1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Coffee House Chapel #4

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Dan Todd, Apr 25, 2004.

1. Dan Todd

Dan Todd Active Member

I can't wait!

2. Dan Todd

Dan Todd Active Member

July 22

Romans 11:26-27, “And so all Israel shall be saved: as it is written, There shall come out of Sion the Deliverer, and shall turn away ungodliness from Jacob: For this is my covenant unto them, when I shall take away their sins.”

Today, I quote word for word a passage from Boice’s commentary on Romans.

“About one hundred years ago, Frederick the Great, King of Prussia, was having a discussion with his chaplain about the truth of the Bible. The king had become skeptical about Christianity, largely through the influence of the French atheist Voltaire. So he said to his chaplain, ‘If your Bible is really true, it ought to be capable of very easy proof. So often, when I have asked for proof of the inspiration of the Bible, I have been given some large tome that I have neither the time or desire to read. If your Bible is really from God, you should be able to demonstrate the fact simply. Give me proof for the inspiration of the Bible in a word.’

“The chaplain replied, ‘Your Majesty, it is possible for me to answer your request literally. I can give you the proof you ask for in one word.’

“Frederick was amazed at this response. ‘What is this magic word that carries such a weight of proof?’ he asked.

“‘Israel,’ said the chaplain.

“Frederick was silent.

“There are many other proofs for Christianity, of course. But is can hardly be doubted that the continuing existence of Israel as a distinct people throughout the four thousand years of her history is a striking phenomenon. Dispossessed of her homeland and dispersed throughout the world, Israel has nevertheless survived while other peoples in similar situations have not. Coupled with the Bible’s identification of the Jew as God’s elect people and its many prophecies concerning their unfolding history, the preservation of Israel as a people is strong evidence for the Bible being the inspired and inerrant Word of God.

“Even more than that, and much to the purpose for our study, the survival of Israel suggests that God has preserved these people through their many dispersions and persecutions not because He does not care for them, but because He does, and because He has a plan for the Jewish people that will unfold in blessing in the last days.”

In Christ,
    Dan Todd

3. Watchman

Watchman New Member

Thanks Dan. It seems that I read somewhere that someone was speaking to Napoleon as to whether he believed in miracles; to which he replied, "The Jews."

4. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Friday, July 23, 2004

1 John 3: 4-5, "Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law; for sin is the transgression of the law. And ye know that He was manifested to take away our sins; and in Him is no sin."

If you study God's word you will soon discover that He demands absolute flawless perfection from His ultimate creation, man!

If you keep studying you will discover that fallen man---no matter how good he is---will always fall short of God'd demand!

In verse 4---God established the Law to show us--"This is what I demand! These are My standards! Failure to meet these demands results in sin! The man that sinneth shall surely die!

The Bible also teaches that all men have failed the standard! Romans 3: 23 says, "For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God."

Now, notice verse 5 of 1John 3!! "And ye know that He was manifested to take away our sins; and in Him is no sin."

All along the way from the Garden of Eden to you and me---God has provided a way back to Him! A way OUT of death! Death is the punishment for sin! God says that "the soul that sinneth shall surely die!"

In verse 5---there is the PROVISION for the ultimate PUNISHMENT that verse 4 brings!! God came in flesh---to take away our sins!! One small sin is enough to damn you to Hell for all eternity! But aren't you glad that God's PROVISION is greater than all our sin??? Aren't you glad of that??

He came to "take away" our sins! And listen! Anything that God takes away---He fills that void with something!! He fills that void where sin use to be---with Jesus!!

And to say, "He took away my sins!!!!!"---is to say, too, "He gave me Jesus!!!" He took our sins---and gave us Himself!!!

Get into the word from the Word today!! And be filled with Him!! He takes away our sins---and gives us Himself!!

5. Bible Student

Bible Student New Member

Blackbird, thanks for the post, I believe most Christians take what God has done for granted. I know that I do not deserve this wonderful salvation but instead deserve separation from God.

If anyone understands how a holy God could die in my place and give me eternal life, I wish you would share that with me, cause I do not understand, but thank God He did.

Richard

6. Dan Todd

Dan Todd Active Member

Richard - that is the question that we'll never understand the answer to.

But - by grace through faith - gives us what we do not deserve.

Thank you Blackbird!

7. Dan Todd

Dan Todd Active Member

July 24

Romans 11:26-27, “And so all Israel shall be saved: as it is written, There shall come out of Sion the Deliverer, and shall turn away ungodliness from Jacob: For this is my covenant unto them, when I shall take away their sins.”

