1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Comments for suggestions, questions, etc.

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Michaelt, Sep 28, 2005.

1. Michaelt

Michaelt Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was saved when I was nineteen years old. I remember that evening like it was yesterday. I can still sense the smells of the fairgrounds where the revival took place, I can still see the evangelist as plain as day. I can still recall being baptized two weeks after. That was 1985, and just over two years ago, after a somewhat tumultous young adult life, I re-committed my life to Christ at my church, requested and was baptized again.

We as christians are expected to believe in quite a bit, without solid evidenciary proof to back up some beliefs. There are times when that is difficult and times when it seems to be very elementary.

To believe, to discipline oneself, to continue to thrive towards "Christ-likeness" in many respects should not be a difficult style of life, yet times I find myself confronted with things that are appealing to my senses, that are pleasing to the eye, sweet to the smell, and pleasing to the touch. Things that deep down inside I know are not right, according to scripture and the discipline of Godly living, yet there are times I find myself failing in that aspect.

Then I ask forgiveness from my heavenly Father, and yet even at some times when I am asking forgiveness, I feel ashamed, guilty, embarrassed that I am asking forgiveness for something that I should not have done in the first place. It's times like those that I feel I could thoroughly entertain an argument for the possibility of either losing the salvation that was given to me that October evening in 1985, or the possibility that I was merely going through the motions. Yet, if it was not real, then why is it so vivid in my memory? Why is it that I do not feel afraid of death, or of the rapture? Why do I look forward to spending eternity with Christ and the saints, when I have trouble keeping commandments and instruction while I'm here wading through this earthly life?

I know that a christian is known by his/her fruits, and if that entails helping people come to God and accept His gift of salvation, then I guess those who I've witnessed to and counseled and have committed to Christ would offer a small testimony to that.

Maybe it's an age thing...perhaps it's just because I'm not as learned as I should be, and perhaps it's possible that I've not "listened" to Gods voice as often as I should. I imagine also that in some ways I've kicked back on my "spiritual laurels" and have not been as much of a servant as I should.

I've listened to those who do not believe in spirituality, who do not believe in God, or the bible, or a combination of those speak in discussions and it saddens me that there are those who won't even admit the possibility of God, who don't give any credence to Christ as savior, yet who have high standards of living that make others who I know to be christians pale in comparison, sometimes including myself.

So, after going through the trainwreck that is things that I'm going through currently, would any of you more astute believers have any words of encouragement, suggestions, advice, or instruction that might help me nail down what it is that is going on in my life, and help me extinguish the "war" that I sometimes feel emblazened on the inside?

thank you for reading, and thank you for your thoughts in advance.

Woody

2. Hi Woodymdt
    [​IMG]

I too was saved in 1985 on July 26th. COOL !
    Like you I remember that day like it was yesterday.

I have thought about what you are saying in regards to myself and others, on many ocassions. Only I am the other extreme. When I got saved I turned completely around I won't name all my sins but I did do a 360, then I would wonder hey if that person is really saved why didn't they change much or why do they do this and that ?

I believe it was because of two main reasons for most, and maybe a third extra one for me.

1st one HOW ONE COMES to Christ.
    I think it makes a difference on how much one is willing to make Jesus LORD of their life when they accept him into their life. I made him Lord right off the bat in fact that is what saved me not the message or the prayer I prayed, but in my heart I wanted God to TAKE TOTAL control of my life and guide me in all things, and he did. I made it a point to give up smoking weed and cigs. I have to admit God did take away so many other desires atuomatically because I was spirit FILLED and I mean FILLED. When one is filled with the fruits of the spirit there isn't room for sin. Some people just want a savior who will get them out of trouble and give meaning to their life. They may be saved but he isn't their master in all things. Some people heard a message on Hell and just wanted a saviour to save them from eternal Hell. so again their commitment isn't as strong. I lead a neighbor to the Lord who did this and she really never grew.

But I think the biggest reason is this.

