1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Common Ground Coffee House #111

Discussion in '2008 Archive' started by I Am Blessed 24, Nov 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

Good morning all,

I think 'Mother Nature' has a hormone problem! The temps are up and down.

We are left with almost a foot of snow from our last winter storm and sub-zero weather. This morning, it is so foggy that I can hardly see the house across the street and it is going to rain and be 52º this afternoon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brent is going to school today, he doesn't want to mess up his perfect attendance, but he still has a rough cough.

Seems like he isn't the only one who came home from the winter retreat sick. I've talked to two other mothers and their kids came home sick too.

Could it have been from playing games outside at night, and laying on the wet winter ground, with temps in the 20's???

I am going to do the taxes today with Turbo Tax. I have put it off long enough. I usually have them sent in by the end of January, but I've put it off this year because of all the ebay stuff I've got to sort through.

Thanks for making coffee, Tanya! I left some homemade cinnamon rolls on the counter.

HAGD!

2. Friend of God

Friend of God Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good Morning Everybody,

Hellooooo [hello..hello..hello] Wow. There's an echo in here.

Thanks for the coffee Tanya, but I like my caffeine cold in the morning, so I'll just grab a diet Mt. Dew.

I just talked to Brenda and her doctor has ordered two more doses of the steroid she has her on, and has ordered a CT scan just to make sure everything is okay in the head. If everything comes back okay from the scan and after the steroids she'll probably send her home.

We has a Winter Storm Warning issued for last night and early this morning, but it must have missed us. That's okay I wasn't looking forward to freezing rain anyway.

I'm going up to see Brenda in a little while, then will stop and do some grocery shopping.

I brought in Eggs, pancakes, sausage ,bacon, and sausage gravy and biscuits. Enjoy.

3. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Good morning everyone!

Guess what's blooming in my yard? Yep, I said blooming. I have two tiny crocuses blooming in my front bed. I don't know how it is they have lived this long as I can't get anything hardly to last from year to year there because of the oak tree that grows at the end of the bed, but, somehow these two bloom every year. While we were looking over the house Tanya wants we even saw daffodils blooming. Those were well protected though, with a building on one side of them and a hill on the other. Still, I'm loving these early signs of spring!

Another sign of spring.....thunderstorms! Tomorrow is supposed to bring an entire day of them with possibly a tornado on the side.

Today I'm putting in zippers as long as my hands hold out. There are three prom dresses that have to have new zippers so that's my job today. I need to get them out so I can start Easter sewing. Easter is in March this year. I much prefer it when Easter is in April. Gives me longer to sew. :D

Thanks for the breakfast! See ya'll later!

4. menageriekeeper

All right now, ya'll! Time to get up and smell the coffee and the Chik fil a. Some of you have voting to do today so get up and get at it! :D

My vote is cast. I voted in the Republican primary. T voted in the Democratic. :D The most interesting part of the ballot was the vote for delegates! We had some interesting characters show up as potential delegates. :laugh:

The rest of today will be spent ridding my hair of gray, cleaning this house a bit and sewing. Tanya and I made a deal to bring dresses we've been putting off for a while cause we're sorta bored making them, to the church today. Maybe the two of us together can make ourselves finish these things before their intended children outgrow them! :laugh:

Ya'll have good rainy, stormy, wet Tuesday!

5. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Good morning everyone! It's a gloomy day here but that's OK. Other than having to run out after the girls get home to pick up something from the store, I'm home! :D Robby was supposed to have a play date with a friend but we just got a call from the boy's dad saying that his wife was in the hospital with a kidney stone so we'd have to cancel for today. Poor dear!

So, not much going on - I'm leading a pretty boring life these days. The only thing I'm kind of panicking on is that I have to write an article by Monday for a newsletter and I'm not sure what to write on! Please pray that I have some wonderful inspiration and write a halfway decent article. LOL!!

I left fresh blueberry muffins (hit Costco and need to use up those blueberries) and stuff to make smoothies in the fridge. I left out the blender so enjoy!