“All Israel will be saved.” “Romans 11:26 is the conclusion and clearest statement of this argument, the bottom line of Paul’s discussion of God’s historical purposes with the Jews, namely, that in the last days God will fulfill His promises to the Jews nationally by bringing the mass of Israel to faith in Jesus Christ as the Messiah.” (Boice)

Paul has a pattern of making his argument and then backing it up with O.T. Scripture. He did this in his discussion of the depravity of man in Romans 3. At the end of Romans 3 Paul explains the gospel and quotes the O.T. in chapter four. Paul did the same thing in Romans 9 and 10. The Apostle Peter did just the opposite. Peter would give his O.T. texts, and then make his argument. On the day of Pentecost, Peter used Joel 2:28-32; Psalm 16:8-11; and Psalm 110:1 in his message recorded in Acts 2:14-41.

In Romans 11, Paul proves his argument concerning Israel by quoting the following:

Isaiah 59:20-21, “And the Redeemer shall come to Zion, and unto them that turn from transgression in Jacob, saith the Lord. As for me, this is my covenant with them, saith the Lord; My spirit that is upon thee, and my words which I have put in thy mouth, shall not depart out of thy mouth, nor out of the mouth of thy seed, nor out of the mouth of thy seed's seed, saith the Lord, from henceforth and for ever.”

Isaiah 27:9, “ By this therefore shall the iniquity of Jacob be purged; and this is all the fruit to take away his sin; when he maketh all the stones of the altar as chalkstones that are beaten in sunder, the groves and images shall not stand up.”

Jeremiah 31:33-34, “But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the Lord, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people. And they shall teach no more every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the Lord: for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.”

Our text can be taken two ways: (1) That Messiah will come out of Israel in order to take away the people’s sins by His death on the cross. [This has reference to Christ’s first advent.] (2) That Messiah will come out of heaven - to Israel - in order to turn the hearts of Israel from unbelief to faith. [This refers to a time of future blessing.] “Those who do not believe in a future period of national conversion for Israel naturally incline to the former interpretation. Those who think Paul is prophesying an age of future blessing choose the latter.” (Boice)

Please note that Paul’s quote from Isaiah 59:20 is in the future tense - “shall be.” When Isaiah wrote his prophecy, he could have been writing of Christ’s first coming. But Paul, writing under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit interprets Isaiah’s words as referring to a future blessing. Paul’s interpretation clarifies many other O.T. prophesies, of which we shall look at some of them in future devotionals.

Adapted from “Romans” by Boice.

In Christ,
    Dan Todd

8. Watchman

Watchman New Member

Thank you Dan.
    The passage that seems the clearest on this issue to me is Zechariah 12:10:
    "And I will pour on the house of David and on the inhabitants of Jerusalem the Spirit of grace and supplication; then they will look on Me whom they have pierced. Yes, they will mourn for Him as one mourns for his only son, and grieve for Him as one grieves for a firstborn."
    Is the Church of the house of David? Does the Church inhabit Jerusalem? Clearly it speaks of the literal Jews, and, since nothing like this has happened yet, it is yet future.
    We need to accept our place, though it may be hard to take: We are the dogs under the table folks. George Jones said, "Every little dog is gonna have his day." Well, our "day" is about over.

"Paul's interpretation clarifies many O.T. prophesies, of which we will look at some of them in future devotionals." By using Zechariah 12:10,
    I just realized that I may have robbed you of one of those prophesies, sorry!

9. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Sunday, July 25, 2004

"The Devil is Alive, But He's Not Well"

1John 3: 8, He that committeth sin is of the devil: for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil."

Three times in this verse---the word mentions the "devil!"---just who is the devil?? Why is he called the devil?? Without going into great detail lets just say---

-he is everything that Jesus isn't!
    -he stands for everything that Jesus is against!
    -he's nothing that Jesus is!
    -he stands against everything that Jesus is for!

A few things that he isn't---but that God is:

-he is not omnipresent(all present)--God is!
    -he is not omnipotent(all powerful)--God is!
    -he is not omniscient(all knowing)--God is!

But the text above says that Jesus came to destroy the "works of the devil"--think about this!

Its important to know HOW the devil operates! The word "devil" is used in verse 8! It comes from the Greek word, "Diabolos"--which means "to seperate or shatter"

You've heard the phrase, "He's a one man wreckin' crew!"----well, that's what the devil is! He's a wreckin' crew of one!!

The devil is out to seperate! He's out to "put distance" between the sinner and his need of a Savior! He's out to keep sinners from obtaining salvation that comes from Jesus!