2nd Ones upbringing and temperment. I maybe wrong on this, but this is just what I have noticed.
    I would have to guess you have a fun type personality you enjoy life and tend to be spontanous and outgoing, and maybe a bit laid back. I have found that people who had trouble allowing things to control them before they were saved whether that be emotionally or physically have a hard time in those areas, even after they are saved. I hated being controled by anything, drugs, alcohol, people, relationships, emotions, anything. So I believe when I asked God to control me he did, now I have to admit things went pretty well with my totally trusting God and walking with him faithfully ( and I had tremendous trials ) till a husband and another child was added to my life, then I started taking back control in small areas of FAITH and TRUSTING God. Then after 14 years when God allowed more harder struggles nonstop then it was really hard. I have never gone back to my old ways except in one emotional area, lack of patience. I have always been the loyal type so I have remained true even when I didn't want to. Plus I believe God never allows his children to wander to far.

The 3rd thing that I believe helped me when I got saved was I was taken clear across the United States to get saved and came back 2 months later in new circumstances.

The fact that you have the right heart attitude says alot about your walk with God. Do not ever DOUBT your salvation, that is a LIE from the pit of Hell. And a tool Satan wants ALL believers to believe that they can lose their salvation and cannot be USED of God.
    We will never be perfect and will will continue to STRUGGLE with our FLESH the WORLD and DEMONS.
    The biggest indicator that you are on the right track is that you (Woodymdt) DESIRE to do Gods will ! AMEN to that.

I am not sure what you are going through so it is hard to say what YOU must do. All I know is a deeper reltaionship with God through daily PRAYER even if it starts out short at first, daily BIBLE READING and filling your mind on Godly things, music, radio, sermons this board and such will help. Remember garbage in garbage out. Commit yourself to asking God to take control of all areas of your life and do your part to abstain from things that will not benifit you. Find someone who is spiritually strong who you look up to and ask if HE will befriend you and disciple you. Or she if you are a girl I never assume anymore.

Hope that helps I'm sure there will others writing

[ September 28, 2005, 06:09 PM: Message edited by: RightFromWrong ]

3. bapmom

bapmom New Member

PrĀ 24:16
    For a just man falleth seven times, and riseth up again: but the wicked shall fall into mischief.

The just man does fall.....in fact over and over.....the difference between him and the wicked man is the just man gets back up again.

Another point is that if you were NOT saved you would have no war like this going on between your flesh and your spirit. You are experiencing the fight between your old nature and that new nature that Christ gave you upon salvation. Keep up the good fight, there are many of us out here just like ya!

4. I agree Bapmom, to an extent. One thing to remember, we do have POWER over sin that a unbeliever doesn't have. By putting on the full armor of God we can resist sin. I think the struggle Paul was talking about had more to do with desires and inner conflict than with actual OUTWARD sin behavior. Too many Christians today give IN way to easliy to what " feels " good. Hey its the way we are taught through the media and everything around us. Instant gradification

I love Christian biographys. George Muller, Brother Andrew, Corrie Tenboom, ( sorry I am having a blank on so many more ) all great Saints all showed they could live a Godly life without giving into sin, including Paul.

5. Michaelt

Michaelt Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I appreciate the thoughts. I fully understand that being christian is not an easy walk in itself, I just think at times I make it more difficult than it should be.

6. bapmom

bapmom New Member

you might be, Woody......

I think all of us do that sometimes. You might be "overthinking" it a bit too much, also. Sometimes we just have to do what we know we ought to do, and get real busy doing that, and some of these other things will fall away.

7. :confused: What do you mean BM

8. bapmom

bapmom New Member

Do you mean me, RFW? I ask because there's another lady on the board who's name is actually "BM".....but I see she hasn't posted here so Im going to assume you mean me. [​IMG]

By "overthinking", I mean that sometimes we focus on what we are struggling against SO very much that it actually BECOMES our focus again. Im just trying to say its a good strategy to "distract" yourself with doing good things for God, studying your Bible, spending some of that extra time in prayer, and ministering to others. Its actually a part of what we teach in our addictions program, but it applies to more than just substance abuse. It applies to any stronghold in our life.

9. Oh thanks for the explaination. I see what you mean now [​IMG]

10. Michaelt

Michaelt Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    and again thanks for the suggestions.

I am trying to find a place in my home that I can prepare as a "sanctum", an area where I can go to pray, meditate, read and study, without interruption. I think some time in Gods word will help pull me out of this, and with the prompting of the HS, I hope that I can report soon with some updates.

11. Be praying for you brother [​IMG]

12. Michaelt

Michaelt Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    thank you brother! [​IMG]

13. I'm a sister but thats ok ;)

14. Michaelt

Michaelt Member
    Site Supporter

Faith: