1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Coffee House Chapel #3

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Dan Todd, Jan 11, 2004.

1. Watchman

Watchman New Member

Thanks Dan, and Sue for posting it. "Interesting twist" indeed.

2. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

April 17

[Friends, Blackbird asked me to do his Saturday devotional, as he was going to be out of town. If all has gone as planned, Jan and I are on our way to Vermont to spend the weekend with our children and grandchildren. I asked Sue to post this devotional on the appropriate day, and I thank her for doing so!]

Romans 11:7-10, “What then? Israel hath not obtained that which he seeketh for; but the election hath obtained it, and the rest were blinded. (According as it is written, God hath given them the spirit of slumber, eyes that they should not see, and ears that they should not hear;) unto this day. And David saith, Let their table be made a snare, and a trap, and a stumblingblock, and a recompence unto them: Let their eyes be darkened, that they may not see, and bow down their back alway.”

Today we will consider a subject that disturbs many Christians, “Reprobation.” Perhaps we should define reprobation. Reprobation is the passing over, by God, of those whom He did not elect to salvation. This brings up a question that troubles many, “Are the actions involved in election and reprobation to be thought of in exactly the same sense?” Or to put it another way, “Does God determine the destinies of individuals in exactly the same way so that, without any consideration of what they do or might do, He assigns one to heaven and the other to hell?”

We have previously studied that in the case of the elect, God chooses them based solely on His sovereign prerogatives, and not anything He sees in them. Can this also be said of the reprobate, “that God has consigned them to hell apart from anything they have done, apart from their deserving it.” Let’s look at some distinctions between election and reprobation.

First, there are at least two ways in which they are similar:
    1. Both originate in the eternal counsels or will of God, rather than in the will of man.
    2. Both have the glory of God as their objective.

But these two also have points of difference:
    1. The elect are chosen, but the reprobate are referred to as being “passed” over. Some argue that in its end result, there is no difference between being passed over for salvation and actively ordaining (or electing) a person to eternal damnation. While I must agree that there is no difference in the end result, yet there is a major difference. The reason why the elect are saved, is because God intervenes in their lives to bring them to faith. God accomplishes this by the new birth (regeneration). But God does not make the lost disbelieve Him. The lost accomplish that by themselves. God merely passes over the lost, leaving them in their unbelief.

2. The Westminster Confession speaks of God’s ordaining the lost “to dishonor and wrath for their sin.” This action by God is not an arbitrary action, but it is God consigning the lost to hell as a righteous judgment for their wrongdoing. The important thing about these two doctrines is that they are taught in the Bible, and are therefore to believed, whether or not they are understood.

Consider the following verses:

Proverbs 16:4, “The Lord hath made all things for himself: yea, even the wicked for the day of evil.”

John 12:39-40, “Therefore they could not believe, because that Esaias said again, He hath blinded their eyes, and hardened their heart; that they should not see with their eyes, nor understand with their heart, and be converted, and I should heal them.”

John 13:18, “I speak not of you all: I know whom I have chosen: but that the scripture may be fulfilled, He that eateth bread with me hath lifted up his heel against me.”

John 17:12, “While I was with them in the world, I kept them in thy name: those that thou gavest me I have kept, and none of them is lost, but the son of perdition; that the scripture might be fulfilled.”

1 Peter 2:7-8, “Unto you therefore which believe he is precious: but unto them which be disobedient, the stone which the builders disallowed, the same is made the head of the corner, And a stone of stumbling, and a rock of offence, even to them which stumble at the word, being disobedient: whereunto also they were appointed.”

Jude 4, “For there are certain men crept in unawares, who were before of old ordained to this condemnation, ungodly men, turning the grace of our God into lasciviousness, and denying the only Lord God, and our Lord Jesus Christ.”

Two very clear texts are found in Romans 9:
    Verse 13, “As it is written, Jacob have I loved, but Esau have I hated.”
    Verse 18, “Therefore hath he mercy on whom he will have mercy, and whom he will he hardeneth.”

