1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Clown Communion, Okay or Not?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by J.D., Mar 17, 2008.

?
  1. Yes, clown communion is okay.

5 vote(s)
    11.6%
  2. No, clown communion is not okay.

38 vote(s)
    88.4%
  1. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

Please vote as to whether you think clown communion is okay or not, and then post the scriptural reason you think it is okay or not okay.

Background: I heard about somebody somewhere doing a "clown communion" so I did a google search to find out if it was true. What I found out is that it is apparently more popular and widespread that I would have ever imagined. So instead of a link that proves the practice does exist, here is a link to my google search that contains links to clown ministries that are posting the results of their communion experiences, along with other links which are critical of the practice.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=clown+communion

So what do you think?

2. standingfirminChrist

Matthew 21:13 And said unto them, It is written, My house shall be called the house of prayer; but ye have made it a den of thieves.

3. North Carolina Tentmaker

Mark 9:38-40

And John answered him, saying, Master, we saw one casting out devils in thy name, and he followeth not us: and we forbad him, because he followeth not us. But Jesus said, Forbid him not: for there is no man which shall do a miracle in my name, that can lightly speak evil of me. For he that is not against us is on our part.

4. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

I have worked as a professional clown, and this goes beyond the limits.

Clowns are taught not to lead people to Christ, so that children dont make a decision based on wanting to get up close and personal. Also, it is hard for younger kids b/c they already are dealing with fantasy/reality. Or, they may do it based on fear (of the clown).

Also, professional clowns never EVER eat anything in front of anyone.

5. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Who voted that it was ok?
    It is hard to say this violates the regulative principle because they were simply administering one of the elements of Biblical worship.
    So there is obviously nothing wrong with that.
    But what about the clowns?
    I would contend that it was a violation of both the 2nd and 3rd commandments.

The clowns were too close to idols for my liking and they made a mockeryout of that which is holy.
    I am sure,even though the video had no dialog that the name of Christ wasprobably mentioned, if so it was vainly done.

6. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I said yes...partly because a clown was staring at me and they scare me...

the other part is that we take church waayyyyyyy too seriously around here. Come on, what is the difference between someone painted up and a deacon? It is but a difference of degree. ;)

7. guitarpreacher

guitarpreacher New Member

I was in a service once where they did this and it was awesome. The guy who led dressed as a clown wasn't in the style of a circus clown or bozo, with the big red nose and oversized shoes, but more (showing my age here) in the style of one of Red Skelton's clown characters. It was all done in mime, not one word spoken throughout the service.

Definately not something I would attempt, but the one time I saw it, it was powerful.

Oh yeah, Scripture. I can't think of any that would support it, nor can I think of any that forbids it. Could it be that if we do it remembering Christ's body that was broken for us and remembering Christ's blood that was shed for us, we might some liberty in the when, where and how? This Friday evening we will take the Lord's supper outside, under a huge oak tree as the sun is setting for the evening. Not expecting any clowns, but I think it will be pretty special anyway.

8. Linda64

Linda64 New Member

What a mockery!

Galatians 6:7 Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap.

Galatians 6:8 For he that soweth to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that soweth to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting.

9. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

You would think :thumbs:

10. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Opinion only...and that Scripture you yanked out of context has nothing to do with the OP.

11. Linda64

Linda64 New Member

Church is NOT a place where we have fun...church is to be taken seriously. That doesn't mean we sit there looking like we have been eating lemons. But our JOY comes from the LORD...we are to worship the LORD in the beauty of His Holiness. Clown communion is NOT worship....it IS MOCKERY!

Psalms 69:9 For the zeal of thine house hath eaten me up; and the reproaches of them that reproached thee are fallen upon me.

Communion is an ordinance of the church and is to be administered reverently.

12. guitarpreacher

Can't speak for anything anyone else has done or seen, but far from being a mockery, the one I saw was one of the most reverent and respectful Lord's Supper celebrations I've ever been a part of.

What strikes me as a mockery is having communion once a quarter whether you're ready or not, crumbling up some saltines and filling little cups with Welch's and taking 5 minutes at the end of a service to run everyone through communion like it was the buffet line at Luby's.

13. Linda64

Linda64 New Member

That Scripture was NOT yanked out of context and YES...it has everything to do with the OP...Clown communion mocks God! Do you not realize that God is HOLY?

14. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Praise God He has freed me from this vice! Worshipping God with my brothers and sisters in Christ is a blast and full of joy!

I pray you legalists who chore worshipping our God can find true joy, the kind of joy only He can provide, and not a list of man made rules and regulations...

15. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

...so using your logic...clowns are un-holy?

16. guitarpreacher

For some reason, I'm guessing you probably do.

17. chuck2336

chuck2336 Member

I am not sure about the clown idea, but I think I am more concerned about the sister who does not have fun at God's house.

Worship is fun, church is fun, being with Gods family is fun.

:godisgood:

18. Linda64

Linda64 New Member

Clowns belong in a circus...not church. The purpose of church is WORSHIP...NOT entertainment and church is definitely NOT a circus...although some would like to believe it is!

19. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Can you provide Scripture that communion solely belongs in the church?

20. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

I do not understand the purpose of it.

Why is there a need to get dressed up like a clown to have communion?