6. Gayla

Gayla New Member

Hello Everybody!!:wavey:

Tomorrow is chemo day and our tenth anniversary!

Tanya, Cindi, I'd like to see pics of these houses y'all are looking at. They sound, um, interesting.

Y'all have fun!:wavey: :thumbs:

7. Friend of God

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good Morning Everybody,

It is 30 degrees with freezing rain here. We are forecasted either 2-4" or 4-6"of snow this afternoon and evening[depending on which forecaster you believe.] Right now outside is a skating rink, and police are warning people to stay off the roads for non-essential travel.

Brenda came home yesterday and is spending some time resting[ she had a noisy roommate with a loud TV. Not really condusive to rest and quiet for somebody with a migraine.]

Gayla: Thoughts and prayers are with you during your chemo. :praying:

Guess we'll just wait out the storm and see what happens. The last "big storm" we were supposed to have was a dud.We got maybe and inch of snow intead of the mountain that was predicted.

Has anybody heard anything from my Cuz and her Cuz [Tanya]? Heard about the Tornados and storms that raced thru the South, and praying that everybody;s okay. :praying:

8. PJ

PJ Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    HAPPY ANNIVERSARY Gayla!! Hope you feel good enough following chemo to go out and have some fun with your sweetheart! :godisgood:

9. menageriekeeper

We're here, Cuz.

About 3 this morning my four legged, organic based weather alarms(namely 2 huskies and 2 puppies) woke me up before the tornado siren went off. The puppies were in the house but they could hear the huskies fussing because I hadn't closed the garage door and it was lightening. Mind you they were IN the garage, just door wasn't shut. :rolleyes: So I got up and closed the garage door and went to let the puppies out for a quick business trip and when I opened the front door I could hear the siren. My weather radio for some reason hadn't gone off.

Turned the TV on in time to see that the tornado was south of us but we were in for a nice T-storm so I made the kids come downstairs. Cass came down with a nice migraine already in progress. Went back to the tv and discovered that the tornado the warning was issued for, had touched down around T's parents house. We had a scary few minutes until they answered the phone. They were okay, but without power. they didn't think they had any damage, but it being dark and still storming, they weren't going outside to find out.

By this time the whole house was up except Cass who had taken her meds and went back to sleep in my bed. Since the line of storms was still coming across we stayed up. About 4:30 another storm started up in our direction so I called Tanya and made her bring her kids to my house. :D

That storm ended up not being quite as severe as the first and then it went north of us. So we here in our town dodged both. Tanya got to go home about 6:30.

We slept for an hour and then got back up and dressed and headed for T's parents. The hill they live on runs pretty much from north to south and the road follows the hill. If you come in the north end and drive south the road forks about a quarter mile from the entrance and up a huge woodsey hill. Before we reached the fork we saw debris. Sheets of metal were laying here and there. This is just forest at this point, no houses yet. To get to T's parents house you don't take the fork but stay straight and go on up the hill. The first houses were fine, the metal hadn't come from there and we were a little surprised. T's parents live about a mile on down and all was fine. No damage up to their house.

From T's parents to where my MIL's friend lives is exactly one mile. I used to walk it when we lived up there. There's a cemetary and then a few homes (houses and trailers) all belonging to the same family and then my MIL's friend. The tornado came up the hollow took out most of the home on the west side of the road, trees are down everywhere, took part of the metal roof off the house across the road and took out a trailer sitting just to the north of that house and also a metal garage/storage building sitting just to the south of that house. Left the house itself. Then it continued down the next hollow and on up the next hill.

My MIL's friend had the porches detach from her trailer which sits on the next hill south. The trailer itself seems fine.

None of that explained the metal we had seen so on our way back out we took the fork. The fork road follows a branch of the hill and runs sort of parallel to the main road. The tornado had followed it's path from the first homes NE to a couple of more trailers that were just down the fork. That sheet metal had been picked up from one of those trailers, blown over all those tall trees and landed at the base of the hill. Not a pretty sight.

