1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Communion/Eucharist

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Elk, Aug 20, 2008.

1. Elk

Elk New Member

Can someone direct me to a place here or on the internet that really gets into depth on communion and mostly a deep discussion on Scripture about this.
    Thanks so very kindly.

2. Beth

Beth New Member

Not sure whre you are going with this

I'm not sure where you are coming from, but this is an excellent dvd which will explain why the Catholic view of the eucharist is in error.

http://www.chick.com/catalog/videos/0146.asp

Beth

3. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

How about right here, in this thread? There are plenty of knowledgable folks here who can contribute some insights.

We can begin by agreeing not to call the Lord's Supper the Eucharist. Baptists don't do Eucharist.

We can also begin by agreeing not to call it a sacrament. Baptists don't do sacraments.

Elk, you want deep? I imagine before it's over, it'll really get deep in here.

4. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Chick are not known for their accuracy.

5. PeterM

PeterM Member

I am in full agreement that we should be careful as not to refer to the Lord's Table as a sacrament. God's Grace is not conveyed to us in the practice thus it is an ordinance, something to be observed.

I do not necessarily take umbridge to using the term eucharist. The word is derived from the Greek eucharisteo literally meaning "to be grateful" or "giving thanks". I think many of us bristle at the term because it is used by catholics and others. However, we should not allow that to ignore the true meaning of the term or the spirit that we ought to have when we partake.

6. rdwhite

rdwhite New Member

That is a subjective statement without any evidence. Unless I missed a sticky were the great board council has determined this to be, as they are wont to do.

7. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Okay, make your own choice. Trust them if you will.

8. rdwhite

rdwhite New Member

The main scriptures concerning this are found in the gospels were our Lord established the practice.
    Matthew 26:17-30
    Mark 14:17-25
    Luke 22:14-23

Paul speaks on the subject in reference to the church at Corinth.
    1 Corinthians 11:20-34

The manner in which most churches practice communion is traditional in nature. By traditional in nature, I mean their ceremony is based on the way they have always done it. The manner is varied among Baptist churches.

Now if you want to see a real heated debate, just ask about open versus closed communion, baptist bride, baptist bloodline, and landmarkism. :eek:

9. rdwhite

rdwhite New Member

We are off topic now, and maybe this should be addressed in another thread. I do not say I trust them implicitly, anybody is subject to mistake. I am just asking for example/evidence to back up a subjective statement. :1_grouphug:

10. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

You need only open/closed communion to make it really interesting. The rest are only distantly related to the topic, if at all.

Me? Closed.

11. Elk

Elk New Member

Thanks

Thank you so much for the website; it really helped me a lot, really.
    Thanks again.

12. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Elk, why don't you tell us where you are regarding the Lord's Supper. What are your views regarding sacramentalism? Who has the authority and responsibility to administer the ordinance? Should the Lord's Supper be offered to an unbaptized person?

Where do you stand on open, close or closed communion? Are your views solidly formed, or are they fluid? Are there areas where you are seeking more light?

We can have a good discussion about any of these areas, but a good jumping-off place would be where you are now, and questons you may have.

13. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The passage that most strongly supports the Eucharistic model is John 6:26-58. While I do not subscribe to the Eucharistic model, I do find that this passage definitely gives me a much richer understanding of communion than the "purely symbolic" model that most Baptists subscribe to.

14. Goldie

Goldie New Member

I agree. :thumbs:

15. superwoman8977

superwoman8977 New Member

Okay..well 1st of all it is called the Sacrament of Holy Communion in my bible. There are several sacraments listed--sacrament of marriage, sacrament of baptism. Secondly I believe communion should be open to anyone who feels so led to take it. I went to a church where its like you must be a member and lets just say that was the last sunday I went to that church. The church we have been trying opens communion to anyone who has a relationship with Christ and still pretty much everyone takes it--we also have it offered every Sunday as well as Wednesday as part of the worship experience. Which is like just when you feel so led during praise and worship you can stop and on Wednesdays go to the stage where the elements are there and take it back to your seat and then on weekends you pick up a communion cup and wafer wrapped in cellophane as you go into the sanctuary and then partake of it as you feel led. The more and more I see where I like how this is part of the whole worship experience. Being baptized has nothing to do with communion. I dont know why people make that a pre-requisite so to speak of a relationship with Christ. My sis wont be immersed and therefore has never been "baptized" at least how some of you think but she still loves the Lord and serves Him. Its more about a relationship with Him rather than oh you have to do this and do that and you cant be this way or that. You would be surprised how many people know and love the Lord and you cannot tell any outward signs unless you were to come right out and ask them. The numbers are staggering.

16. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

Three part sermon by John Piper:

http://www.desiringgod.org/Resource.../2003/138_Why_We_Eat_the_Lords_Supper_Part_1/

http://www.desiringgod.org/Resource.../2003/139_Why_We_Eat_the_Lords_Supper_Part_2/

http://www.desiringgod.org/Resource.../2003/140_Why_We_Eat_the_Lords_Supper_Part_3/

17. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

Superwoman777:

My friend,

I pray that you continue to grow in the grace and knowledge of Jesus Christ.

Nowhere in Scripture can this be found. It is entirely man-made.

"Wherefore whosoever shall eat this bread, and drink this cup of the Lord, unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord. " 1 Cor 11:27

The Lord's Table should only be taken by believers.

For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord's body. For this cause many are weak and sickly among you, and many sleep. For if we would judge ourselves, we should not be judged. 1 Cor 11:29-31

Open and closed communion are different issues, but the Lord's Table is only for believers.

18. Goldie

Goldie New Member

And I take it that it's a Roman Catholic Bible? Can you please tell me where it can be found? (Scripture and verse please).

Communion is a church ordinance and should only be practised by Believers, because if you take it with the wrong motive and wrong way, you actually eat and drink judgment to yourself - that's what was happening in the Corinthian Church. That's why I can't get my mind around Churches who allow EVERYONE in the congregation to partake of communion.

The Lord's Supper doesn't have any magical powers, it is just a time of remembering what Jesus did for us on the cross. So it isn't a sacrament.

Definition of a sacrament:
    A formal religious ceremony conferring a specific grace on those who receive it.

That simply isn't true.

#18 Goldie, Aug 21, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2008
  19. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

One of the biggest disagreements is whether the Lord's Supper is a Christian ordinance or a Church ordinance.

Those who hold to the Christian ordinance position believe that any gathering of believers may observe the Lord's Supper; that the decision to participate is solely an individual one. This probably the position of the majority of Baptist Boarders.

Those who hold to the Church ordinance position believe that Jesus established the ordinances and commissioned local churches to administer them. The church at Jerusalem baptized 3,000 at Pentecost and added them to the church. Paul, in I Cor 11, instructed the congregation at Corinth to "guard the ordinances." He chastised the Corinthian church for their improper observance of the Lord's Supper and instructed them on how to do it right.

Paul, in I Cor 5, demanded that the Corinth congregation disfellowship a member who was having an affair, "with such not to eat." He told them to exercise judgment regarding those to whom the Lord's Supper shall be offered.

This is the position I hold.

20. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I have a good friend who is a Catholic priest and when he and I have fun and talk theology...usually over a pint...he always goes after Baptists who claim to be "literalists" but don't accept that Communion is the actual blood and body of Christ. I usually end up referring back to the Corinthians passage and talking about the proper Baptist position (which I hold to.) It is a healthy conversation to have.

In our groups ministries we actively participate in Communion and will call it that, though we have been known to call it the Holy Table, Lord's Supper, Eucharist, etc. We just don't make it a sacrament. I'm not at all sacramental in my theology. :)