These are difficult subjects, subjects that we, in our human nature, to not want to accept, but subjects that are taught in the Word of God, and subjects that God desires us to believe. (Non verse quotes are from Boice.)

Adapted from “Romans” by Boice.

In Christ,
    Dan Todd

3. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    And it makes me ever-so-thankful again for God's grace to an undeserving sinner!

4. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

April 18

[Friends, if all has gone as planned, Jan and I are in Vermont to spend the weekend with our children and grandchildren. I asked Sue to post this devotional on the appropriate day, and I thank her for doing so!]

Romans 11:7-10, “What then? Israel hath not obtained that which he seeketh for; but the election hath obtained it, and the rest were blinded. (According as it is written, God hath given them the spirit of slumber, eyes that they should not see, and ears that they should not hear;) unto this day. And David saith, Let their table be made a snare, and a trap, and a stumblingblock, and a recompence unto them: Let their eyes be darkened, that they may not see, and bow down their back alway.”

A surprise conclusion is what I would call today’s devotional. Back in Romans 9, Paul gave two examples of reprobation. Jacob’s twin Esau, was the father of the Edomites, and Pharaoh was the king of Egypt. Paul tells us that God “hated” Esau, and that He “hardened” the heart of Pharaoh. No Jew would have ever doubted that God hated Esau and hardened Pharaoh. That these two individuals were not included in God’s “elect” would not have been a surprise to Paul’s readers. But in our text (Romans 11), Paul is writes about Israel, not some Gentile, pagan, idol worshiping people. “Israel hath not obtained that which he seeketh for, but the election (a remnant - and a small one at that) hath obtained it, and the rest were blinded.”

What makes matters worse is that Israel had received the “blessings” of God (“the adoption as sons;...the divine glory, the covenants, the receiving of the law, the temple worship and the promises...the patriarchs” - Rom 9:4-5), and yet they became hardened. What a tragedy!

The lesson we need to learn today is that “if the blessings of God are misused – and they always are misused unless we allow them to lead us to faith in Jesus as our Savior – they will inevitably harden our hearts, propel us into further sins, and eventually lead to even greater judgments.” (Boice)

There is another powerful picture of this found in Malachi. Malachi lived in very bad times. The people were led by the priests, and the priests were far from God. “They were so far from God that when He sent Malachi to rebuke them for their sins, their response was one of hostile surprise and confrontation. They retorted, ‘How have you loved us? ... How have we shown contempt for your name? ... How have we defiled you? ... How have we wearied [God]? ... How are we to return? ... How do we rob you? ... What have we said against you?’ when Malachi accused them of those sins. (Malachi 1:2, 6-7; 2:17; 3:7-8, 13)” (Boice)

The religious leaders of Malachi’s day were responsible for this attitude. When we apply this text to our situation today, we see the same thing happening. The religious leaders of today are convincing the people that what is wrong - according to God’s Word - is somehow now acceptable, and what is right - according to God’s Word - is somehow passe or unfashionable!

Friends, the Book still tells us that adultery, fornication, homosexuality, abortion, etc. is still sin. The “Thus saith the Lord” on these and many other subjects is not old fashioned or out of date! The more people reject God and His Gift of His Son – the blinder we become. The philosophy of today’s modern society is - you say and do what you want - and I’ll say and do what I want - unless you are one of those old fashioned, intolerant Christians - then you don’t have the right to say anything to me, let alone condemn me. America and the “Western World” have become hardened to God and His Word. I fear that soon there will be no hope for us!

In Christ,
    Dan Todd

5. Watchman

Watchman New Member

Thanks Dan,
    You are a master of the understatement when you said, "Today we will consider a subject that disturbs many Christians..."
    After reading this I have contemplated my response for well over an hour now and I still do not know how to respond to it. There are people on this board that I have tremendous respect for, such as yourself and Dr. Bob, who adheres to this doctrine.
    Let me say that I find that I am encouraged when someone posts after me with an encouraging word or an, "AMEN!" So, I hate doing this. So, why do it? To present to everyone that there is another view on this issue. As for the scriptures that were brought up, you know that there are a whole army of people out there who will look at those passages differently, give their meaning of those verses and throw a bunch of others in that prove their point of view, than the other side will give their view of those...Well, on and on. That is how this doctrine has been discussed through the ages now. It is not about to be resolved here.