There were injuries, though at this point I don't know just who or how bad the injuries were. At least four residences were completely destroyed. The damages there are nothing we're told compared to what happened just to the SE of the hill around the town of Berry in Fayette County. The reports are still coming in from there and we didn't have time to drive that way though it's only about 10 miles from T's folks. Less if you're a bird.

So, it's been an exciting morning. I'm finishing off my second pot of coffee trying to stay awake and I need to go e-mail Cass' teachers cause she's not going to make it at all today.

Ya'll have a good day and you folks in Georgia pay attention. I think it's headed your way next, but probably not as severe. The storms seemed to be weakening as they passed through and out of Alabama.

10. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

MK - How scary that must have been!! I'm glad you're all alright.

Not much going on here. It's cloudy and warm - we're supposed to break records! I'm just hanging around doing homeschooling and some chores and tonight is the Wednesday night stuff at church so I'll go work the Welcome Center (to help anyone who needs info or anything).

Not much else going on - life is boring, huh? Oh I know one new thing - I need to get the pics online but my 15 year old got her hair cut. It was mid back and it's now above her shoulders - and she looks so cute!! I love it, DH doesn't but then again, how many men like short hair! :)

11. menageriekeeper

Happy Wedneday Everyone!

I have the hot cocoa ready and I lit a fire in the fireplace. Ya'll come check in so we'll know you are still alive. I can't believe no one has been in here in a week!

My excuse is that on Thursday I discovered out hot water heater leaking out the bottom. Luckily it was pouring water so we didn't(or don't think we have) lose flooring. Some of my hard wood did get soaked, but so far there hasn't been any swelling. It took all day Thursday to find a replacement that would fit in the under the stairs closet the old one was in. Somewhere in the last 20 or so years hot water heaters have been redesigned. They don't even make one the same size and diminsions as the old one. :eek: We finally located one that would fit and heat enough water in Birmingham. At Lowe's. Lowes that didn't have this model listed on their website and could have saved me a day of running around if they had! So Friday was spent installing. Let me tell ya. Never assume that all the doors in your house are the same size. The water heater fit the closet just fine. AFTER we took the door stops off the door facing.

Of course, having ones hot water heater burst is not enough excitement for one weekend. I don't know why, but it's not. So Friday night, after having had a busy day and an exciting date with Dale, Cass wakes me up to tell me how bad she feels and that she is running a temp. We just had a cold two weeks ago! By Saturday evening her ears are aching, so I think we might as well go to After Hours and get her checked out. An ear infection was to simple of a thing to have. She has the flu. By Sunday, Chris was down with it, so he got a trip to the doc on Monday. Sunday evening Jenna says her stomach hurts. She never ran a fever but she stayed home the last two days too.

PTL for Tamiflu! Cass was back to school yesterday. Chris did not run fever all day yesterday and I'm hoping he feels better today. Jenna's bug ran it's course and disappeared so she went back today too.

So that was my last week, how's everyone else been? :eek:

I know there's been snow and ice all over the northren half of the country. Have you all frozen solid? Brrr! Just looking at the news pics makes me shiver!

Tanya's off to Arkansas for a funeral (her DH's grandfather). Hopefully, she'll get home today or tomorrow. Yes, they took all 7 children.

Today is Miss Jenna's 10th birthday. She is very glad that she felt much better this morning so she could go to school and show everyone her new North Face jacket that she recieved for her birthday. :rolleyes: I keep telling myself that at least she didn't ask for toys or video games and I would have spent just as much on those as I did this jacket, but somehow I'm still having trouble with it. I feel like I've failed in my mission to keep fad items out of my household. Jenna, however, is fully proud of her new "cool" jacket and she needed it this morning because it is SNOWING!

I can't get over how it can been in the upper 60's one day and snowing the next. But that's what we have!

