1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

CNN Contributor Attending LBU

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by eddie, Nov 29, 2007.

1. eddie

eddie New Member

Found this on the CNN web site:

Roland S. Martin is a nationally award-winning journalist and CNN contributor. Martin is studying to receive his master's degree in Christian communications at Louisiana Baptist University [emphasis mine], and he is the author of "Listening to the Spirit Within: 50 Perspectives on Faith." You can read more of his columns at www.rolandsmartin.com.

Interesting. Any comments...

Eddie

2. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I've read his stuff and have noticed this too. It stuck me as odd that someone who is writing for CNN.com and a frontpage writer is working on his master's degree. Just an odd thing, nothing more.

For a personal perspective I usually don't agree with everything he writes or many of his positions, but I do appreciate the candor and seriousness which he uses in writing. I have nothing against the man and hope him all the best. :)

3. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Well, he's a CNN contributor and a Master's student LBU. Why he chose LBU, I don't know.

4. southern_saint

southern_saint New Member

CNN contributor is LBU

Why one would contribute anything to CNN is beyond me. :praying:

5. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==Well let me say this, CNN is no worse than FOX. Both of these channels major on the minor and minor on the major. They are ratings driven and not fact driven.

Now, I have known Mr. Martin's status as a student at LBU for several months. Do I think it is strange? Not really. He already has a very good job and he wanted to further his education. He probably did not wish to cut back on his work (etc) to attend a on-campus school and LBU offered the program he needed. I see nothing wrong with that. Besides, any job he gets in the future will probably be based on his undergraduate degree, his experience on CNN, and his experience as a pastor.

I have considered, and I am still considering, furthering my education when I finish my second masters degree. I have a job teaching history at the college level, and Lord willing that job will continue, but I don't wish to stop learning. There is a very good chance that when I finish this degree, and after a good period of rest from being a student, that I will pursue another degree. Or, at the very least, take some classes online. Since the third degree will not be for employment purposes, I am considering working on a doctorate in American Church History at Columbia Evangelical Seminary (unaccredited). I have also thought about doing a MDiv through Luther Rice or earning a Masters of Education through Liberty. Either way that degree will be for personal gain only. I imagine that is what Mr. Martin is doing and there is really nothing strange about it at all.

6. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

I wonder if CNN is paying Martin more for his Master's degree education.

7. preachinjesus

Site Supporter

The Master's Degree probably isn't about more bucks, but more academic/professional respect. Just a thought. :)

8. southern_saint

southern_saint New Member

Cnn - Lbu

Personally, I believe the run-away, fanatical media would have thoroughly taken over this country had it not been for Fox News. Perhaps they are ratings driven but perhaps their ratings are so high because they offer a refreshing alternative to the lies of the liberal media. :jesus:

9. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

If just academic/professional respect, Would say Liberty be a better choice than LBU? Just a question! :thumbs:

10. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==Sure would, thats why I think it is probably a personal goal more than a professional. Or he could just be very uninformed about accreditation.

Also Liberty does not offer a Masters in Communication via distance learning.

Liberty program list

11. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

I sure hate to think that Roland is not up on accreditation!

But I am sure there are accredited Masters in Communication via DL out there, aren't there?

12. preachinjesus

Site Supporter

and a good one...two thoughts:

1. LBU gives him credit in an increasingly "spiritual" world without having to also deal with the discredit that comes (in some circles) from the association with the late Dr. Falwell...(I'm an LU grad, I can say that)

2. Honestly, and I'll wait for the rocks, I think LU has higher admissions and testing standards than LBU...ducks!

just must honest thoughts :)

13. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

I just read an article @cnn.com by Roland S. Martin. It appears that he is proud of his LBU studies. Here's what is at the end of the article at cnn.com:

Roland S. Martin is a nationally award-winning journalist and CNN contributor. Martin is studying to receive his master's degree in Christian communications at Louisiana Baptist University, and he is the author of "Listening to the Spirit Within: 50 Perspectives on Faith." You can read more of his columns at www.rolandsmartin.com.

14. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==I suppose this means CNN is willing to acknowledge his degree from Louisiana Baptist University. If so, good for him. I will always remember Roland Martin as being one of the last people to interview Dr. Jerry Falwell. I tried to find a video of that interview on Youtube but all I could find was people making fun of Falwell's death while accusing him of being mean and intolerant. The irony of that would be funny, were it no so tragic.

"He who rejoices at calamity will not go unpunished" -Pr 17:5

"Do not rejoice when your enemy falls, and do not let your heart be glad when he stumbles; or the LORD will see it and be dispeased..." l-Pr 24:17-18

#14 Martin, Dec 20, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2007
  15. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

I thought it was really sad how people joked about the death of Dr. Falwell. Nevertheless, the Word of God rings true.

16. Sly Fox

Sly Fox New Member

Finally a topic where I have some expertise after two decades as a television journalist. I can tell you that in the media world post-grad efforts are neither encouraged or appreciated. You'd be basically flushing money other than for personal enrichment. That's why you don't see many Masters level Communications programs. The only people who take them are those who want to teach. Otherwise they are basically pointless.

Since CNN is a VIACOM property they may indeed have educational grants. I know most of the companies I have worked for such as News Corp, Belo and Post-Newsweek all have programs. Generally though most journalists use the funds to attend law school or get a degree in an area of specialization. Perhaps the latter is what Mr. Martin has in mind.