1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured City Threatens to Arrest Ministers Who Refuse to Perform Same-Sex Weddings

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Revmitchell, Oct 18, 2014.

1. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why is it different? There are foods that have religious or ethnic connotations. If you serve one and not the other, what is to keep someone from claiming religious or ethnic discrimination. Think about the world we live in and give me an honest answer.

I know it sounds ridiculous to you. You own a restaurant. You serve what you think the customers will buy. Makes sense to me. But in today's world???

You do realize, of course that this lawsuit was a set up deal, based on a phone call by someone that probably didn't even want to get married. Most gays would honor the minister's wishes, but there's always one...

Just like in your restaurant.

At any rate, if the minister has the courage of his convictions, he will close his little business, rather than knuckle under.

2. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :laugh: I like your solution.

You'd probably get sued for that as well.

3. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is no straw man argument. If you run a business, but do not handle everything a business of that nature customarily provides based on your religious beliefs, because that involves you in something forbidden by your beliefs, either you have your rights to those beliefs or you don't. And any patron who wants something you don't provide based on that can go somewhere else.

4. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

5. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    If a church charges to use its facilities, the courts could rule that makes it a business - and thus the churches could then could be required to accommodate hom0sexuals

Don't say it couldn't happen - look what has happened in the past century - that we though would never happen.

6. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Service-oriented businesses choose what product they serve to the public.

If a business serves only hamburgers, to ask for a hotdog would be inappropriate.

Ministers of the gospel serve the Lord and perform ceremonies sanctioned by their biblical standards.

To ask for something other than that would be inappropriate.

Why would a same-s*x couple wish to perform a ceremony at an establishment that has religious objections to such a wedding
    The answer - They want to be treated the same as 'normal people' and to make the point that they can force the issue by claiming discrimination.

The minister has the opportunity to be a witness of the biblical stance - treat them the same as any couple that needs to hear the message of the gospel.

After a strong admonition in the wedding sermon, I doubt that many others would be attracted to the site.

I'd also add prenuptial counseling as a prerequisite to any wedding so they would know what they are getting into.

Rob

#66 Deacon, Oct 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2014
  7. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Ya'll I am almost certain that this whole thing is nothing but a hit job from the homosexual movement. Rather than take their business elsewhere and I am sure that there are plenty of other places that would accommodate them this business was targeted to further an agenda. It won't be too long before churches are targeted and those churches with a weak constitution and bylaws along with lax wedding policies that do not clearly state the church's stance on homosexual unions will have the most trouble dealing with the attack.

8. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

City officials in Coeur d'Alene say they have not received any formal complaints that the Hitching Post wedding chapel has violated the city's anti-discrimination ordinance by refusing to solemnize same-sex marriages.

"We have never threatened to jail them, or take legal action of any kind," said city spokesman Keith Erickson.

http://www.cdapress.com/news/local_news/article_129c54cc-3dda-5868-8278-838cde92e17e.html