1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Common Ground Coffee House #115

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by I Am Blessed 24, Dec 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

I always did enjoy it when the playground wasn't crowded. :p

I just woke up, even though I went to bed earlier than normal. The strep is winning over the antibiotic, so I'll have to go back to the doctor. Blah!

There's nothing too exciting planned for today. Maybe some cleaning. I haven't finished reading Anna Karenina yet, but couldn't wait to start on The Trial, so I'm carrying both around with me from bedroom to living room, and reading bits of the trial when I get tired of trying to pronounce all the names in the other one.

Ooohhh, an Olive Garden commercial! One day I'm gonna go back there and get the braised short ribs and portabella dish...soooo yummy! yum yum yum yum yum

2. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

La la la la la....stuck in my room. Three new windows are being installed and I didn't wanna be out there where they're working, so I'm in my room. They said I had to be here while they were, but they didn't say I had to be in eyesight, so I said hi, grabbed doggie, and here I am!

Carl's got the kidlets with him because Rachel has a doctor's appt., and the three oldest are with the church so it's quiet. The workmen are either are using silencers on their drills or I'm just so used to the noise level being this high that I *think* it's really quiet in here!

3. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

I'm gonna have to bring myself a tetherball thingie in here. Now THAT is a game that's fun to play alone! Can't tell you how many times I got hit playing that game as a child. Alone. Which made it hysterically funny imo. Might explain my current wackiness. Hrm.

4. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Tetherball is the game that's popular at the camp I was just at. There are two set up outside the dining room and it's what the kids do as they are waiting to be allowed in for a meal. :)

Right now we're experiencing some decent thunderstorms so I brought the horses in at lunch time (I'm taking care of them again for my friends). I'll be heading back down when there is a break to feed them dinner and get them set up for the morning. Other than that, things are pretty quiet. We have a camp at church in the evenings for the girls so it's just been hubby, my son and myself at night. I keep encouraging them to do a "guys' night out" so I can be home alone. ;)

5. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

*faint*

There IS life out there!

Would finding an ad for a cool pizza place, complete with photos of yummy looking slices of pizza and ice cold drinks, shown to them at the appropriate moment (ie whle they're hungry and you just happened to fail to defrost anything to make for dinner) be of any encouragement to them?

6. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Unfortunately no. Hubby doesn't like pizza.

BUT my plan is taco salad. I have the ground beef precooked so I'll toss it in the microwave (it's frozen), mix in the seasoning then wash lettuce and tomatoes and put everything on the table. Ta-da!! Dinner! :D

I just got back from the barn for the third time and while 103 was stinkingly hot, 79 with 98% humidity is a different kind of sinking. LOL I literally dripped sweat the entire time I was there! Now I'm sitting in the den with the a/c on waiting to dry.

7. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Good morning everyone!

Not much going on in the menagerie for a change today. Can I just tell you how much I appreciate a quiet and cool house all at the same time??? :D

I finally gave in a call the ac guy out here and 20 minutes later my house began to cool down and by that evening it was a glorious 72 degrees both upstairs and down. The good thing about having no air was that bad kitty had to come downstairs and get over the attitude she had because we dared bring two new kittens into the menagerie. It wasn't enough of a blessing to keep me from calling the ac guy though!

We never got out of the 90's. The weather guy kept promising rain and cooler air, but just goes to show, he doesn't control the weather, cause it all went north of us except one tiny shower yesterday that only increased the humidity! Our next "chance" of a shower is Saturday! I'm thinking if all the humidity in the air would fall to ground, the grass could grow and my power bill wouldn't be so stinking high!

I think I hear my sewing machine calling so that will give me the excuse to stay indoors today!

8. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

On the news the other night, the weather man said that our average temp for July so far was 91.4 degrees. July's normal average is 83 degrees. In order to stay at the normal this year, we'd need to average 79 degrees the rest of the month which I don't think is happening. We're just into the 70s overnight but during the day, we've been consistently in the 80s and 90s. It's HOT! We don't have central air but we have 4 good sized window/wall units that we "play" to keep the house comfortable. The one in my bedroom is on from 6pm to about 8am and the one in the den is on from 8am to about 11 pm. The one in the living room is on at 7am and runs to about 10 or 11 pm and then the upstairs unit is on full time (it's HOT up there). But we've been keeping comfortable.

The toughest thing in this weather is providing interesting food for the family without having to cook too much or making my asthmatic/eczema covered husband stand out in the heat and humidity over the grill. My kids are beginning to hate lettuce. LOL

9. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

The heat warnings here are set to expire Thursday night. YAY!

Glad you gals are staying cool enough. It's definitely summer!

I broke down and we have store-bought bread again until it gets cooler. It's kinda yucky when you're not used to it, but it's cool to have it so perfectly sliced.

10. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Your heat warnings are set to expire and ours are set to start! Today will be the last day in the 80s for the forseeable future. We're heading into the 90s for at least the next 4 days!! Bleck!! I have to say I'm getting really tired of trying to provide dinner in this ickiness! I want stew!!!

11. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Oh yuck, I'm sorry! This weather is nasty.

