1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Communion Bread Recipie?

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by TomVols, Jun 28, 2003.

1. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I've seen recipies for this before, but haven't saved any of them in my files (pastor's curse!). Anyone have one that I can file away? I know from time to time you'll see these in SBC magazines.

2. Bob Farnaby

Bob Farnaby Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Communion Bread Recipie? ..
    Go to supermarket,
    buy loaf,
    break it with God's people.

[​IMG]

Regards
    Bob

3. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would recommend using commerically bought Matzo (about $2 a box). We have a church of 200 and a box will last 2-3 communion services.

Most of the homemade bread we've tried in the past were like lousy pie crust.

Unleavened bread and unleavened wine (real) follow the symbolism of the original ceremony done by Jesus.

4. Haruo

Haruo New Member

Note that while the Western churches tend to go for matzoh-like unleavened bread, most of the Eastern churches I've heard from insist on leavened bread, on the theory that while Ry-Krisp may have been fine at the Last Supper, we latter-day saints ought to be symbolizing the fact that "He is risen!"

Haruo

5. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You need to think hardtack, Dr. Bob.

6. Doc Yankum

Doc Yankum New Member

The bread bought at the SBC Book Store tastes like styroform. My wife has made the bread, making a dough using plain flour and water. She experimented with the porportions and got it right. It is tricky in the oven; it's easy to over bake. After about three tries she got that part right also. At our church the deacons rotate the communion service. In about three years we will bypass the styrofoam and serve some genuine unleavened bread again. By the way, we also use fermented wine.

7. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    For those in the right part of the country, tortillas are a good subsitute. At my local tortillaria, (for a mega-church) I can buy a stack of 50 taco size flour tortillas for 2USD. (For smaller assemblies) Safeway sells a stack of ten for the same price. Cut them up into pieces and you've got enough unleavened bread to feed the multitude. Any leftovers can be toasted the next Friday night for the chips and dip at the teen activity. ;)