6. Dan Todd

Dan Todd Active Member

Watchman - you are truly a Christian gentleman - for which I praise the Lord!

Dan - posting from the liberal state of Vermont!

7. Watchman

Watchman New Member

Thank you, that is mutual. That is why I hate it when I disagree with those I respect. But I do so well, respectfully.
    Perhaps I will, in the future, explain why I feel this way on my weekends in the Carpenters Chapel.
    Charles

8. Dan Todd

Dan Todd Active Member

I will look forward to what you have to say!

Dan

9. Watchman

Watchman New Member

Okay, now for the post dated the 18th.

Dan said:
    America and the "Western World" have become hardened to God and His Word. I fear that soon there will be no hope for us!

This I wholeheartedly agree with. This goes perfectly with Romans 1:28:
    "And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a debased mind, to do those things which are not fitting."
    Abortion, The Super Bowl halftime show, Howard Stern, same sex marriage, all of this was unheard of 50 years ago. Things are not getting better, they are getting worse.
    Certainly, one of the places the finger can be pointed for all of this is at this country's pulpits and the seminaries that have turned these jokers out. (I am excluding, of course present company, as well as all of the fine pastors on and off this board.) America has heaped to itself teachers having itching ears and has turned away from the truth. (Based on 2Timothy 4:3&4)
    9/11 was nothing folks, brace yourselves.

10. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Was thinking the same thing, watchman. If God doesn't judge America for our sins, He will have to apologize to Sodom and Gomorrah . .

11. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Monday April 19, 2004

I have been away for a few days--to which I appreciate Brother Todd for stepping in my devotion time. I want to finish up with our look at Jesus' words from the cross! Today--we look at the sixth word(or phrase/sentence) and we call it:

"A Cry of Triumph!"
    John 19:30

The English phrase, "It is finished!" is translated from the Greek word, "Teleo" to which the familiar word "Tetelestai" is derived. It means--a task that has been completed!

Warren Weirsbe says that the word "Tetelestai" was an all familiar word in that Bible day.

FAMILIAR TO THE SERVANTS OF THAT DAY

When the Master would give his servant a certain task to perform--the servant would work deligently to complete it! Upon completion--the servant would report back to his Master that the work has been completed---In the Greek--his word to his Master would be "Tetelestai!"---in the English translated--"It is finished!"

Jesus is pictured as a servant busy about the King's business! Philippians 2:7-8 reads, "But made Himself of no reputation and took upon Him the form of a servant." Jesus also said in Luke 22:27, "I am among you as he that serveth."

Jesus here on the cross--is as the Father's servant and gives announcement---"TETELESTAI!" "I have completed the work I was sent to do!"

FAMILIAR TO THE PARDONED PRISONER OF THAT DAY

When a person was put in prison for a debt owed--he had to stay in the prison until he could pay that particular debt! Trouble was---how could he pay the debt if he were in prison?? The prisoner often found himself on what I personally call--"The Horns of a Dilemma!"---he owed a debt! He was cast into prison because he could not pay that debt! He had to remain there until he paid the debt! He couldn't pay the debt because he could not work! He could not work because he was in prison! See?? He was stuck with a debt to which he couldn't pay!

His freedom depended on someone outside of prison! Someone would have to come along and pay his debt! Someone would have to become his "redeemer" and pay the ransom!! Until then---he was stuck! See??

But a person COULD come along---a person who "had a heart" to pay the debt of the prisoner! Someone could pay the debt!

When someone would come along to pay the debt--the debt was paid to the Prison official--the Judge! The Judge would accept the ransom from the Prisoner's "Redeemer"---when the ransom was paid--the Judge would have "scribed" on a official document the words, "Tetelestai!"(Debt "Paid in full") and would have it posted on the Prisoner's cellblock door! The Jailor would then come along---read the words "Scribed" by the Judge as an official document---the Jailor would then take the key and unlock the prison door and set the captive free-----with the words---"TETELESTAI!" Paid in full!

