1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Common ground and points of disagreement.

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by 37818, Aug 7, 2021.

1. Lodic

Lodic Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    So our disagreement was just over the meaning of "begotten". No problem. We agree completely that Jesus has always been the Son of God. I had only brought up the early creeds because they were a good summary of essential doctrines.

2. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    My objections to them are not trivial. I personally have been banned and accused of not being orthodox over what should have been only secondary issues, I thought, before I became fully opposed to those unBiblical teachings they promote. Their failure to acknowledge the Son as sole Creator on behalf of God the Father.

#42 37818, Aug 24, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2021
  3. Lodic

Lodic Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    What do you mean by "sole Creator"? God consists of Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, so how could Jesus be the sole Creator? John 1:1-2 does not say that Jesus was the sole Creator, but that "all things came into being through Him". OTOH, Genesis 1:1 tells us that "God created the Heaven and the earth". Having said that, getting banned is rather extreme and unfair, especially if you were just having a discussion such as this one.

4. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Holy Spirit Himself was right there with the father in Genesis 1!

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The entire Godhead were partners in creation?

6. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    What does John 1:3 teach?

7. Lodic

Lodic Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    While all things came into being through Jesus, this does not teach He is the sole creator. That would contradict Genesis 1:1-2.

8. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What was the Holy Spirit doing there then?

9. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    So "All things" does not really mean "without him was not any thing made that was made."

10. Lodic

Lodic Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Other than hovering over the waters, I don't know. All I know for sure is that He was present.

11. Lodic

Lodic Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is not what I said at all. The Scriptures contain many passages that say God created everything. In particular, Isaiah 44:24, the Father says "I, the Lord, am the maker of all things, stretching out the heavens by Myself and spreading out the earth alone". Having said that, the Trinity is a very difficult concept to comprehend, even if we've been following Christ for decades.

#51 Lodic, Aug 24, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2021
  12. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    No. According to John 1:18 and John 14:6 the only Son spoke to Isaiah.

13. Lodic

Lodic Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Both those passages show that Christ reveals the Father. What's your point?

14. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Brethren let me hop in here for just a minute and give you my thoughts... The Trinity as Lodic said is very difficult concept to comprehend, even if we've been following Christ for decades... I have been doing that over 50 years... We understand there are three persons in the Trinity but not 3 Gods but one God in three... Each in counsel and in unison of the other and in complete agreement... God the Eternal Father, the Creator, God. God the Eternal Son Jesus Christ, the Savior and the last person in the Godhead, that lets them know that they have been saved and without him none are... Is God The Holy Spirit, who is alone (without the help of any man) the Regenerator... Who is responsible for the New Birth!... All three work together in the Salvation of just one sinner... YOU!... Brother Glen:)

Btw... I also include me with the sinner and these are my thoughts alone, though you may disagree.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Either the Son actually acts on behalf of the Father or the Trinity are not distinct Persons. The Son is the reason for the Trinity and the reason for creation. Colossians 1:16, ". . . all things were created by him, and for him: . . ."

16. Lodic

Lodic Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Again, the fact that all things were created through Christ does not mean created solely through Christ. And again, Scripture records over and over that God created everything. Is this another disagreement over semantics, or are you having trouble with the roles of Father and the Son in the Trinity?

17. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The roles are the reason God is a Trinity of Persons. God cannot be God and not be a Trinity of Persons.
    All three Persons are the one and the same God. So either the roles set them apart as distinct Persons or they are not they. Deuteronomy 6:4, "Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: . . ." The LORD is not made up of parts. Each distinct Person are fully the one and the same LORD.

18. Lodic

Lodic Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of course God is One in essence but three in Person. They were all present in the Creation.

19. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    They are all the one and the same God. Jesus Christ being the primary agent of creation, Ephesians 3:9 KJV. Also from the cross, Hebrews 1:3.

20. Lodic

Lodic Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    While the passages you point to show Christ was involved in Creation, they do not show He was the primary agent of Creation. Why is this such a big deal, though? That is, what difference does it really make whether we believe Creation was primarily done by the Father (my view) or by the Son (your view)?