The rest of the day will be spent doing a bushel of stuff that either didn't get done with the kids sick or was previously scheduled. Cass has a doctor's appointment, I have to grocery shopping, that sort of stuff. But I should be back around later this evening.

Ya'll have a good day!

12. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

MK - We had the same kind of weather as you but just the opposite. On Monday, I bundled up in long johns, wool pants, fleece layers, heavy coat, hat (you KNOW it's cold if I'm wearing a hat), 2 pairs of gloves and a scarf over my face. It was very windy and 13 degrees. We didn't even put the horses out for the day and when I put Whirl out in his paddock. He felt the need to get goofy but quickly realized if he did that, he'd break a leg. He let out one wiggle and buck then stopped, walked to where the ground wasn't so holey (from his feet in the mud that had made huge holes and now were frozen), then let out a few more bucks. Silly boy! Yesterday we had a few inches of snow - it was beautiful!! Then at bedtime, it was freezing rain - everything was coated. Now it's 55 degrees at 10AM!! So Monday at 5PM it was 13 degrees, today at 10AM it's 55. Quite a difference!! Oh - and today is POURING! If this were snow, OH the fun we'd have!

The big excitement here was that on Thursday, the high school boy's room had this written on a stall wall "2/11/08 I am going to shot everybody Everybody dies" SOOOOOOO, the county police have come in and have been at the school since. It's been a lock down with the kids having to enter through one door (the rest of the doors are locked with a staff member there), with a group of K9 police sniffing the backpacks, purses, coats and such, and the police searching the kids. About 2/3 of the kids were out of school on Monday out of fear, although I sent mine. I figure that there's pretty much nothing that can happen with that much security. It's sad that we're going through this kind of thing. Oh - and I texted Nicole on Monday to see how it was going and she e-mailed me back (in one class she has internet access and she'll e-mail me at times). She said she was "attacked".....I get scared until I read the rest of the e-mail:

"Oh and while I was leaving the auditorium I got "attacked" by one of the dogs with his tail wagging and sniffing me saying "PET ME! LOVE
    ME! PLAY WITH ME!!!!!! Do I smell ppj on your breath? can I have some? PLEASE!!!!!! Forget the guns! I want some LOOOOVVVVEEEEEE!!!!!""

Thank goodness I have a good heart - and she's too much like me. LOL! It was a little levity in a bad situation.

So, other than that fun, nothing much has gone on. It looks like my oldest got an $8,000 scholarship to the school she wants to go to. That's good but we really need more than that. Now it's time to wait and see what the financial aid will get us. SIGH They feel we can pay $11,000 a year on our salary. BWAHAHAHAHA!! If we had $11,000, we'd be taking nice vacations each year - HIRE someone to finish this 1/2 bath that's taking a year and a half - maybe even get a new car! They're on drugs, I tell you!!

13. menageriekeeper

I hear ya about the tuition thing! Seems financial aid folk think only the student has to have clothes, books, and food. The rest of the family is supposed to do without! :eek:

Hmmm, our school drama isn't nearly as exciting as yours. Your kind of thing makes me want to get ahold of the kid who wrote back behind the wood shed. He's probably off giggling somewhere at all the excitement he caused without having any real idea of how much trouble he's caused all the folks involved.

Our kids usually call in bomb threats to get out of school. :rolleyes: Last time it backfired on them. See you have time those calls just right. Call to early and the building gets checked and school goes on. Call to late and the run everyone to the football field while the school is inspected. These wiseguys called about 7:15. Too late! The school casually sent the arriving students to the football field where they stayed for the next 2-3 hours until it was confirmed to be just a prank. Of course the first suspects were those kids who hadn't shown up that morning. :D Too bad it's against policy to tell us what action the school takes but I'm suspecting they were expelled and probably faced some time down at our local "boot camp" for juviniles.

That was last year. Yesteday's big excitement was the 3 girls who got caught smoking pot out behind the school. I told Cass to expect to be locked down today while they did a drug sweep of the school. I'm kinda surprised they didn't do one yesterday. I just hope they get it done before I have to check Cass out for her appointment or wait til after we leave. Once they are there, no one moves out of their rooms till the police are through.