Friend! Listen! You and I are "Prisoners set free!" We owed a debt we could not pay! But Jesus comes along and He paid a debt He did not owe!! He comes along and He sets the captive free---and the words of Jesus says---He who the Son sets free shall be free----indeed!

Jesus is here in the text on the cross with the loud word---"IT IS FINISHED!" "Teleo!" "TETELESTAI!!"

He finished the Father's business as a faithful servant!

He paid the debt for the sinner's sin---redeemed us---purchased our pardon on Calvary's "TREE!!" He set us free---on a tree!!

Halelujah---for the Lord Jesus Christ!

12. Dan Todd

Dan Todd Active Member

Halelujah - What a Savior!

13. Dan Todd

Dan Todd Active Member

April 20

“And David said, Let their table be made a snare, and a trap, and a stumblingblock ...” What is the table that David was speaking of? It certainly could have been the Jews blessings and privileges of “the adoption as sons; ... the divine glory, the covenants, the receiving of the law, the temple worship and the promises ... the patriarchs” (Romans 9:4-5). The blessings that the Jews were trusting in instead of trusting in their Messiah. God’s blessings become curses, when clinging to those blessings become “works of righteousness which we have done” (Titus 3:5) - in an attempt to procure ones own salvation. Most of the Jews in Paul’s day missed salvation, because they were clinging to the religious trappings meant to point them to the Messiah. By focusing on the trappings, they missed the Messiah that those trappings pointed so.

I fear that there are many professing Christians today that are “missing the Messiah” because they are “trusting in the trappings.” The “trappings” are meant to be an outward sign of an inward, spiritual union with Jesus Christ. But clinging to those trappings, instead of the Christ portrayed by those trappings, make the trappings worthless.

Here are some examples:

1. Baptism. Baptism is an outward sign of an inward, spiritual union with the Lord Jesus Christ. It is a public profession of salvation that is by grace through faith. But many many people erroneously believe that the simple act of baptism provides some sort of grace or favor with God and is a step that leads to salvation. Satan loves people to believe that. If he can succeed in getting folks to believe that lie - he succeeds in getting people to share his eternal misery in the Lake of Fire. Do not let baptism, which is a blessing from God, become a false hope, by believing one must be baptized in order to be saved.

2. Communion. The things said of baptism are also true of communion. The Lord’s Supper is a blessing for believers. It is meant to focus our attention on what Christ did for us on the cross, and keep us looking for our Savior’s soon return. But that blessing becomes a curse when the recipient believes that by physically taking the elements of the table, one receives grace towards salvation. (Note: We must be careful when we approach some people and ask them if they have ever received Christ. Groups that believe that the “juice” and the “bread” become the actual blood and body of the Lord - also believe that by partaking of the elements - they have received Christ!) The ceremony does not save. The ceremony is merely to portray a relationship that already exists.

3. Material possessions. All we have is from God. But the more we have, the less we think that we need God. What a dangerous position to be in - trusting possessions - instead of trusting God. Anything God has blessed us with should lead us to God in gratitude, but all too often, it leads us away from Him.

4. The Lord’s Day. December 7, 1941 was a Sunday. Following the defeat of the Japanese in 1945, General Douglas MacArthur had translators work on the enemy’s papers. The translators discovered that the Japanese had sent professors to the United States to study America’s national character and find the most opportune time to attack us. The Japanese discovered that the American’s guard would be the lowest on a Sunday morning following a Friday on which both the Army and the Navy had a payday. December 7, 1941 was such a Sunday.