He's also out to "put distance" between the Saved person and his Lord! He's out to keep saved people from enjoying fellowship with Jesus!

He's also out to "put distance" between saved people and saved people! Know what I mean?? He's out to seperate us from us!

But I "got to wonderin'" this morning!! The word says that Jesus came to destroy the "works of the devil!"----for a long time there, I didn't realize that Jesus was ever capable of "destroying" anything! But He is! The question is---how does He "go about" to destroy the works of the devil??

When my boy "destroys" one of his GI Joe's he comes to me---the arms are ripped off from the torso---or the legs---or maybe even the "Action Figure's" head is missin' from his neck--

"Daddy! Can you put this back on??"

"Sure, Son! How'd it happen to get ripped off??"

"I guess I was playin' a little too rough with it!"(talk about make believe combat!!!) You ever try to put a busted GI Joe back together?? You have to tell yourself when its done, "Its a miracle from God!!!!!!!"

You go to Jesus with your missin' parts!!! Friend---you ask Him to put it back together! The devil is gonna "play rough" with your life---but you take what gets "torn up" to Jesus, friend!!! He destroys the works of the devil---by putting lives back together! Marriages--He can put them back together! Minds--He can put them back together! Relationships--He can put them back together! Jesus "destroys" the devil's works---by putting things back together!!

What do you have today---that the devil has destroyed??? You've got something, I know!! Because I do!!

You can go to Jesus! He specializes in "real" GI Joe's(and Janes)!! Jesus said in John 10:10, "The thief cometh not but to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly!"

10. Watchman

Watchman New Member

Thanks Blackbird. We must constantly be on guard against he who comes not but for to steal to kill and destroy!

11. Dan Todd

Dan Todd Active Member

Our adversary is powerful - but our God is all-powerful!

12. Dan Todd

Dan Todd Active Member

July 26

Whenever there is a question as to what a particular passage of Scripture is referring to - it is best that we look to other Scriptures to find the meaning. Paul, writing under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit interprets Isaiah 59:20-21 as referring to a future blessing for Israel. Last time we mentioned that Paul’s interpretation clarifies many other O.T. prophesies. Before we begin to look at some of them, there is another Isaiah text which amplifies the necessity of using the above mentioned principle. The critics have long scoffed at the virgin birth of our Savior. They correctly say that the Hebrew word virgin (almah) in Isaiah 7:14 can be properly translated damsel and maid (young woman), as well as virgin. Both Matthew and Luke use the Greek word parthenos which means “a maiden; by implication, an unmarried daughter.” Matthew clarifies the situation by stating “before they came together” (1:18), and Luke quotes Mary as saying, “How shall this be, seeing I know not a man?” (1:34) God’s Word is the best place to find answers regarding God’s Word.

Now to an O.T. prophesy that Paul clarifies with his statement in Romans 11:26.

Jeremiah 16:14-16, “Therefore, behold, the days come, saith the Lord, that it shall no more be said, The Lord liveth, that brought up the children of Israel out of the land of Egypt; But, The Lord liveth, that brought up the children of Israel from the land of the north, and from all the lands whither he had driven them: and I will bring them again into their land that I gave unto their fathers. Behold, I will send for many fishers, saith the Lord, and they shall fish them; and after will I send for many hunters, and they shall hunt them from every mountain, and from every hill, and out of the holes of the rocks.”

Jeremiah wrote this prophecy before the fall of Jerusalem to Nebuchadnezzar. Many take these words as referring to the return of Israel to the land in the days of Ezra and Nehemiah. Boice writes that “it may even have had a partial fulfillment at that time. However, in view of the apostle Paul’s understanding of Isaiah 59:20-21, it may also be referring to a more important return of Israel to her ancient homeland in the last days.”

In fact, there is another thing to consider in this Jeremiah text. Jeremiah refers to the children of Israel as coming “from the land of the north, and from all the lands whither he (the Lord) had driven them.” Returning to the land from one land (Babylon) does not adequately fulfill the prophecy that Israel would return from the land of the north (Babylon is generally east of Israel) and all the nations from whence God had driven them. The Jews have been scattered to most all nations on the face of the earth. They have, since Israel’s modern era birth in 1948, been returning in droves to that once desolate land that seemed to have nothing to offer its residents.

Thank you Paul for the clarifying verse of Romans 11:26, “And so all Israel shall be saved.” It seems that we may be seeing events that will lead to the fulfillment of this prophecy in our own generation.

