1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Church Youth Conference Gun Giveaway

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Timsings, Jul 16, 2008.

1. guitarpreacher

guitarpreacher New Member

FWIW - There is no such thing as a semi-automatic assault rifle.

2. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

It is against Federal Law to posses a fully automatic assault rifle

A semi auto means that it will fire as fast as one can squeeze the trigger--but only one round at a time

Even in the military---the AR-15(M-16) is standard weapon---which is fully automatic---BUT---it seems to me that not long ago I read an artical in the paper which stated that at "fully automatic" the military weapon M-16 will only fire in bursts of 3 rounds per each time the trigger is squeezed---but don't quote me on that one

3. stilllearning

stilllearning Active Member

Hi guitarpreacher

Your observation was a valid one.

The press like to throw that phrase “assault rifle” around, because it gets people’s attention.

Like if you have two guns in your basement, they will say you have an arsenal in a bunker.

4. guitarpreacher

By definition an assault rifle is fully automatic. For the purposes of being able to control the weapon, you are taught to fire in three round burst. Due to the recoil, very few people can fire more than three rounds and maintain control. Rambo unloading a weapon on full auto with one hand only happens in the movies. In reality, after 5 or 6 rounds, it's pointing straight up in the air.

5. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

The problem here is not the ownership or use of guns. It's the prostitution of the gospel of Jesus Christ by using the opportunity to get a free gun to buy a hearing for the gospel.

What a shame .. .

6. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    zackly!!:thumbs:

7. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

What would you call the gun in the example? it wasn't a rifle, shotgun, or handgun.

8. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Absolutely correct.

9. North Carolina Tentmaker

I believe rifle would be the correct designation.

10. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

In NYC if someone commits a crime are are just carrying a gun they are given more time to think about it in prison. I like that law.

11. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

Did you read the TV news article? They called it:

The gun in question: an AR-15 semi-automatic assault rifle.

12. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    oh, boy.
    this discussion is like:

headline news - church gives away Bible with a hideaway for gun so the witnessing believer can defend himself when attacked.

and the discussion centers on what kind of a gun can be hidden in the hideaway. A 45 ? A derringer ? A Magnum 44 or a Beretta .380 ? What about the ammo ? Is there a place for the ammo ?

13. guitarpreacher

Doesn't make any difference whatsoever what they called it in the article. If it won't go full auto it's not an assault rifle. They could have called it a Sherman tank, that would make it so.

I looked in the story and didn't see that, but that makes me doubt the story somewhat. I seriously doubt you could find an AR-15 for anywhere close to $800.

Okay, just did some checking online and there are knock-offs for under $1,000, but not a real Colt AR-15.

14. stilllearning

Hi BaptistBeliever

You said...........
    You and I, are on the same page there:

I hope they enforce it, every time!!!
    --------------------------------------------------
    Don’t career criminals realize, that it is against the law for a convected felon, to be in possession of a firearm?

I think that they do; But they don’t care!

15. North Carolina Tentmaker

BB, you asked earlier
    The weapon in question was a rifle. An assault rifle is still a rifle, just a more specific type of rifle. It fires a single projectile (bullet) through a barrel that has rifles in the side to make the projectile spin. This allows greater range and accuracy over a smooth bore musket or shotgun. It is a rifle.

As far as wether or not it was a "real" assault rifle, Wik defines an assault rifle as:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assault_rifle

16. Joseph M. Smith

Joseph M. Smith New Member

Having just preached through the prophecy of Micah, I find myself wondering how in that church Micah's vision of a day when swords would be beaten into plowshares and spears into pruninghooks would look. Will they teach those young people the ways of peace, or will they "learn war" on and on?

17. stilllearning

Hi Joseph M. Smith

Is this the text, you are referring to........
    Well, this is a prophecy of the 1000 year, millennial reign of Christ.

And sure enough, when Christ is the leader of the world, and Saints are ruling and reigning with him, there is gong to be perfect peace safety for all(V.4).

And people will have no need, to arm themselves for self protection.

18. Joseph M. Smith

Joseph M. Smith New Member

Well, you are operating within an eschatological framework quite different from mine.

It seems to me that eschatology suggests not only what God's ultimate victory will include, but also the agenda toward which Kingdom people need to work. And therefore we have the task of teaching peacemaking today, even though we know it will not be fulfilled until ... whatever/whenever one envisions the eschaton to be.

19. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

Doesn't matter what you call it. Would you actually give it to a 13 year old kid?

20. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

An email to their web site www.whbcyouthconference.org

Hello,

I am interested in hearing more about your gun give away. I am a CHRISTIAN who lives his life like the MASTER. Please tell me what I need to do to qualify for one of your semi-automatic weapons.

I too believe the we must protect our families and our communities against the threats against our way of living. I am prepared with Bible in hand to send heathens to seethe in their cauldron of blood and blasphemy.

I am interested to learn if your congregation offers shooting and survival lessons. I am a trained wilderness instructor and will be happy to help out during your Sunday services. I can foresee a "Gunny's Minute" during your sermon. I can offer survival tips to the young members of the congregation and quote relevant scripture to bring youth to our way of life.

I am waiting anxiously to hear from you.

In Faith.

B. Loblaw Retired U.S.M.C.

I'm certain Jesus would have loved for all of his disciples to pack an AK-15. Then they could have attacked Rome.