members have wanted to memorialize a relative they have bought a case of Bibles or Hymnals for the church (the Hymnals are all the Baptist Hymnal) and put a "In Memory of" card inside the cover. I have been planning to suggest at a Deacons meeting that we should buy new ones (some are well worn) and be consistent in the translation. But we are currently in the process of calling a new Pastor and I think we should wait until we hire him and get his input on translation choice. My daughters church in Columbia SC projects the NASB up on a giant screen above the podium while the Pastor preaches. That is nice because everyone can follow in the translation he preaches from. Bruce

8. alexander284

Faith:
    Baptist
    What determines which translation you'll use when preaching? [​IMG]