In Christ,
    Dan Todd

13. Watchman

Watchman New Member

Thanks Dan. "All the lands" does seem to settle it; that it is speaking of the future.

14. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Tuesday, July 27, 2004

We left off on my last devotion speaking on that "Ole Snake in the Grass"---de debble!! Satan!

1John 3:8 says, "He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose, the Son of God was manifested, that He might destroy the works of the devil."

Notice that phrase, "the works of the devil."

How does the devil work?? Lets just look at a few more verses and then mention a few ways he does his "dirty laundry!"

Ephesians 6: 11 speaks of the wiles(methods) of the devil.

2Corinthians 2:11 speaks of the devices of the devil.

But how does he move?? What are his tactics?? The ole "Snake in the grass" moves primarily by stealth(undetected, undetectable) and when you find out he's there-----boom!----its too late to run!!

1. HE ASSAULTS MENTALLY

This is one reason why its important to carry with you and wear on a continual basis--God's Helmet of Salvation! God's Helmet of Salvation is His protection for our heads!! We protect our minds with the truths found in God's Truth

2. HE ASSAULTS MORALLY

In Hebrews 11:25--the word speaks of the "pleasures of sin"---the devil will make sin seemingly pleasant and allureing!! He'll get us to love the things we ought to hate and hate the things we ought to love!!

3. HE ASSAULTS MOTIVATIONALLY

He gets us down---and when we get down we have a tendency to stay down! I believe it is one of Sir Isaac Newton's Laws of Relativity that says something like---"An object at rest tends to stay at rest!" The ole "Snake in the Grass" wants us to rest---take it easy---don't get all bothered about anything! Don't sweat the big stuff! Don't sweat the little stuff!!

When all along God says in His word that we are to work and not rest---by the sweat of our brow!!

The devil will have us working when we need to be resting---and resting when we need to be working!!

But how do we defeat the devil at his business?? How do we put the devil out of operation?? Chop his head off??

Here's how!!

A. DON'T GIVE HIM A PLACE IN YOUR LIFE

Ephesians 4:27 says, "Neither give place to the devil." Not one square inch! Friend, listen! 1/2 of one small impure thought---is a place! Guard your heart and don't let the devil have a place! Don't give him room to expand his business!!

B. RESIST HIM

James 4: 7 reads, "Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you."

How do we resist the devil??

By getting in his face???? No, that won't work! You get up in the face of the devil and start hollerin' and screamin' rebukes---friend, he'll just get a good laugh out of you!!

Here's how we can send the devil "runnin'!"

James 4: 7-8 says, "Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. Draw nigh to God and He will draw nigh to you. Cleanse your hearts ye sinners: and purify your hearts, ye double minded."

We don't resist the devil by getting in his face---oh, no! Rather---we resist the devil---and he'll run like a "scalded dog"-----when we seek the face of God!!!

"Snake in the grass" botherin' you?? Debble get cha down?? Run to the face of God!! Seek His face! Look to Jesus and live today!!

15. Dan Todd

Dan Todd Active Member

We certainly cannot find off that old snake in our own power!

Thank you Blackbird!

16. Dan Todd

Dan Todd Active Member

July 28

God will yet save “all Israel” as prophesied by Paul in our text. Another of the O.T. prophesies that become clearer because of Paul’s prophecy is Jeremiah 32:36-40, “And now therefore thus saith the Lord, the God of Israel, concerning this city, whereof ye say, It shall be delivered into the hand of the king of Babylon by the sword, and by the famine, and by the pestilence; Behold, I will gather them out of all countries, whither I have driven them in mine anger, and in my fury, and in great wrath; and I will bring them again unto this place, and I will cause them to dwell safely: And they shall be my people, and I will be their God: And I will give them one heart, and one way, that they may fear me for ever, for the good of them, and of their children after them: And I will make an everlasting covenant with them, that I will not turn away from them, to do them good; but I will put my fear in their hearts, that they shall not depart from me.”

In Jeremiah 32, God tells the prophet to buy a corn field as a symbol of His lasting commitment to the Jewish homeland. “For thus saith the Lord of hosts, the God of Israel; Houses and fields and vineyards shall be possessed again in this land.” (Ver 15) When Nebuchadnezzar took the southern kingdom of Judah into captivity, he began an odyssey that left Israel, either in foreign captivity or when they were in their own homeland, in subjection to other powers until the establishment of the State of Israel in 1948. True possession of houses and fields and vineyards in the land was not possible until 1948. I’m sure there must of been times that Jewish people despaired of ever being able to return to their ancient homeland, as God promised, when the land was totally controlled by others from 70 A.D. until 1948. No nation (people) has ever been so dispersed among the nations of the world and yet retained their identity. God has and is truly keeping His promises to His “chosen people!”