14. I Am Blessed 24

Good morning everyone!

I believe my schedule is slowing down. I feel bad I haven't been able to stop in more often. That will change!

It is 21º this morning and I am sure ready for spring to arrive!

Brent left early yesterday morning to go to Dwight, IL, for a two-day basketball tournament. He will be home very late tonight and then a three-day week end. :applause:

I slept for 12 straight hours last night! I don't ever remember doing that, but I've been missing some sleep lately, so I guess I needed it.

I brought Miss Cali home from the animal hospital yesterday afternoon after having her spayed. It's Miss Kitty's turn next.

In honor of my 'return', I have left bacon, sausage, eggs, pancakes, grits, biscuits, milk, and OJ on the warming plates for y'all.

Eat hearty!
    §ue :wavey:

15. menageriekeeper

MMMmmmm, Thanks for breakfast Sue even though I ate it for lunch! :laugh:

I'm ready for spring too, Sue! I have things I'd like to get done outside and it's just too cold for my joints. My Cuz must be froze in up there in Michigan cause he hasn't checked in lately either.

Well the running never ceases around here! Yesterday, I realized that in all the shuffle of the last few days that T's dad had given us the title to Cass car so we could put in our name. So I ran down to the courthouse to do just that only to be told that T had to do it cause my name wasn't on the title! So they gave me a power of attorney form for T to sign allowing me to see to it. Problem being, T was in B'ham at work and didn't get home till late.

So this morning I'm about to get out the form and have him sign it so I can go back today when he says "I gotta get my drivers liscense renewed". Problem solved. Drivers liscense renewals are just down the counter from tags and titles! :) Of course we had to be there at 8:30 so he could go on in to work.

So the rest of today is being spent cleaning house, going to Walmart for Jenna some cleats and a batting helmet and taking own little self out to the sewing store for a new foot I've been wanting for my sewing machine.

Ya'll have a good day!

16. Friend of God

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good Afternoon Everybody,

You're right Cuz, it has been awhile since I've been here. Brenda got the results of the echogram on her heart and it shows some minor valve damage. Otherwise known as a "leaky valve." Her Cardiologist says that the damage is very minor and will bear watching, but otherwise no need for medication...right now.

Thanks for the breakfast, Sue. I've been too busy lately to do much.

Hope everybody had a nice Valentines Day. Isn't it great that all candy given as gifts is calorie-free? :saint: [well, I was always told it was, anyway.]

Ann: Count your blessings Sis. Hopefully all your 'threat" is some kid wanting the day off from school; but, after watching what happened at N, Illinois you casn never be too careful.

Gkids go to their Dad's this weekend and come back Sunday afternoon.

Hopefully things will calm down a bit around here and I can visit more regularly.

17. J.Wayne

J.Wayne New Member

I really do not have any excuse for not being here, but I do have a reason...I did not know, until just a few minutes ago, that this coffee house existed.

I am willing to become a part of this coffee house if and only if, you also serve Sprite. Even though I wish, oft times, that I could have caffiene, simply for the hope that it might allow my brain to perk up every now and then, I have refrained from it's use since the placement of my 4 little buddies in the left ascending artery, 5 years ago.

I was invited by this very pleasant lady, (now would be a perfect time for the perk), and for the life of me, I can not remember her name. she told me that this was a great place to be, when you needed good Christian fellowship.

I guess that, many would consider me a newbie to the forum world, and most would be right. I have been addicted, now for the past several months (can't even remember when I got started).

I started on one site and was there for quite a while, until I began to see things happening that were not pleasing to me or would not be pleasing to God. I have since been trying to find another site that possibly, I might be able to call home.

In my searching, it has become more and more evident that alot of the sites only use the "Christian" word to snag people. My son told me that I needed to find one that better followed my beliefs, so I googled Baptist forums and found this site.

