1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Closed communion

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Salty, Mar 30, 2018.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Does your church practice open, close or closed communion -
    Why or why not

2. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is no such thing as "close" communion. A door is either open or closed. If it just opened it little, it is still open, not closed.

The two forms are "open." The person in the pew makes the decision whether or not to take communion. Communion is a symbol of the unity of the local congregation. When communion is "open" you are saying, in effect, that you are in unity with people who are not members and may not live a life pleasing to Christ.

And "closed" communion which is when only members of the local congregation are allowed to participate in the elements.

Paul made it pretty clear that the local congregation is to be self governing. 1 Cor 5:11 But now I have written unto you not to keep company, if any man that is called a brother be a fornicator, or covetous, or an idolater, or a railer, or a drunkard, or an extortioner; with such an one no not to eat.

The problem with "open" communion is that the leadership has no idea what a visitor's personal testimony may be. He could be one of those Paul condemns, above.

The church I pastored for 27 years practiced "closed" communion. Members only. The service was held a half hour before our regularly scheduled evening service so, for the most part, no visitors were present.

The church I am now a member of practices "open" communion with the pastor making a statement to the effect that non-members who were saved and faithful members of a church of like faith were invited to join us.

As such decisions are well within the purview of the autonomy of the local congregation, I have no problem with either practice.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Our church practiced closed communion... Members only but those who were visiting from other churches of our same faith and order would also join... Brother Glen:)

4. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  5. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Open, in the sense that only saved can partake...
    Should have added that we also encourage those active in sinning and not dealing with known sins with God to refrain also!

#5 Yeshua1, Mar 30, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Open.

It is the Lord's table.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    At the church I pastor, we practice closed communion of the local-church-only variety. It is the Lord's Table, so we try to do what we think he would.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Saved-By-Grace

Saved-By-Grace Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Firstly, I see no NT evidence for the Lord's Supper to be restricted to members of any Church. Secondly, it is something for ALL truly born-again believers to part-take in, as it is very possible for someone to be a "member" of a Church, and not even be born-again! Thirdly, it should be the duty of every Pastor, to warn those at Church at the time of the Lord's Supper, as required by the Bible:

"For I received from the Lord what I also delivered to you, that the Lord Jesus on the night when he was betrayed took bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it, and said, “This is my body, which is for you. Do this in remembrance of Me.”In the same way also he took the cup, after supper, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in my blood. Do this, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of Me.” For as often as you eat this bread and drink the cup, you proclaim the Lord’s death until he comes.Whoever, therefore, eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty concerning the body and blood of the Lord. Let a person examine himself, then, and so eat of the bread and drink of the cup. For anyone who eats and drinks without discerning the body eats and drinks judgment on himself.That is why many of you are weak and ill, and some have died.But if we judged ourselves truly, we would not be judged. But when we are judged by the Lord, we are disciplined so that we may not be condemned along with the world.So then, my brothers, when you come together to eat, wait for one another— if anyone is hungry, let him eat at home—so that when you come together it will not be for judgment. About the other things I will give directions when I come." (1 Corinthians 11:23-34)

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Felipe Rios

Felipe Rios Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Agreed!

10. Felipe Rios

Felipe Rios Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Closed! We believe the church is local and never universal. Christ gave the Lord's Supper to the local ekklesia. So the members of each local church is the one that partakes of this Supper. This is the short explanation.

11. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You think He would only offer communion to the membership of one particular local church? If you had the President of your state convention just happen to be there on communion day, you would refuse him?

• Like Like x 2
  12. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Check out the Last Supper. Were the multitudes present, or just the 12?

13. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The twelve apostles:

Luke 22:14-21
    And when the hour was come, he sat down, and the twelve apostles with him. And he said unto them, With desire I have desired to eat this passover with you before I suffer: For I say unto you, I will not any more eat thereof, until it be fulfilled in the kingdom of God. And he took the cup, and gave thanks, and said, Take this, and divide it among yourselves: For I say unto you, I will not drink of the fruit of the vine, until the kingdom of God shall come. And he took bread, and gave thanks, and brake it, and gave unto them, saying, This is my body which is given for you: this do in remembrance of me. Likewise also the cup after supper, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood, which is shed for you. But, behold, the hand of him that betrayeth me is with me on the table.

#13 Jerome, Mar 31, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2018
  14. Felipe Rios

Felipe Rios Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of course. Unless he is a member of that local assembly.

15. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes.
    Except that we're not in a state convention.
    And, therefore, don't have a President.
    But if we did he probably wouldn't be there since we have a separate service just for the Lord's Supper.

16. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Isn't that the Bible way?, to refuse visiting brethren communion:

Acts 20:7
    And upon the first day of the week, when the disciples came together to break bread, Paul preached unto them, ready to depart on the morrow; and continued his speech until midnight.

17. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Since ours is a private service for church members, there are no visiting brethren to refuse.
    For many years I believed this "breaking bread" was referring to the Lord's Supper. Then one day it hit me that it was probably just a meal (comparing verse 11 with verse 7).

• Winner Winner x 2
  18. Felipe Rios

Felipe Rios Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Correct

19. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe an approach to better understanding is to realize that all Baptist versions of communion (as far as I have ever found) are restricted. It's just a matter of to whom it is restricted. Some may like the term open communion because it sounds magnanimous (but it sounds loose and liberal to others). Some may like the term closed communion because it sounds dogmatic (but it sounds narrow and bigoted to others).

In my opinion it is better, as much as possible, to discard the terms closed communion, close communion, and open communion – and rather ask the question, “What restriction(s) does the Bible place on participation in the Lord’s supper?

For the most part in Baptist churches it is either restricted to believers, baptized believers, baptized believers who are members of churches of like faith and order, or baptized believers who are members of the participating church.

I think there can be a "practical unrestricted communion" – not open in teaching, but open in practice. It is an observance in which the elements of bread and wine are offered to all, putting the onus of participation entirely on the communicant, even though the church may hold that communion is intended for Christians only, or the baptized only, but in practice no one is excluded or advised not to partake communion.

20. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What a creative rationalization!

But, from the pen of John Gill (thanks, Tyndale1946!):

"when the disciples came together to break bread;
    not to eat a common meal, or to make a feast, or grand entertainment for the apostle and his company, before they departed; but, as the Syriac version renders it, "to break the eucharist", by which the Lord's supper was called in the primitive times; or as the Arabic version, "to distribute the body of Christ", which is symbolically and emblematically held forth in the bread at the Lord's table. Now on the first day of the week, the disciples, or the members of the church at Troas, met together on this occasion, and the apostle, and those that were with him, assembled with them for the same purpose"