Like Jeremiah 16:14-16, the above text quoted from Jeremiah “seems at first to be referring only to the return of the Jews to Jerusalem from Babylon, even though some of the elements in the prophecy do not seem to fit perfectly.” (Boice) There are several phrases in the prophet’s message that were not fulfilled in the return of the Jews to the land in Ezra and Nehemiah’s day, in Jesus’ day, in 1948, nor until this present day. Those promises then must be still be looking for a future fulfillment (“all Israel shall be saved”).

Those phrases are:
    1. Singleness of heart (“one heart, and one way”);
    2. Always fear Him (“fear me for ever”);
    3. and “an everlasting covenant with them.”

“Singleness of heart hardly describes the history of the people from the days of Ezra and Nehemiah on. In fact, they were as wayward then as ever, and in the days of Jesus they actually turned against their Messiah.” (Boice) But when we begin to think in terms of a future blessing for Israel, the idea of “singleness of heart” and “always fearing” God and “an everlasting covenant” take on a specific meaning. Paul wrote “and so all Israel shall be saved.” That salvation shall come to the Jews, as promised, at the end of the Great Tribulation when “they shall look upon me whom they have pierced.” (Zech 12:10) Israel will then believe on Jesus the Messiah, and they shall go with Him into the Millennium, and the promises of God will be fulfilled in Israel with Israel, literally. This is Paul’s message in Romans 9-11. We can trust God to keep His promises to us (the Gentile church), because He has and will continue to keep all of His promises to the Jewish people.

In Christ,
    Dan Todd

17. Watchman

Watchman New Member

Thank you Dan. It is sad though, that a certain preacher seems to be taking, "All Israel shall be saved," to the extreme and saying that the Jews have ANOTHER way to be saved: because of who they are.
    They must be saved the same way as all of us. To say they may come to God (climb up) another way is, in fact, doing the Jews great harm, and to the cause of Christ a disservice.

18. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    2 Cor 1:20 "For all the promises of God in him are yea, and in him Amen, unto the glory of God by us."

19. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Thursday, July 29, 2004

The Love of Jesus

1John 3:11-12, "For this is the message that ye heard from the beginning, that we should love one another. Not as Cain, who was of that wicked one, and slew his brother. And wherefore slew he him? Because his own works were evil, and his brother's righteous."

Lets talk a little about love! God's love!! And a little of God's love is a lot!!

3 basic types of love described in the word from the Word.

1) Phileo---Brotherly type love---is expressed from "neighbor to neighbor"

2) Eros--Maritial type love---is expressed from "husband to wife"

Interesting thing about these two types of love in that they both are limited! My phileo love I express is limited to the friends that I know! My Eros type love is limited to my wife only! See how limited they are???

3)Agape---this is the type love that God expresses toward us! Agape is the God type love! Agape is God in action! It is unlimited in term and in practice!

Romans 5:8 says, "But God commendeth His love toward us, in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us."

If God loved us with anything less than Agape love---friend---He wouldn't have sent Jesus to die!

Now, the Bible also teaches that the love of God is in our lives at point salvation! And it is then that we are capable of loving like God does! When we get saved--we love God like He loves us and we love others like He loves us!

This is one way we can "prove" our salvation!! You see, we can "prove" salvation--sorta like a Gold miner "proves" his gold he finds! He digs out of the Ore a "vein"---he knows that he knows its gold---but he takes it to the gemologist who "runs some tests" to prove it!!

Look at verse 14 of 1John 3!! "We know that we have passed from death unto life, because we love the brethern. He that loveth not his brother abideth in death."

We "prove" our salvation---outwardly---by the way we love our brother! At point salvation---God's love is "emparted" to us---given to us! We then turn around and display that love----by loving our brothers in the same way that God loves us!!

When God saves us---He frees us from the curse of death and the bondage of sin---He also frees us to love others just like He loves us!! We are free to love with an unlimited type love!

What about your love? Who are you going to show it to??----Did you know that you are still required to "limit" your Eros love to your wife or husband only??? Thats right! Just because your saved---doesn't mean you can "eros" anybody you choose!

But--when you get saved---God's Agape Love---comes into your heart---and you can "Agape" like God does! You can be unlimited in that!! Try it out today! Love your brother like God loves you!

20. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Amen! Great thoughts on a vital topic.