All, I am looking for is somewhere that I may be apart of true Christian fellowship. I want to be surrounded by those who are not afraid of sharing their love for God, and those who will not condemn me if (when) I have a difference of opinion. I am tired of others telling me that I do not have any right to think the way I do. God, to my understanding did give each of us the ability to think , did He not?.

Anyways, enough of that. I am 49 (50 in July), married (32 years in July), we have three wonderful children (strong minded and stubborn...no idea where that comes from...(oh yeah their mama is of German decent), and am most assured that it has nothing to do with my Scottish (clan was run out), Irish, English and Indian (Cherokee) linage...could be? Right? Well they are or well let's just say wiil be, since their birthdays are coming up...Micheal 31, Alicia 19, and Matthew 17. Oh yeah we have a 5 month old too...his name is BigFoot, and his heritage is quite different to say the least. He is half Lab mix (no one knows what the mix is, other than his mama and daddy, and he ain't talking), and half Blue Heeler. He is also in that devilish stage right now, same as the "terrible two's".

I am very active in church. I am an usher, sing in the choir (attempt to), am a greeter, do the bullentins, design and publish our newsletter, and am also, along with Michael, co-leader for our OutReach Movement Ministry. Other than that, I lead a very boring existence.

I am disabled (since 2004), and Michael is the only one that works. If not for God, I would have called it quits already. He is the only thing that keeps my head above water...PRAISE HIS HOLY NAME!

I am really hoping that i will be able to fit in here. Thanks for listening, and to ??, thank you for the invite. I promise I will go back and look, and never forget your name again.

GBY all and may He keep you all snug in His arms in everything that you do.

P.S. I just had to go look. It was Sue (I am Blessed 17). Now that just sent a chill down my spine (what little is still left). Sue is the name of my "Best Friend", could this mean something?

18. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Just stopping in to set up the coffee for the morning and turn out the lights. yeah, I know - it's amost 1 AM and I should be in bed but there were issues elsewhere that I had to deal with.

So, the excitement at school has settled down to nothing which is a good thing. I like no excitement!

Had a long day at work and a night with an extremely crabby 7 year old. It was so weird - he made a thing at homeschool group which was a styrofoam form covered in vanilla icing and then covered in candy. He came home, asked if he could have some of the candy, I said "Yes" and he ate a few then started crying. He wanted it back the way it was before he ate the candy. HUH??? Well buddy, can't do that, can we?? So he CRIED, and CRIED and CRIED!! I finally figured out that he must be getting sick - it's the only reason I could think of! He NEVER is like this -EVER! So we'll see what tomorrow brings.

Rob - when is the move? What's going on with all of that?

And welcome to the coffee house J! It's nice to "meet" you! I hope that you enjoy our little corner of the board. :)

19. I Am Blessed 24

Good morning all!

Brent didn't get home from the away tourament until midnight so I folded his papers for him this morning. He may be too tired to deliver them on his bike, in which case I will drive him.

Welcome Wayne and hear ya go! We aim to please.

[​IMG]

Got to get Brent up and see if I have to start the car. It's 19º this morning with a 'flood warning' out for tonight. We are supposed to get another 2 inches of rain and there is no place for it to go after all of the snow we've had...

Have a great day and I'll check back in later!
    §ue :flower:

#399 I Am Blessed 24, Feb 16, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2008
  20. Friend of God

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good Afternoon Everybody,

Ann:We didn't get the house. The day we were supposed to close we were told that there was a dispute about the assessment on the house & property. We only had about 3 different assessments made, and the lender's opinion was that the house and property wern't what their value was assessed at. So, we're still looking...again. :BangHead:

Welcome to the Coffeehouse and the BB Wayne.

Not much going on around here. We have a Freezing Rain Advisory for tonight and tomorrow morning, but then the temps are supposed to rise to 44 tomorrow and the freezing rain becomes all rain. If you don't like the weather in Michigan etc., etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.