1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Colorado Supremes kick Trump off ballot

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by canadyjd, Dec 20, 2023.

?
  1. SCOTUS will overturn it

9 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. SCOTUS will let it stand

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. SCOTUS will not hear the case, letting it stand

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    …. The ruling states the Secretary of State cannot put DT on the ballot and cannot count write in votes for DT both in primaries and general election.

Will this ruling stand?

peace to you

• Informative Informative x 2
  2. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I doubt it will stand. Trump has not even been convicted of insurrection.

But I doubt Colorado will conduct a fair election (as evidenced by their actions in the OP).

I suspect there is fear concerning a Trump-Biden election.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    The court used the 14th amendment which states those involved in “insurrection” cannot hold public office.

They quoted the findings of the Jan 6 committee, which was a completely partisan exercise that had the one purpose of keeping DT from running again. Looks like Colorado Supremes got the memo and do not care they are the ones….

….. destroying democracy!!!!

FTR, DT has not been charged with insurrection in any court, much less been convicted.

peace to you

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    If SCOTUS rules along party lines (anything less than 9-0), the left will undermine the court as a “Trump” court and start talking about packing the court again. Look for Justices to be targeted before and after the ruling (should they hear the case) with protests and death threats.

This ruling is truly a far greater threat to “democracy” than anything DT has ever done.

peace to you

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    POTUS just commented (with a big grin on his face) saying he couldn’t comment on an ongoing case… then walked over to reporters and commented on the case saying there is “no doubt” DT was an “insurrectionist”.

POTUS sees a lane for victory. Use the courts to keep DT off the ballot.

We are in very dangerous territory with this ruling.

peace to you

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The interesting thing is what happens if the Colorado ruling stands.

I don't think swing states have enough support to do the same. But some blue states would probably follow Colorado's example.

Imagine if Trump is the GOP candidate and Colorado (with a couple of other blue states where Trump wouldn't win anyway) keep him off the ballot for POTUS.

This would be a win for Trump (although ultimately a loss for our nation, with very troubling future consequences).

I think what will happen is the SCOTUS will overturn the Colorado decision. And this will be a boost for Trump.

But either way this is a gain for Trump as I don't think swing voters will ignore Colorado's action.

Now...Red States could try to do the same with Biden (depending on how the SCOTUS decides and justified their decision). Then it'd be a loss for the GOP (I doubt they would go there....but I don't know. They complained about impeachment and when in power did the same).

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't think that the U.S. Supreme Court will let this stand. This case in Colorado is only about the primary, not the general election; and there is little chance that Donald Trump would win Colorado in the 2024 general election.

God is the one who ordains leaders in His absolute sovereignty over all of His creation, regardless of whether they are elected or otherwise, and regardless of how well or poorly an election is administered.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    According to Dershowitz It is an amendment intended for Confederate Soldiers originally and has not actual application for Trumps situation. Either way it will get overturned.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't think it matters that the amendment originally grew out of the Civil War (as it was made an amendment to the US Constitution).

The main issue, IMHO, is that Colorado determined Trump's guilt without due process. Trump has not been found guilty of insurrection.

Even if Trump supporters were found guilty of insurrection that wouldn't make Trump an insurrectionist.

I don't think the SCOTUS has a choice but shoot it down.

Doesn't fix Colorado.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    Roberts hates to get involved in state rulings. I see him as potentially just refusing to hear it. Not exactly sure how it gets to the point of review.

I heard Smith just requested an expedited review (bypassing lower courts) of whether DT has immunity from prosecution in his case.

Now… if SCOTUS refuses to rule on Smith’s case, sending it to lower courts before they rule, could that set the precedent for the Colorado case?

IOW, will Colorado demand the 6th circuit (California) hear their case before SCOTUS, slow walking the process so that DT wouldn’t be on the ballot for the primary

I have to say, this looks coordinated with the Biden admin or dem party. Just before Christmas? Just before the start of the 2024 primary season.

I will say again, this smells of a coordinated assault on democracy by liberals.

peace to you

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Maybe but this involves a national election. I think it is more likely they all will want to be involved. Well, except for the activists on the left.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't think Colorado itself matters. It will remain Blue.

But if Colorado is not struck down then what's (other than obvious hypocrisy) to stop Red States from taking Biden off the ballot for sending money to Iran?

Colorado merely emphasized the DNC agenda. It isn't good for our nation.

But I suppose it isn't any worse. Look at the DNC and it's failure to address issues. Look at the GOP and it's complete failure to govern (even with a majority in Congress).

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. taisto

taisto Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    From what I understand, Trump is off the primary ballot, not the actual electoral ballot.

Rumor is that the Republicans may try to switch to a caucus instead of a primary to try circumvent the court.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    GOP has majority in the House of Representatives. “Congress”, if I understand correctly, includes the Senate and Dems run the Senate.

However, if you go back to the first two years of DT (17&18), the repubs did have the congress and POTUS and spent as much time undermining DT as they did passing laws.

Very Sad. The Dems, when they have power, push for as much spending as possible, knowing the repubs will cut back on anything passed.

peace to you

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, thanks for the correction. I meant the House.

As conservatives we do not have a government we can trust. Democrats can work to push their agenda. Republicans have found themselves unable to get their act together so all they can do lately is obstruct Democrats. I mean, it's the end of December and the GOP House hasn't even gotten a handle on funding the government.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    I doubt any repub would do so. Disagreements on foreign policy wouldnt qualify.

peace to you

• Like Like x 1
  17. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Maybe but ignoring the border would

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    The problem is too many repubs want to behave like Dems, only do a little less. There hasn’t been a consistent conservative agenda by repubs in congress for decades

peace to you

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, I think they way the admin has ignored federal immigration laws is criminal.

But repubs will never fight that battle because they think Hispanics might vote repub.

Plus, as Polosi said, who’s gonna do all those menial labor jobs Americans refuse to do?

peace to you

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think they will but it's not menial labor that is the deterrent to working in those jobs it is the amount of money they pay. If they stopped coming and doing that work for so cheap the industry would have to pay more.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1