Rachel has her dental surgery tomorrow. We had planned on getting up early for a short zoo trip before the 90 degrees hit, but we'd forgotten that. It's been scheduled for months because they're booked. Another reason to dislike big cities!

I dreamed I was swimming, and apparently my body believed it. My swimming motions ripped the sheets off the corners of the bed, and all my swimming muscles are sore. One of my oddest dreams ever...manmade waterway and all the swimming critters were fake, made by Oklahomans, and would come rushing down the waterway and you'd have to move over. Some whacko made a fake car instead of a fake otter, and it came zooming down and my one daughter didn't see it, got caught in the undertow, and
    I swam to rescue her, but she popped up and was just fine.

12. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Whew, it's been so hot and icky!

Everyone but me tested positive for strep, and that's probably just because I didn't go and get tested. The doc gave hubby a prescription for me anyhow, so it's a good thing I didn't waste my time or money anyhow!

I'm EXHAUSTED! Last night was insomnia, so I was going to make bread while the house was still cool enough, then I ended up just making yeast rolls and stuffing them with ham and cheese so breakfast would be ready. I went to bed around 7 am.

Saturday's are special family nights where we either go out and have fun or we stay home and do something together, and also usually have a special treat or dessert since four of five kids have dietary restrictions on sugar. Tonight was family movie night, so we watched Planet 51. (well, they did, I made everyone popcorn but the tv kinda hurts my eyes but reading doesn't as much, so I'm working on finishing Crime and Punishment) We figured out that Greek Seasoning on popcorn is amazingly yummy! I could not BELIEVE how much popcorn these people can eat! We're thinking our son is going through a growth spurt...for dinner he had two cheeseburgers on onion buns (not tiny burgers either, homemade fat ones! and a huge scoop of pasta veggie salad, half an apple, some sugar-free kool-aid, goldfish crackers, and tons of popcorn. Now he's asking for more. He reminds me of my oldest...she's always been a tiny thing, but can eat her weight in food. She won't eat much meat, but does have an occasional steak and really enjoys it.

Hope all is well with everyone else, and that you are able to stay cool in what seems to be a practically nation-wide heatwave!

13. Melanie

Melanie Active Member
    Site Supporter

I am off on holiday as of Wednesday, flying out of the beautiful Wanganui and winging to hideously boring Auckland.....I have only ever been to the airport there so I probably do not know what I am talking about.

Then across the Tasman Sea to Brisneyland to see the folks and friends I have left behind when I upped and moved across the ditch. The winter weather is foul according to mum (20C).....I am looking forward to that though I may find it HOT:laugh:. I hope I haven't picked up a kiwi accent and I shall try not to say things like "sweet as..." "good as gold", and "bro".

she'llbeappleseh:wavey:

14. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

As was said to Hannah, Woman, PUT AWAY THY DRINK FROM THEE! Are you speaking English?

(okay, so the English part wasn't in there!) :laugh:

I do gather from the post that you are going somewhere that sounds like it should be fun, but you're expecting poor weather? I do believe you, your word is as good as gold with me, bro. (*duck*)

Hopefully you have/had a good time.

We got some much needed rain and it cooled off a bit out here. Yay! Still waiting for a cooler day so we can go back to the zoo for the millionth time. I'd live there if it wasn't for the heat!

15. Friend of God

Friend of God Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good Afternoon Everybody,

I agree with everybody complaining about the heat. Ours finally broke yesterday. Pretty sad when you can say you look forward to 80 degree temps isn't it?

Been too hot to actually do anything. Gkids have been staying in where it's cool, and basically so has everybody else.

Cooking has been a challenge in the heat. Our family are not big salad eaters, so that's out for a main dish [with the exception of fruit salads].
    Been trying to include cold fruit with most meals to take the place of salad, other than that our dinners have been about the same as we usually have.

We've celebrated three birthdays and our 24th Wedding Anniversary.

Other than that not much else going on, just the same day-old routines.

Everybody have fun and stay cool.

16. Spinach

Spinach New Member

The heat wave here seems to have broken and I'm relieved.

Today I get to design my hall pantry. I'm thrilled! My younger son will help me because he is really into building.

Other than that, it's a fairly restful day.

17. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

The sun shines, but only dimly.
    The air, filled with a hazy smoke hangs as a large cloud over the city.
    Experts tell us that with every breathe, we breathe 115 times more particles of smoke or pollution than what is considered safe.
    Those with asthma and other respiratory conditions are strongly advised to stay indoors.
    I live in "Sunny Alberta," and at present we have no forest fires, but they are so severe to the west of us in British Columbia, across the Rockies, that the smoke has become very dense here.
    If I didn't know better I would think that it was the beginning of the Tribulation.

18. following-Him

following-Him Active Member

Definitely an autumnal feel to the weather here in the UK. I just hope I can get the garden tidied for the winter before the really wet weather sets in.

19. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

It is still hot in Alabama, though not as bad as a couple of weeks ago. Amazing what a difference 10 degrees makes.

20. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

It cooled out here, thank you thank you thank you! I thought we were all gonna melt into nasty puddles of goop.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.