There was a time in America that Sunday (the Lord’s Day) was a day of rest and worship for most Americans, and even those who were not Christians respected them. But that had changed by the winter of 1941. Our day of national blessing had become a national hangover, and God turned this former blessing into a curse. That weekend at Pearl Harbor was a debauch of vast proportions, and we were unprepared and unable to meet the Japanese attack when it came. (Paragraph adapted from Donald Grey Barnhouse)

Friend, if you are trusting in baptism, communion, your possessions, church membership, or any other work, then you are on your way to eternal damnation in the Lake of Fire (Hell). You need to quit trusting in useless stuff, and throw yourself on the mercy of God. Jesus Christ paid for your sin with His death, burial, and resurrection. Accept the free gift of salvation by faith! It is the only way to have eternal life!

In Christ,
    Dan Todd

14. Watchman

Watchman New Member

Thank you Dan!
    I love that last paragraph!!!
    [​IMG]

15. following-Him

following-Him Active Member

Thank you Dan

Sheila

16. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amen and Amen!

17. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Wednesday, April 21, 2004

This is the last of our devotion series on the words Jesus spoke from the cross. Warren Weirsbe wrote, "It will take eternity to reveal all that happened when Jesus Christ died on the cross."

"A Cry of Submission"
    Luke 23:46

What did Jesus say in that final moment--that can impact you and me? How can we take what He said and apply it to our lives?

His final words show us:

THE ULTIMATE RELATIONSHIP "Father . . ."

You know! In a way--the relationship that the Father had with His Son and that the Son had with His Father---is to be how I relate to my children and how they relate to me! I want to love them--as much as the Father loved Jesus! And I want them to love me as much as Jesus loved His Father! To me--thats the ultimate in loving---thats the ultimate in family relationships! To love our wives, husbands, and children as much as the Father loves Jesus and as much as Jesus loves His Father!

Have you ever counted how many times the word "Father" was on the lips of Jesus?

Luke 2:29, "I must be about My Father's business."

Jesus refered to the Father over 15 times in the Sermon on the Mount!

From John 13 through 17 Jesus mentions His Father over 53 times!

The words of Jesus show us:

THE ULTIMATE SECURITY "Into Thy hands . . ."

Think about this---ever since Jesus was born--evil men had desire to put their hands on Jesus! And as Jesus' ministry "rolled along" to the Garden of Gethsemine Jesus told His disciples in Matthew 26: 45, "The Son of Man is betrayed into the hands of sinners."

The hands of sinners grabbed Jesus and bound Him!
    The hands of sinners stripped Jesus of His clothes!
    The hands of sinners beat Jesus!
    The hands of sinners spread Jesus' hands out on the cross and nailed His hands there!

SEEN hands of sinners did that---but oooooohh how Jesus commits His self into the Hand of God!!

Think about the hand of God for a minute! Two different ways the Bible shows us--

1. God's Hands are hands of mercy and grace! And David said in Psalm 31:15, "My times are in Thy hand." All of our circumstances! The courses of time we travel through! The occurances of events in our lives! All in God's hand!

Believers do not live in the hands of luck or fate! Believers of the Lord Jesus Christ live in the hands of God!! Are you a Believer? Have you been born again?? Have you repented of your sin and received Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior??

2. Gods hands are hands of Divine Wrath

Hebrews 10:31 says, "It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of an angry God."

This verse speaks of lives of unrepentence! Living in sin and refusing to turn away from it! Oh, but if you're living in sin---you know that the hand of wrath is there---and you need to turn away from that sin---you need to forsake it today!

Did you know---to be in the Father's Hand---means also that we're in the hands of His Son?

Read John 10:27-30 It'll bless ya!

THE ULTIMATE CONFIDENCE "I commend My Spirit"

Jesus was probably just moments or seconds away from death. Jesus' Spirit was going to seperate from His body! He was fixing to die! But look what He says in the verse---in total confidence!!

"Father, into Thy Hands I commend My Spirit."

His body was going to go where? To a grave! Isaiah 53:9 says, "And He made His grave with the wicked, and with the rich in His death."

Joseph of Arimethia and Nicodemous take the body of Jesus and place it in Joseph's grave!

But His Spirit went where?? Where did it go??

Well, go back to the text and see something!

