1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Clemens, Bonds, Tejada named in Mitchell Report

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by webdog, Dec 13, 2007.

1. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

NEW YORK (AP) -- Roger Clemens, Miguel Tejada and Andy Pettitte were named in the long-awaited Mitchell Report on Thursday, an All-Star roster linked to steroids and other performance-enhancing drugs that put a question mark -- if not an asterisk -- next to some of baseball's biggest moments. Barry Bonds, already under indictment on charges of lying to a federal grand jury about steroids, and Gary Sheffield also showed up in baseball's most infamous lineup since the Black Sox scandal.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_y...nYcB?slug=ap-mitchellreport&prov=ap&type=lgns

2. Rubato 1

Rubato 1 New Member

Reading this link, it's no wonder the Yankees are always so good (for partial seasons, at least!). ;)

3. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

I wonder how this will affect Clemens' legacy? Some pundits were claiming he's the greatest pitcher of all-time. I think we can safely get rid of that notion now.

I'm surprised about Pettitte.

I'm also surprised that Mark McGwire or Sammy Sosa are not in the report.

4. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

Todd Pratt was on the list.

I used to love watching Todd Pratt.

Everytime he'd hit a home run, he'd have to stop between second and third for a beer and a ciggarette.

He made John Kruk look like Mr. Olympia.

David Bell? He was awful when he was in Philly. If I were him, I'd have asked for a refund.

You can't tell me Bobby Abreu wasn't doped up.

And, watching over the last two seasons, a lot of us have wondered about Jimmy Rollins.

I don't believe anybody can really bulk up as much as he has in any kind of a natural, healthy way, and he has really started hitting long balls out of nowhere.

#4 Mike McK, Dec 13, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2007
  5. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

It seems that professional baseball has always been a sport for cheaters. Spit ball pitches anyone? The steroid issue is just another angle of a sport that has lost its soul to the all mighty dollar.

6. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Sosa is in it, I heard his name on Jim Rome this afternoon.

7. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Pettitte is the name the really surprises me.

It is a huge mess.

8. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I can't stand baseball. It's a boring sport full of cheaters.

9. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I think the one this affects the most is Clemens. There was talk of him being the best ever, and now he is in the same sentence and predicament as bonds (except he didn't lie to a grand jury...allegedly).

I think you have to seriously look at ANY player who is putting up great numbers in their late 30's early 40's, pitcher of position player.

Remember a few years back when Bret Boone came out of nowhere to smash all of those home runs with Seattle right in the middle of the roids heyday?

10. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Does anyone know if any Boston guys are in the report? Not just because I'm a Yankee fan but because Mitchell is on their Board of Directors...

I am glad that only baseball players cheat. Tennis players would never tank a match. Football players would never take a foreign substance into their bodies.:laugh:

11. Nicholas25

Nicholas25 New Member

This will hurt Pettitte's testimony. This situation and the situation with Paul Byrd show that the weakensses of the flesh.

12. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Agreed.

And Stefan: Remember, you have maybe less than 100 players named. That's a fraction of the MLB players, and even less a fraction of all professional baseball players. Do not judge the grand game by a pitiful few.

Don't you dare call baseball boring again....if you do, I'm calling for immediate suspension :laugh:

I'm relieved no Reds' pitchers were named. I'd hate to think they stunk as badly as they did using performance enhancers. Maybe they used the opposite pills :)

Rimshot, please.

13. Pastor_Bob

Pastor_Bob Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I feel it is important to keep this report in its proper context. At this point, this is nothing more than a gossip column. It is simply hearsay. No real investigation has been done by Mitchell. He had no subpoena power. He'll be lucky if he's not sued for defamation of character.

14. RockRambler

RockRambler New Member

Probably won't be many defamation of characters lawsuits out of the report, if any. Once a player files that suit, then his personal medical records could be subpoena for discovery evidence by the defendant. Most probably wouldn't want that to be public.

15. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

FWIW, I have no reason to doubt Pettitte's statement that he only used HGH for 2 days to recover from an injury in 2002. That's pretty minor in my book, and I think it was very wise and good for Pettitte to come out quickly and explain his side. There is a big difference between a guy like Pettitte who may have experimented with HGH to help an injury vs. a guy who used the stuff habitually to pump up his body to enhance performance.

16. RockRambler

RockRambler New Member

A better time to have come out with an excuse or denial might have been when when the players named had the chance to talk to Sen. Mitchell BEFORE the report came out. They didn't then, so their credibility now is lacking to me when they try to cover their tracks.

17. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

I completely agree with you, Rockrambler.

18. RockRambler

RockRambler New Member

Plus some have come up about rehabbing injuries...if that's the case, why didn't they obtain the steroids, HGH, etc.....from their doctor, instead of procuring it from an internet pharmacy??????