That word "commend" in the Greek means, "to place alongside"

Jesus' Spirit went where? Right alongside the Father! Where's the Father?? In Heaven!

Are you going to Heaven when you die?? In your moment of death---BOOM!!---Will you find yourself "placed alongside" Jesus in Glory??

You can call on His Name today! You can be saved today! The Bible says that whosoever shall call on the Name of the Lord Jesus will be saved! That means--you acknowledge there is no other way to be saved from your sins! That means you acknowledge that there is no other way to the Father except through Him! And by faith---when the Holy Spirit calls you to salvation---you place your total dependency upon the Lord Jesus Christ to save you and take you to Heaven when you die!

18. Watchman

Watchman New Member

Thanks Blackbird.

19. Dan Todd

Dan Todd Active Member

20. Dan Todd

Dan Todd Active Member

April 22

Romans 11:11-12, “I say then, Have they stumbled that they should fall? God forbid: but rather through their fall salvation is come unto the Gentiles, for to provoke them to jealousy. Now if the fall of them be the riches of the world, and the diminishing of them the riches of the Gentiles; how much more their fulness?”

There are many of you who disagree with what I have been writing - regarding the doctrines of election and reprobation. My mother challenges me with - “If your understanding of election is true, why bother telling any one the gospel - because the elect are going to be saved - and the reprobate are not!” Friends, there are two things I can say about such questions:

1. I do not know who is elect and who is reprobate, only God knows. Boice writes, “It is something hidden in the eternal counsels of God.”

2. God tells us to preach (spread) the good news of the gospel. That is our job as believers. God has chosen the way that the elect will be led to Himself - as well as choosing those who will be led to Him. God asks us to be faithful presenting the message, and He will use that message to produce the results.

Perhaps you are thinking that these doctrines may be true - but they shouldn’t be preached from the pulpits. If you think this way, I respectfully disagree with you. Paul wrote to young Timothy, “All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.” (2 Timothy 3:16-17) I’ve been a pastor since 1968. Yes, I’ve preached my share of topical sermons, but mostly I preach through books of the Bible. The books that I can remember preaching through are Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Isaiah, Jeremiah, Ezekiel, John, Romans (twice), Revelation (twice), Ecclesiastes, two thirds of the Psalms, and all the single chapter books of the Bible. There may have been others that slip my mind. One great things about preaching through books is - no one can legitimately accuse me of specifically preaching at them - and if they do - I can blame it on the Holy Spirit - because it is with Him that “the buck stops” as the late President Harry Truman often said - as the Holy Spirit is the ultimate Author of this precious book. Every chapter, verse, and word of the Bible is “profitable” for us.

Many think that the doctrines of election and reprobation are arbitrary - that there is no reason for these doctrines. Boice writes that these many think that “It means that God chooses one and not another as if He were plucking petals from a daisy, saying: ‘I love you .... I love you not .... I love you .... I love you not.’ That is not an accurate picture.”

Friends, God owes none of us an explanation for what He does or does not do. And even if God fully explained Himself to us on these issues, I doubt that any of us could totally understand the explanation. But rest assured, even though God may not give us full explanations, we must never think that what God does is without purpose, that He has no reasons for His actions. Boice writes, “God is a purposeful God, and we should rightly suppose that everything He does has a purpose, and an infinitely wise one at that.”

God has, however, given us some explanation of why He chooses some and passes over others. In Romans 9 Paul gave us one reason - that God might be glorified - that He might be known as He truly is. “Paul taught that God makes His patience, wrath, and power known .... [to] the reprobate ... and that He reveals His mercy .... [to] the elect, whom He saves apart from any supposed worthiness in them.” (Boice)

Paul deals with the meaning of history in Romans 9-11. The Apostle has been explaining to us why God has passed over/will pass over the majority of Israel, which rejected, and continues to reject their Messiah. The obvious question is, “What purpose does God have in passing over His chosen people?” The answer is - “God is using the passing by of Israel to bring salvation riches to the Gentiles.” (Boice) And we will spend the next few devotionals looking at this.

In Christ,
    Dan Todd